Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
If rust is all that is left then most likely there is a lot of pitting going on. Media blasting is the most efficient at cleaning this up. I blast several times a week for my brother-in-law's blasting shop and rust takes time to clean up right. When we have anything sensitive to warping, turning the blast pressure down to around 55 lbs and using a fine or reused blast media works very well. We use glass and I always work at a slight distance from the material and using broad strokes while moving around to different areas to keep heat to an absolute minimum. On heavier metals and metals that have any kind of form or shape to them, they hold up very well. If you can find a way to have it done, I very much recommend blasting them.

........Dave

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
B
BIGTOM Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Thanks Dave,

I am considering buying a media blaster because by the time I have it blasted, I could probably own a complete outfit myself. I am a pretty handy guy and I have used a sand blast cabinet before. Is using the blasting guy outside of the blasting cabinet all that much different? Grinding is definitely out at this point and I will check into a resto shop to see what they've got going on w/regards to the chemical treatment - but it's looking more and more like the media blasting will be the ultimate solution.

thanks again everyone, this is very helpful

Tom

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
TOM--??
Blasting Cabinet--$1800 cheapo
Air compressor--$2500
Lines & accessories--$500
---------------------------
$4800 ?
Send it out!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
B
BIGTOM Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
I found a blasting cabinet which must be the ULTIMATE cheapo at Tractor Supply for everything (bonnet etc) except for the skins for $99 and a buddy has an air compressor to run it that I can borrow. There are also gravity fed blasters that I was thinking about using for the skins. Do you all think this strategy wont work? I have read several comments and the small cabinet at TSC appears to be able to handle smaller stuff. Hopefully this will do the trick, if not YIKES!!! shocked

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
All I can say is that you're in for an experience and I've used a lot of different commercial type media blasters with lots of different compressors, including double compressor setups!

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
B
BIGTOM Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
UGH, that doesn't sound good. As previously mentioned, I am on a pretty serious budget (trying to keep it at $1000). Trying to stay disciplined; Im gonna talk to the fabricator guy who I've been emailing and weigh my options after that. I appreciate the help and assistance. I am going to try to get the old girl up and photos taken this weekend, so you can all see what I am dealing with. I'm sure it is similar to what everyone here is working with.

More to come...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Check around and see if there are any that you can rent time on! I rent one by the hour from a mechanic friend and he charges me $20 a time(usually an hour). I like it because it saves me the room and the mess thats always around one, and I have no costs of operatio! Perfect!

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
IF (big IF) you have a large air compressor - or a lot of patience - I would highly recommend skipping (more like postponing) the blasting cabinet and get yourself a pressurized sandblaster pot. You can buy a junker import for $100-150 that will last a while (been there done that) or spend around $400 and get a quality, made in USA tool that will serve you well a long time.

My dad and I both use the Texasblaster (Texasblaster.com) - it's well made and works great. You can also type this number into oldgas Ebay search box at bottom of this page and see a similar model for $400 delivered: 190459618613 I have not seen/used this model but it looks pretty well made?

I've even made adapters to hook up my pressure pot to my blast cabinet. Once you use a pressurized blaster you can't go back to siphon feed. It's so much faster and easier.

Keep an eye out for a deal on a cabinet as sandblasting outdoors is no fun - hot and messy usually. Cabinets are great for small parts and quick clean ups.

Hope this helps - good luck with your project.

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
I've only done one pump so far and it sounds like you're in the same boat as I was/am. Trying to save cash for the next one. I took the stripper, flapper, wire wheel (three different kinds), sander, rust inhibitor, bondo route. I put the stripper on and within 15 minutes most of it bubbled right up. Just use some dishwashing gloves and a scrapper and you'll probably get 75% or more off (I did it outside). After that I used a wire wheel on an angle grinder moving back and forth trying not to stay in spot too long. For small area with inside corners I'd used either a sander or small wire wheel on a dremel.

Here is a picture of my side panels one before and one after. I guess it all depends on how much time you got. I think it only took me an hour on that clean one.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Life is like a video game. The more you play, the better you get!!!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Big Tom,
Before you invest a lot of bucks read and follow this thread on electrolysis. It is safe whena few simple rules are followed, has worked GREAT for me for 5 pumps. It removes not only paint but RUST with little or no effort and very low cost.
Hope this helps.
Rod van Pelt

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=127342

Looking to buy or trade old gas station memorabilia such as pumps, globes, cans, signs, free give-aways, S&P shakers etc. from the 20s-60s.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Another OLD post of a Pressure Pot Sand Blaster I built on a small budget. I can pull the PVC pipe up to do closeup work or push to nozzle. Pot holds over 300#. I used 80-120#of air for most pump blasting.
http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=10093&Number=54930#Post54930

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Tue Mar 01 2011 09:39 PM.
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
looks good Dick. If you are looking to build a pressure pot - there is a guy selling plans on ebay (220747040024) for about $8 - says it includes cad drawings, parts list/sources etc and has gotten favorable reviews from purchasers? My experience is you are probably better off going this route using quality parts than buying the import that WILL fall apart. I would spend my time building a blaster before I spent hours stripping, sanding, wire wheeling,etc. You'll have a tool for life. Good luck.

C
C
I have used DeWalt angle grinder with the flapper discs of various grits and was very satisfied with the removal of rust and paint.

Larry

I really dont care much for paint stripper. The stuff is very toxic, and expensive to get rid of properly. I would recommend having the parts media blasted.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: K W FRITH
TOM--??
Blasting Cabinet--$1800 cheapo
Air compressor--$2500
Lines & accessories--$500
---------------------------
$4800 ?
Send it out!
WELL SAID! YOUR OVER THINKING THIS TOM, A CABINET WILL NOT SUIT YOUR NEEDS ANYWAYS ,SMALL PARTS YES,LARGE PANELS .......NO! SEND IT OUT! YOU WILL BE BETTER OFF,ALOT OF PLACES WILL BLAST LARGE STUFF ONCE A WEEK AND GET TOGETHER A LOT AND BLAST ALL AT ONCE , "ITS CHEAP" GITTER DONE, BE SURE TO GET SOME PRIMER ON THE PIECES YOU HAVE BLASTED IF YOU DO NOT PLAN ON SPRAYING FOR A WHILE ,"TRY TO KEEP ANY RUST FROM RE SURFACING" YOU WILL DO JUST FINE!

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved