Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
L
As I look for these cans, I see cans with one handle ,cans with two handles.Example Davis Welding Co. cast iron neck,cast screw on lid. Found 5gal. one side handle,found 10gal.two handle. Is there a difference as to which one used for petro,which one used for oil. Is it as simple as a matter of weight,as two handles would come in handy if you tryed to carry 10gal. most sellers don't seem to have answer as they just say oil or gas.

Last edited by Loyd Pierce; Wed Mar 02 2011 04:12 PM. Reason: failed spelling bee

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
It was my understanding that these were used to measure gasoline delivered off an unmetered wagon in the Twenties? Inside of most of these cans is an indicator which shows volume of five or ten gallons. Never thought that they were used for oil? Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yes, Fuel Oil Trucks used them, I believe most of the cans you see are for Fuel Oil Deliveries. They would fill the cans and walk them up 3 flights of stairs sometimes, (as my Father has told me from experience)/ The Gas ones were usually used at Gas Stations by the Weights and Measures guys to be sure the pumps were pumping what they read on the computer, They usually have the longer necks on them.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Here is an example of two different types of cans.
I think the one or two handle was just a different feature of the manufacturer.

The Fluted ones mentioned were for transporting Oil.
The Black ones in my photo were for gas delivery. (these are branded Standard Oil of Indiana and Roxana)
The Steel Oil Cans were marked in several ways if Branded, some were just generic in nature.
The SOCONY shows the most popular way they were marked just under the neck. Some just had Initials like P O for Pure Oil. Gulf, Phillips and Ohio Oil were spelled out.
Some had brass tags lead soldered onto them, and some had the name embossed in the side.
Don't have a photo of the tall neck liquid measure, to my knowledge they were not used as actual delivery cans, just for testing meters. There is a post on here about them.

Chuck

SteelCans01W.JPG 5GallonGasCansW.JPG SOCONY logo2.JPG red Ohio Oil.jpg
Last edited by Gaspedler; Thu Mar 03 2011 12:20 AM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
That's the most info. I've heard on these at one time from anyone. I've always liked these cans but you never seem to hear much on them except for seeing them occassionally in old photos on trucks and wagons. Thanks Chuck for the pics and info. I know a little more about what I have and what I run across.

........Dave
L
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
L
Hey like Dave ,I thank you guys for your in put I was just going to watch and learn. I not sure why I like the cans so much, just think they look neat, color matched to pumps,as add on.

THANKS AGAIN.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally, most of these can's weren't painted.
But a lot of guys like to paint them company colors to make them more displayable.
The two in my photo on the bottom right (above) are identical, Standard Oil of Indiana cans. (both have the lead soldered brass tag on them). As you can see, the Red and White one looks a lot nicer than the rusted one.
Here are some more styles. All the 10 gallons I have seen have two handles. These cans are heavy in themselves.
Can't imagine picking up a 10 gallon one full. Like KZ1000 mentioned. I would hate to carry these up stairs to fill a Bulk Oil Dispenser.

Cangroup.jpg
Last edited by Gaspedler; Thu Mar 03 2011 04:08 PM. Reason: add photo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
What my Dad carried upstairs was range oil to fill the old Oil stoves that had the resevoir on the back. The stoves eventually got pumps and put 55 gallon drums in the basement or first floor

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great info Chuck. That's the most comprehensive collection of bulk/transfer cans I've ever seen. Very nice.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I had always intended to put a section on my website showing each of the above type cans and explain what their initial use was, but, just getting too old, and it has become apparent that the biggest thing I have to do is to liquidate my literature collection.
For years I ran about 150 items on Ebay, I now have almost 2000, and it is mostly paper.

I just put on two service station equipment catalogs, and each one of them have large sections showing most of these cans. Here are the Ebay addresses:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370489716971&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370490011824&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

If you are interested in any of my items, be sure to bid on them through Old Gas, this helps support this site.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Here is a picture from The Pocahontas Oil Company (Bought out by Hickok Oil) Cleveland,Ohio from March 19,1930 from NPN about filling bulk oil cans.

I can scan the rest of the article and post if anybody is interested.

Randy grin

Always looking for Hy-Flash Gas/Miller Oil, Hi-Speed Gas/ Hickok Oil and Paragon Refining items from Toledo,Ohio.
L
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
L
I could stand in the middle of all them bulk/transfer cans in last pic,and be in can heaven,huh. Thanks for all the knowledge, I'm loaded and looking forward to the hunt.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved