Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Books | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#233288 - Sun Feb 13 2011 12:06 PM New Generation Signage
Mikemas Offline

Loc: Roanoke Va
Hello Forum Members - I came up with this post to help shed some light on the high quality of some of the newer signs that have recently been released.

Let me make a blanket statement that Iím not trying to sell this or other signs to any of the forum members. I only wish to expose this sign to hopefully dispel the rumors that all reproduction and newer signs are only scrap!

First off, itís important to note this sign cannot be termed a reproduction, since it really does no replicate any existing sign from the past. This sign displays the recognizable Pegasus horse mounted on a flange, since the sign is 2-sided it offers the beauty and appearance of the horse jumping into space.

This product is typical of some of the newer signs we offer on our site. Unlike some of the other product out there, these signs have a quality of their own. Instead of just printing on flat straight cut piece of steel with a primed back, this sign is laser cut precisely like no other sign companies have offered in the past. If I can draw your attention to the close up images of the head or the front hoofs, you see that the laser actually rounds the edges of the steel therefore enabling just as much paint to be applied to the edge as on the field of the sign. Youíll also notice the fine blue trim line on the edges, which is thickened to again protect the sign from common chipping and rust spots that appear when the sign is mounted outdoors. Also pay attention to the surface of the sign, this coating gives both the illusion and durability of porcelain however unlike porcelain, this surface will never chip out have plugs missing when someone throws a stone at the sign.

This is an expensive sign to make since the there is both inside and outside cuts which all increase the time it takes to manufacture this product. In addition while most signs are made of 18-20, gauge steel, this sign is manufactured of even thicker material.

All in all, regardless of if youíre a vintage collector or just a guy who is dressing up his garage or basement, this sign can only enhance anyone gas collection. I hope I was able to shed some light on the new technology of both re-issue and new release signs.

Thanks

Mike

#233290 - Sun Feb 13 2011 12:11 PM Re: New Generation Signage [Re: Mikemas]
gulfiend! Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina
...moderator: please move this topic to the 'Known & Suspected Unmarked Reproductions' forum, where it will do the most good...

#233295 - Sun Feb 13 2011 12:22 PM Re: New Generation Signage [Re: gulfiend!]
KZ1000 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Mass
JUNK

#233296 - Sun Feb 13 2011 12:22 PM Re: New Generation Signage [Re: gulfiend!]
Mikemas Offline

Gulfriend,

Hello - This is not in any form of a known & suspected Reproduction sign of any sign from the past and has no place in a forum to where others are taking advantage of anyone.

I put up the post just to share it with other collectors and forum members.

Thanks for your consideration!

Mike

Edited by Mikemas (Sun Feb 13 2011 12:24 PM)

#233297 - Sun Feb 13 2011 12:25 PM Re: New Generation Signage [Re: Mikemas]
lordparaffin Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Sunbury, PA, USA
I have a lot of thoughts on this matter but somehow, knowing the explosive nature of this whole topic, I think it best to say nothing. Let's all try to use some restraint because this could turn ugly quickly.

#233298 - Sun Feb 13 2011 12:26 PM Re: New Generation Signage [Re: lordparaffin]
porcelain-neon Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Minot,ND USA
THEY NEED TO BE DATED, in a way that will damage the sign if removed.

#233299 - Sun Feb 13 2011 12:28 PM Re: New Generation Signage [Re: porcelain-neon]
Ryan Underthun Online   content

Loc: Duluth, MN U.S.A
This sign appears to be undated, so it has been moved to the proper forum.

visit my website for original gas pumps and parts

www.thepumpdump.com

#233300 - Sun Feb 13 2011 12:30 PM Re: New Generation Signage [Re: porcelain-neon]
Mikemas Offline

I did want to note that I have been discussing markings with the manufacture and we are now looking into embossing a date and number in the inside portion of the 90 angle of the flange which would make it almost impossible to remove.

Thanks

#233303 - Sun Feb 13 2011 12:33 PM Re: New Generation Signage [Re: porcelain-neon]
ward zaharia Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: yorkton sask canada
Mike lets not pretend that you know anything about manufacturing it takes no time to lazer cut 16 ga steel you can lazer cut these signs for 3.oo each and 10-1 they are not painted but powder coated.

ward

#233304 - Sun Feb 13 2011 12:34 PM Re: New Generation Signage [Re: Mikemas]
gulfiend! Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina
I DON'T OFTEN TYPE IN ALL CAPS, BECAUSE I DON'T WANT PEOPLE TO THINK I'M YELLING...PLEASE CONSIDER THIS TO BE YELLING, AS YOU SEEM TO BE 'TONE DEAF' TO WHAT EVERYONE ON THIS SITE HAS BEEN SAYING TO YOU...

...YOUR SIGN IS NOT DATED - SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE WILL BUY ONE OF THOSE SIGNS, BECAUSE IT WOULD NEVER OCCUR TO THEM THAT ANYONE WOULD MAKE SUCH A THING TODAY, AS IT SERVES NO PURPOSE OTHER THAN TO DECORATE (LIKE EARRINGS!) UNLIKE SIGNS MADE 75 YEARS AGO, WHICH WERE MADE TO ADVERTISE A PRODUCT...SOMEONE WHO SELLS YOUR SIGNS IS TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THAT PERSON...EITHER NOW, OR DOWN THE ROAD, WHEN THAT SIGN IS SOLD AND RESOLD...

...NOW HOPEFULLY YOU UNDERSTAND...YOU CAN CHANGE YOUR METHODS OR GO ON WITH THE KNOWLEDGE OF WHAT YOU ARE DOING...

...I SUPPOSE YOU GOT TIRED OF TRYING TO MAKE A BUCK OFF OF ORIGINAL ITEMS, AS IT'S HARDER TO SUPPLY THAT DEMAND, AND SAW THIS AS A LOT EASIER...

#233305 - Sun Feb 13 2011 12:38 PM Re: New Generation Signage [Re: Mikemas]
Mikemas Offline

I'm confused why on a sign that is not a reproduction of any sign in existence would be moved to this forum . . .

The post was put up as general information for the forum members only.

#233306 - Sun Feb 13 2011 12:41 PM Re: New Generation Signage [Re: Mikemas]
ward zaharia Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: yorkton sask canada
I guess you do not want to respond to my question/ Your question is simple date it on the flange and it is over other than that it is a un marked repo re issue repo fantasy they are all the same.

#233307 - Sun Feb 13 2011 12:42 PM Re: New Generation Signage [Re: ward zaharia]
hillsideshortleg Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Spokane, Washington
I am really suprized this post is still up?
Also I sure did like the number of post showing!! It gave me a little better idea on who's thoughts I was reading

#233308 - Sun Feb 13 2011 12:42 PM Re: New Generation Signage [Re: Mikemas]
Mikemas Offline

I just ask that you guys play fair . . . I found numerous items in the general discussion forums that were not original and not dated yet they don't appear on this forum why is that?

#233309 - Sun Feb 13 2011 12:42 PM Re: New Generation Signage [Re: Mikemas]
T-way Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Riley, MI, USA
Okay Mike:

Read this r e a l slow and maybe you can understand.

In twenty years when this sign has hung in the weather and aged - a new collector won't be able to tell if this is an original piece produced by Mobil or something produced by an unscrupulous sign-maker.

Was that clear enough for you?

BTW - are these authorized by Mobil Corporation?

Later . . .

Jim

Edited by T-way (Sun Feb 13 2011 12:49 PM)
Edit Reason: Can't spell!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun, Watchdog5 

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2017 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved