Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
fast66 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Take a look at this one. It is so bad and since it is not only stencilwork who sells them, I am sure they will be all over the place now.
http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-MOBIL-GAS-ST...8#ht_500wt_1156

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Another chucklehead giving Hoosiers a bad name!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm convinced these repops are doing our hobby an awful lot of harm. I've seen a couple reproductions lately that were made back in the 80's and the unsuspecting collector is getting shafted. I'm getting more leery than ever about buying a sign that I can't hold and look at in person.
I'm just one person but it gives me the feeling that I should quit and move on to something else. If I feel this way, how many others are out there? I wish there was something we could do as a group, to educate the masses!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
TOO LATE, Too many kept saying there is a place for repros, WRONG, they RUINED the hobby. PERIOD!

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IMO, repops and fantasy items haven't ruined anything. Unmarked repops and fantasy items have hurt the values of original items, no question.

I still can't "get my mind" around, how anyone can make comments about what has "ruined" anything pertaining to this hobby?

Repops and fantasy items have been around before the hobby started. Back in the late 50's, early 60's, my father and those with him who collected, complained about these items. It is true that they are more plentiful now, than back in the 50s,60s through early 2000s.

But the hobby is going strong, so it can't have been ruined.

Rare items still bring strong prices... maybe/probably not as strong as a few years ago.... but were values over inflated then and under inflated now? Or have they leveled off? No one can know right now, only time will tell....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
We would not be having these constant discussions about what is Real what is Not Real, How can you tell an Original from a Repop, These Fakes look so much like an Original, ETC. ETC. ETC. The Repops have no doubt RUINED what was a "Better" Hobby before all the Repro Guys got involved.

Just read Kevin's post and see how it effects one, Many GOOD people have left the Hobby in recent years because of them Fakes.

Last edited by KZ1000; Wed Mar 16 2011 12:44 PM.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I dont claim to be an expert on repop vs. orig. signs. But, in the last few months hitting a few auctions I have seen quite a few. Auctioneers say "make your own judgment." Some repops have gone pretty high just like on eBay.
It would be interesting to know the ratio of surviving originals vs. repops. I dont have a vast amount of books on signs but some identification books would be good which spell out the differences maybe. Maybe best done on a website and sell 5 searches at a time - like WorthPoint.
Then could you do an eBay BIN auction to the web site which has the search capability to look up say the 5 signs with repop comparisons. Then put that right on eBay in the categories where these are happening. Probably get away with it for a while until ebay realizes the commission loss from the repop mkt. LOL

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Many more have left the hobby, because of high prices on items... Others have left because of frustrations with other collectors... Others have left because of ..... etc, etc, etc..........

Like I said, Rick before you ever thought of collecting, there were repops and fantasy items out there. Long before I started there were repops... Long before my father started collecting, right after Korea, there were repops... Long after we are all gone there will most likely be repops.....

I'm not sure how many members contacted this seller? I know I did and got no response... I directed the seller to 4 different sign books, just so they wouldn't think I was "throwing out my opinion". I noticed the seller could care less, as $$$ are being thrown their way by uninformed potential buyers.

I get frustrated as much as every other collector with unmarked repops. Maybe because I've been collecting so long, they don't seem to be the threat, that other members see them as. I keep picking up knowledge here, I buy collecting books, I contact members who deal with more signs in a month than I will see in the next few years... If a sign is questionable, I walk away... But I don't buy a lot of larger signs now that I am in a smaller home.

Last edited by Bob Richards; Wed Mar 16 2011 02:16 PM.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
There are several of you that should quit and move on,then we would'nt have to put up with all the complaining and crying on here.Let the people that can't afford the good stuff buy the repop .It makes the authentic items even better

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: KZ1000

Just read Kevin's post and see how it effects one, Many GOOD people have left the Hobby in recent years because of them Fakes.

I know some of them that have, and more that are contemplating getting out because of the repops, especially unmarked repops.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
fast66 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I will try and find a good picture of a 12" Mobiloil plate to post beside this one in the album so that people can see the difference.
//Claes

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I know it's a good thing to help each other identify the repros by pointing out the mistakes, but did anyone ever think that if the repro people are getting pictures from this site, we're now giving them the information to make their unmarked repros more accurate? Just something to think about...

fast66 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Tara, I have actualy thought about what you are saying. However - we mainly have contact with the sellers of this ***** and not the manufacturer.
The mfg find their stuff anyway - I suspect ebay and other such places are great sources...or Google...
So what can we do? If we stop showing pictures this site could close. :-(

However a good point and a good subject to discuss.
br
Claes

Last edited by fast66; Wed Mar 16 2011 10:49 PM. Reason: spelling
A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
I have 2 laying here I just boughtas repros. One is stamped reproduction real big on the back. I was thinking how and if I could mark the other one, before I sell it.

DSC01322.JPG
Last edited by always lookin; Thu Mar 17 2011 04:58 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Tara Worsham
I know it's a good thing to help each other identify the repros by pointing out the mistakes, but did anyone ever think that if the repro people are getting pictures from this site, we're now giving them the information to make their unmarked repros more accurate? Just something to think about...

thats the reason I have quit posting pictures of the rarer items that I have.
I have also thought many times of leaving the hobby and selling out....but I can't...is there a treatment program to get off of this addiction?

Paddy
Wanted. Billups, Ride with Rose, Har-V, LORECO, STANOCOLA, Pan Am (early), Hurricane, Evangeline, Canal, Gulf Coast, oil companies.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved