Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#23780 Thu May 24 2007 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
3.43 9/10 for regular and 2.92 9/10 for diesel. I have a problem when it costs me over $10.00 to fill my motorcycle. Granted it sounds cheap compared to filling the Motorhome but Holly Cow Batman, it is only a motorcycle! Now that I am on a fixed income $10.00 seems like a lot of money just to joy ride. So I ride my bike and my girlish figure is getting a workout!!!
Good day,
Mike

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#23781 Thu May 24 2007 03:44 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Supply and demand??????? How about this....if you have enough money to pay for what they are demanding you can buy all the'supply' you want. Ain't no shortage, never was. This is mass marketing folks plain and simple. Someone mentioned the poor oil economy in the 80s, in the 70s when the big "shortage" started and the long lines at the pumps etc it was all BS then and is now again. In the 70s I worked for the RR and we recieved an embargo notice to not bill any tank cars of petroleum to Mexico because the border was flooded with them and the Mexicans didn't have enough locomotive power to pull them across the border, for hiding no doubt. And another thing they are getting a lot of mileage (pun) of not having enough refineries the last few yrs to meet the demand. The big bucks all oil companies have is more than enough to build a refinery once a week and write it off as a capital investment. EPA.....when pigs fly as the man in CA said. This country runs on nothing but big business money and all the politicans are on the payroll.
That's about 2 bits worth. Oh ya forgot, our congress forgave the oil company in Alaska the bill for the crude they are pumping. They get it free guys. Poor oil barons.

#23782 Fri May 25 2007 12:36 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Isn't it a gas? NOT!!! There goes my kids' inheritance...

Here is a whimsical look at the atate of affairs (and I wish I was having an affair!) to give everyone a laugh.

None of this is true.

Sultan Oil Patch wants to start collecting gas pumps--that's right, the petroliana stuff. But, there is not enough revenue coming in to pay for everything, especially his harem, if he starts the gas pump hobby.

So, he sends out press releases that there are problems at a couple or three dozen of his refineries. Since he owns stock in media companies, they print his story.

People like you and I are caught in the crosshairs and stop collecting petroliana stuff because it costs more just to live week to week.

He cuts his refinery production (or so he says), raises his prices, and reaps a windfall. I mean the megillah of windfalls.

With falling petroliana prices due to a slowed demand, he scoops the stuff up and attains a near monopoly. Prices of petroliana items go into the stratosphere.

Disguntled petroliana collectors, many of whom are working in large metro areas, get fed up with it all. They sell off everything and get back to the land. Those that already have land look for ways to put it to good use.

Some of the inventive ones come up with ways to turn their newly acquirred acres into corn production. The former petro collectors band together and go into ethanol production without a large corporation mentality and make a fortune. Collectively they are well off and since they are decent guys to begin with as former petro collectors, they get along well as a group.

Sultan Oil Patch, disgusted with falling prices for oil and gasoline, dumps his holdings. His near monopoly in petro stuff runs its course. He dumps his holdings.

With his cash horde, the Sultan hires the ex-petro collectors to turn his acres of sand into corn production so that he can get into ethanol which has higher rates of return than oil and gas.

But, the 'ol boys have him by the short hairs and charge him so f---in' much money that The Sultan has to sell everything except a 4 bedroom 2 1/2 bath home and a couple of camels, and a 10 y.o Merceds.

The harem is gone--all the young women become involved with the finacially secure ex-petro collectors. The Sultan can afford an ex-hooker from Cleveland once a week and that's it.

Ta da!!!

Laugh guys, c'mon, you can do it!

Happy Memorial Day to all.

#23783 Fri May 25 2007 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Remember - without oil this site wouldnt be here and we would all be collectiog something else- don

------------------
Wanted 5 quart cans

[b] Wanted 5 quart cans -old speed equipment -1950-60s- Cad- Olds std shift parts - site at www.oilnspeed.com
#23784 Sat May 26 2007 04:50 AM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
It is very easy and convenient to bash the major oil companies. What we have to consider is that the prices are set by traders and not the companies. Also they are responsibe to their shareholders to make a decent profit or the stock goes down. The majors do make a decent profit but it is not near the top in ranks of industries as far as profit margins or rate of return for shareholders. When we hear that Exxon Mobil made 8 billion last quarter consider that it is the largest corp in the world and much of these profits go into retirement funds and portfolios that we depend on for our retirement. Just something to consider.

#23785 Sat May 26 2007 05:42 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Don, well said.
Of all websites, I was surprised to see this pop up here.
Granted, none of us like paying the higher price. But as petrol collectors, I would have thought we were better educated than the general public on this.

With all the talk of hotrods, and hemi's in trucks, and how bad everyones fuel mileage is, then to complain about the gas price is like the old saying "Don't complain about the farmer with your mouth full".

Lets don't forget to thank the fine folks at the E.P.A. department, that are concerned with your health and environment, that Mandate lower RVP formula gasolines during the summer months which are much more expensive to make.

And just to be fair, we will have different formulas for different cities. So it can't be produced by just any refinery in any market, each area will have it's own special requirement. That way if there is a problem at the refinery, it can't be trucked in from other markets to help keep the price down.

Why don't we hear people complaining the Wonderful new E85 Ethanol blend gasoline, that gives you reduced fuel mileage, and is selling for about 40¢ more than a gallon of gas?

Last year Straight Ethanol hit $5.00 a gallon, but no one ever mentioned how that price affected the gas price.

OK, I'll shut up.
Chuck

#23786 Sat May 26 2007 12:06 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Corn alcohol is not the answer to our problems....we have to start raising switch grass and lots of it. You get almost 1200 gallons/acre of ethanol from switch grass and only around 300 from corn. Plus, for every 1.0 unit of energy you put into an acre of corn you only get back about 1.3 units of energy.

#23787 Sat May 26 2007 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Or be like Argentina, 0 import of oil. All vehicles must be able to run on ethanol.

#23788 Sat May 26 2007 12:20 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
I read an article from ISU where they stated it actually takes more than a gallon of fossil fuel to make a gallon of ethanol from corn. If it weren’t for gov. subsidizing it would be a bust. But hey were building 5 new ethanol plants in Iowa, corn prices should skyrocket and make even more economically stupid.

But it does help farmers and I'm all for that, but Ethanol from corn is not the answer, it's a bandaid at best.

Brian

[This message has been edited by BLange (edited 05-26-2007).]

Always looking for SKELLY items.
#23789 Sat May 26 2007 12:25 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
DB said "Or be like Argentina, 0 import of oil. All vehicles must be able to run on ethanol."

They make theirs from sugar beets, if I'm not mistaken.

Brian

Always looking for SKELLY items.
#23790 Sat May 26 2007 02:26 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Takes 1.06 gallons of Fossel Fuel to make one gallon of Ethanol.

1 bushell of corn makes 2.5 gallons of Ethanol.

The Ethanol I have been hauling is 200 proof before it is denatured.

I say lets just drink the stuff.....

#23791 Sat May 26 2007 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm in!!!!

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
#23792 Sat May 26 2007 06:32 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
I’ve been following this thread with a great deal of amazement and amusement. There's been so much populist nonsense spouted off here that I need to put on some hip boots. A few posters seem to know how the oil industry really works but most are either totally ignorant or poorly informed.

First of all, the main reason that petroleum products prices have been going higher is increased demand and not enough surplus capacity. The primary reason for the lag in supply is the bottleneck in the refining and distribution infrastructure. There have been no refineries built in the USA in over thirty years. Blame this on government regulation and historically poor refining and marketing economics. There are onerous regulatory permitting hurdles, red tape, expenses and the popular “not in my backyard” syndrome which make new refineries unfeasible. Don’t believe this? Do some real homework.

Secondly, the oil industry is just average in financial returns even in today’s pricing environment. Don’t believe it? Check out the financial metrics of various industries (ROCE - rate of return, capital investment, gross and net margins, etc) and compare. You will find that the oil industry is overly capital intensive with an average return over the long term. Go check out the financial metrics for Google, Microsoft and other tech companies for the real gougers in the world.

Thirdly, the oil industry is similar to the meat packing business in that people want to see the steak on the table but don’t want to know how it got there, let alone have the slaughterhouse in the neighborhood. ALL future oil & gas products will be more expensive. Guaranteed. That’s because the CHEAP oil has already been found. All the future big finds will be in politically unstable countries, remote regions or in deep water. Read about "peak oil" and you will see that the world is on a collision course with disaster. We should be encouraging politicians to allow development of known reserves and also pushing for viable and economic alternative energy sources.

Lastly, the oil market is global. Prices are set by thousands of traders in competitive markets. There are NO companies big enough in the global economy to set prices or even collude with other companies. There are NO tankers waiting off shore for higher prices. There were NO devices ever invented to save gasoline that were bought out by the oil companies. There’s NO petroleum products held off the market to drive up prices. Don’t believe these ridiculous urban legends because they make no real economic sense.

Bottom line...one should always know the facts before spouting off at the mouth. Americans are so spoiled by generations of cheap energy that there are no easy solutions today. Don’t like the current prices? You can always park that gas guzzler and help reduce demand. If enough people do that, prices WILL drop. You can’t repeal Economics 101 no matter how much you whine.

#23793 Sat May 26 2007 08:23 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
....or another alternative that would help would be to do like Germany has done for years to help cut oil consumption. They follow the old Bible rule of 'no work on Sunday' that we USED to do in this country before the age of Super Wal-Mart.

EVERYTHING starts closing down about 2:00 P.M. on Saturday. NO business is opened on Sunday. ALL big trucks are forbidden to be on the road from 10 P.M. Sat. nite til 10:00 P.M. Sunday nite, because ' Sunday is FAMILY day and it is safer to keep the big trucks off of the road.' We could go a step further and mandate a national highway speed limit of 50 mph. (everbody drives 10-15 over the limit anyway.)

I lived and worked in Germany and developed a very fond awareness of how we Americans are a bunch of self serving slobs. We don't want to sacrifice any of our comforts. Let the other guy do it, we're too into ourselves. These things will never come to pass because the very rich Americans are never satisfied,,,the ones who run business,,they want it all.

Think how peaceful it would be here w/ people staying at home on Sunday and not running 15 miles to Wal-Mart to buy paper towels they could have picked up when they were there Saturday morning. Ask any German about their impression of America. If they have been here they will tell you that they can't believe our go-go-go culture and stores open all nite and people running all over in their cars.

We're all guilty of this. Maybe we should learn from the foreigners. Maybe the Big Three wouldn't be going down the tubes like they are if they built better fuel efficient cars.......

Anyway enough I've rambled too long here. Back to petro stuff.

#23794 Sun May 27 2007 04:32 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yeah -those Germans have always been such good humanitarians havent they? It is Memorial day weekend-don't forget! Why don't you take your foot out of your mouth and take a walk.

[This message has been edited by JimT (edited 05-27-2007).]

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved