Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#239019 Mon Mar 07 2011 07:11 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Just wondering what is the general opinion about leaving the pump and motors in pumps, is best to drop them , or restore them and leave in? do you lose value by dropping them?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
josh g hadley #239027 Mon Mar 07 2011 07:28 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That one is up to you.

We have members who believe strongly in either scenario. There is a group that says, a pump should have the guts inside, as it did when it was operating. There are others that say, toss them.... just extra weight.

As I said... It's your pump, you have the opportunity to do what you want with it. As too value, I haven't seen it lowered because a pump did or didn't have the guts in it. Now freight costs are another story....... LOL

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
josh g hadley #239031 Mon Mar 07 2011 07:33 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hi, Josh welcome to the site! This question comes up from time to time. If you will click on this link you'll of get some opinions stated here about a month ago.
Hope this helps.
Rod van Pelt
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.p...true#Post232220

Last edited by rvanpelt; Mon Mar 07 2011 07:35 PM.

Looking to buy or trade old gas station memorabilia such as pumps, globes, cans, signs, free give-aways, S&P shakers etc. from the 20s-60s.
rvanpelt #239032 Mon Mar 07 2011 07:35 PM
J
OP Offline
J
thanks for the help guys

josh g hadley #239114 Tue Mar 08 2011 06:27 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Personaly,I like mine with them if at all possible & will pay more,as compared to one without..They also help aid in preventive theft if you keep em outside,as the weigh it down more.It's not too hard to clean out the guts and get them up & running too.YOU can always take them out & set them aside later.If someone else takes them out before you,they usually throw them away prior,and in todays world their nearly gone forever..

Last edited by coldpizza; Tue Mar 08 2011 06:49 AM.
Cold Pizza #239155 Tue Mar 08 2011 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I like mine removed for the lack of weight. But, I will agree with Coldpizza. If I were to put one outisde, it would stay intact so it didn't "walk away" or less likely to blow over.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Alex #239163 Tue Mar 08 2011 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have sold every pump I owned that didn't have the guts, and have come to the conclusion that, for me anyway, removing the guts is like taking the soul of the pump away, it would be like having a collection of cars you never drive, and removing the driveline so they are easier to roll around. That being said, its up to you and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Visit our Website or FaceBook Page

Lance @ Pogos Garage

Pogo's Garage #239213 Tue Mar 08 2011 03:57 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Just a tip... if you take the guts out, you are less likely to damage the pump when moving it (since it’s arguably easier to move with the less weight).

If you're worried about losing value or appeal to a future buyer, here is what I would do. 1) Remove the guts and put them in a box (well labeled). 2) Stick a note in the pump reminding anyone of the box with the "soul" in it. This gives anyone the ability to put the working pump mechanism back into the pump. Be sure to keep the bolts, etc. Maybe even some photos of the pump mechanism before removal.

My personal opinion… you are less likely to pump gas with your pump than you are to drive your classic car in and out of its show trailer. Some people do use their pumps for gas and that’s cool, but highly unlikely with permitting and everything involved, unless you are on a farm.

Always looking for Red Indian Tins, McColl Frontenac, McColl Bros., Buffalo (prarie cities oil co), Stellarene and other western canadian tins.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved