Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Books | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Topic Options
#238846 - Mon Mar 07 2011 08:29 AM Fake Porcelain Gulf roadsign?
K W FRITH Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Devils Lake, ND---USA
I've never seen these repoped before but this one is in way too nice of shape! These usually have some amount of damage to them but this on is way too clean! That, and given the fact that this is the same seller that was listing the phony T-53 Pegasus signs, I think I'd steer clear!

Ebay# 150571125800
Cell#-701-739-6133

#238853 - Mon Mar 07 2011 09:34 AM Re: Fake Porcelain Gulf roadsign? [Re: K W FRITH]
THE AMERICAN GARAGE Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: PECONIC BAY, L.I., NY, USA
Kevin, there is a huge difference between this and an original, besides it being way too white. The fonts are all wrong and the logo just looks horrible.

Keep littleshanno on your "selling fakes as ' fresh from an estate'" list. I messaged them telling them it was more like "fresh from the porcelain sign factory!"

#238869 - Mon Mar 07 2011 10:30 AM Re: Fake Porcelain Gulf roadsign? [Re: THE AMERICAN GARAGE]
KZ1000 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Mass
the originals are also about 60" tall. If someone buys that as an original shame on them for not doing at least little homework

#238937 - Mon Mar 07 2011 02:41 PM Re: Fake Porcelain Gulf roadsign? [Re: KZ1000]
gulfiend! Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina
...horrible, simply horrible...that's the laziest counterfeiter I've even seen...

#239214 - Tue Mar 08 2011 05:02 PM Re: Fake Porcelain Gulf roadsign? [Re: gulfiend!]
Gas stuff.com Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Syracuse,NY USA
I like how he says from a local estate. He never says its old. Maybe its from the estate of the repro man?

#239240 - Tue Mar 08 2011 06:30 PM Re: Fake Porcelain Gulf roadsign? [Re: Gas stuff.com]
always lookin Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Pa.
font, trees are wrong. Blues are too dark.

#239502 - Wed Mar 09 2011 07:50 PM Re: Fake Porcelain Gulf roadsign? [Re: always lookin]
grabber Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Lynn, NC USA
This sign is metal...painted metal not porcelain...I also noticed a small single sided porcelain version of the gulf lighthouse signs at hershey this year...it was small and actually was porcelain...and it had pretty large grommets on it...its the only smaller actual porcelain version I've ever seen (repop)...The real ones are pretty easy to tell from the "PoppyMcPopplesons" aka Repo's...

Website www.petrojoe.com

Moderator:  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun, Watchdog5 

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2017 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved