Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
grabber Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I wanted to let a few of the oldgassers here know how much I appreciated all of their help and support at the Peotone show this year. Before leaving for the show I installed two brand new batteries in my "generally" faithful 96 f350 diesel...we arrived late Thursday with no problems...on Friday morning we headed out to the truck to go to Dan's sale...I turned the key and NOTHING...the truck seemed to have no power...we had a mechanic come take a look and he said it was the alternator...luckily the owner of the HoJo in Manteno gave us a ride to the show...(he's a super cool guy and I recommend this hotel for the Peotone show!!!) While at the auction I called Advance Auto parts...they actually delivered an alternator to our hotel...
Keep in mind we are about 11 hours from home (live in western NC)...okay...paranoia setting in for us...we have no tools...no ride....and we go to Peotone to BUY lol...I had a stack of signs to pick up from Dan and no idea what exactly to do...Then roll in the old gassers....I talked with John Mancino and he graciously let me borrow his on the road tool kit (THANK YOU JOHN!!!)...another gentleman at the show loaned me his jumper cables (to help get the truck going)...I do not know his name (he was set up beside the door adjacent to the snack bar).
So we have tools...jumper cables...while at the show I talked with Bob Drake and Scott Shipers sbout our situation...both guys immediately offered to help (YOU GUYS ROCK!) They helped Robert (my buddy) and myself stack all of our purchases in Dan's booth (thanks Dan)...and then gave us a ride back to the hotel.
How many old gassers does it take to install and alternator - FOUR lol...We installed the alternator in 15 minutes and now it was time to fire the beast...I hop in...turn the key and once again...NOTHING...the old girl wouldnt fire...Paranoia sets in again....
Now here's when Bob (did I mention Bob rocks) says well..."I'll give you a ride to Advance Auto parts." We leave for Advance pick up a starter...and starter cellanoid (just to be safe)...and go to get dinner (cant remember the name of the pizza place however it is AWESOME - Chicago (area) pizza rules!
After finishing dinner Bob, Karen, Scott, Robert and I head back to the hojo for the starter & starter cellanoid install....its about 35 degrees...and raining....everyone helps push the 7500 pound f350 under the canopy at the entrance of the hotel...we toss down a tarp...and a packing blanket for the install to start...Bob helps install the starter cellanoid...we try to fire the truck...still nothing...
Time to climb under the beast (f350) and install the starter...Bob and Robert take turns handing me wrenches...sockets and extensions...holding the flashlight etc...we finally get the starter in (getting close to 11 PM at this point)...did I mention it was 35 and raining....BRRRRR....Anyway I hop in the truck...turn the key and BAM! The 7.3 powerstroke fires to life (better than it has since I've owned it I might add)! We now have a RUNNING TRUCK...and a way to make it to the show...and get home.
Bob, Karen, Scott, John (Dave/canosaurus - emotional support lol) - you all rock and I owe you big time. You all are what makes this hobby great! I wanted to offer a HUGE THANK YOU!!! Had it not been for you we would be at a garage in Manteno today...waiting on our truck to be repaired. You truly are great friends and if I can ever do anything to help you out - just let me know. Oldgassers Rule!

Wanted: Husky Cans/Signs, Interesting Pump Plates and NC Road Signage

Website www.petrojoe.com
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great story! Its times like those that give a renewed faith in humanity! Wish I could have been there to help! I've bought stuff from you on ebay but never met you yet! One day, I guess!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Glad to hear it all worked out and you lived to tell about it. Good place to break down is where you have friends!

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
great story!!! that`s the old gas spirit,takeing care of one another,,,that`s what its all about these days,,theirs enough negative in this world now!!!! glad it worked out for you GRABBER!!! ALAN

Big Al`s Garage
Always looking for::
Veedol-Tydol-Tidex-Cycol-Tycol.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Excellent story, with a fantastic ending. As Jim said, If you had to break-down it was in a great location. (I'm sure you all would have preferred that it was atleast 30 degrees warmer while working on your rig, though)

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Great story ,not so great when you was dealing with it,I'm sure. I make a lot of solo bike trips,and if I'm headed to a bike event,and have trouble,some one allways comes to the recuse. Mom and Pop hotels are great for, doing what they can.But when trouble hits, just out there by yourself,it can sometimes be hard to get fix and back on road, and can be costly,as something as simple as a flat is big deal on a bike. So I try to carry as much as possable. If your every out there, broke, fing a guy on a bike, he will have tools or he has got more money,than sense and new to the sport of long travel.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Very nice to hear about the good that are in the members.
Mike

C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
Grabber, let it be known, I love my 1997, F250, 3/4 ton heavy duty, powerstroke, it will haul any kind of load, or trailer. However, after changing starters on my own, and helping 3 of my farmer, cattlemen friends change them on identical trucks, I actually carry with me a 17mm socket, a 1/2" ratchet, a universal, a long and a short extension. This will get the starter off. Also a 5/8" or 11/16 box wrench, this will get the batt. cable loose.Between the 4 of us, we actually keep a spare starter at one guys garage,We finally figured out that if you throw away that steel nut on the batt. starter terminal, and use a bronze or brass nut,it helps a bunch. If you have to have trouble, its always nice to have a bunch of Old Gassers around to help. Best of luck in the future.Norm.

Norm Huff
grabber Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks for the responses guys...and all of the helpful tips (note to self...carry at a minimum tools). After swapping everything out the truck runs/starts like a champ...I have always liked older rides vs new ones... Have a great day everyone.
Joey

Wanted: Husky Cans/Signs, Interesting Pump Plates and NC Road Signage

Website www.petrojoe.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yeah it was cold and rainy but Joey and Robert kept the mood light. Anyone that knows them, knows they are a hoot.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved