Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I've got to tell you that there is a lot of very good advice here and a lot of different ways to go about getting these cleaned. But I honestly feel your pain with a budget and I still think after all is said and done, that having them blasted, as a opposed to buying into a lot of equipment or materials s the way to go. The only other option that I see as both cost effective AND thorough at the same time is the electrolysis method but this is not something I am well versed on.

........Dave

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I would just find a professional media blaster and have it done. All the skins, frame and base runs between $50-$100 to have done. That sounds like allot, but in the long run it is cheap. I used to do all paint and rust removal myself, but after a while, I realized it was costing much more for me to do it. A gallon of paint stripper was $25, a wire wheel was $10, and sand paper was $15. All that was $50 and I hadn't even started yet. Here is the kicker, It took me almost 30 hours of very hard work to clean the panels, and they wheren't that good when done. Then after all that, I still had to clean up the huge mess. If you factor the materials and your time, it is much cheaper in the end to have it done. Now I take everything to the blaster, pick it up perfectly clean 2 days later. No mess, no fuss, no problems at all.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well said and I agree totally!! Let them do it and save yourself some time, headache and probably some money and get a better job in the end.

Keith

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
B
BIGTOM Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
WOW WOW WOW - so much information!!! This is why this site and all these years of frustration ERRRR - experience is something that I would call a god send. Thank you all very much and I am going to get a bid on blasting first THEN check into the electrolosis for the smaller stuff. I have a bonnet that is in pristine condition and I dont want some guy to ruin it as they are tough to come by. MAN, I am speechless as to the advice that I have gotten for my issue. The angle grinder be DAMNED!!!

thanks again and for anyone going to Pate, the first round of beers* is on me!!!

BIG TOM

*or whatever you want to drink

F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
Hmmmmm.....Can't believe nobody's suggested a molasses bath

I figured by now SOMEbody here would have built a container big enough to lay a complete pump in....

That stuff works!(slow)....I've seen it turn rusty brown 80 yr old sheetmetal body parts into clean bare metal

B
BIGTOM Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Originally Posted By: fins n vtwins
Hmmmmm.....Can't believe nobody's suggested a molasses bath

I figured by now SOMEbody here would have built a container big enough to lay a complete pump in....

That stuff works!(slow)....I've seen it turn rusty brown 80 yr old sheetmetal body parts into clean bare metal

Molasses? Like the kind you bake with? Please elaborate and provide photos. I am assuming you would need somehting like a horse troph to lay these skins in... thats a LOT of molasses. I wouldn't even know where to get that much. Also, how long would I need to lay this stuff in there for?

Thanks

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Molasses in 5gal cans is available at most feed stores, for cattle, horses, sheep & goats. Even in Calif !

F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
Yeah, like Dick said, buy it at the co-op or feed store---it's pretty cheap....I think the mix ratio is 5:1 with water(?) Only drawback I've heard other than the smell is the time factor---up to 2 or 3 weeks soaking for real rusty stuff.
I don't have any pics/links(not sure I am smart enuf to post 'em if I did)...do a search, it's out there.
I shipped some of the brownest, crustiest sheetmetal for a 26 Chevy to a friend in Australia....he soaked it and I swear it looked like new cold rolled steel after 3-4 weeks
Oh yeah, the guys I've seen doing it build a frame out of 2x4s and line it with heavy plastic and cover it with plastic while it's working. Small stuff can go in a tupperware tub with a lid.

Last edited by fins n vtwins; Thu Mar 03 2011 07:18 PM.
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Molasses? Just molasses and water? Thats a new one on me. Someone must try this. I vote for DB.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Keep tightly covered or you'll have soo many Bees & Yellow Jackets around that you won't be able to get near.
I'll WELD Wayne 60 frame rails to make the box. Can't buy new steel w/ what I was offered for them.
Maybe some time AFTER I get Storage Yard MOVED!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved