Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think that top goes to it and it is a new discovery. Look at the top of the door. It is not cut out for the sight glass and has a fitting for the visi gauge.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Put the top on at set the door in place. I would like to see what it looks like. Put the visi on also.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Someone needs to call him out of Bed, We're WAITING on the West Coast for more pictures!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Close up of cut in door for sight glass. Yours looks straight to go with the ad glass top.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I saw one of these with a visi and "cash recorder" faces at Hershey a couple years ago. Brady

E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
Well guys I'm making the 4 hr drive to pick this up in the morning. I'll hopefully have pics on in a day or 2 with it some what together

Mainly focused on Oilzum, Jenney, Harris Oil items & original paint gas pumps.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That is cool. I would have bought it also.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IF it was here in Calif, either Matt or myself would be all over getting there to pick it up!

E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
pic1

pumpny1.jpg

E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
Alrightly boys....I finally got her home and I'm a little excited. When the thought of a possible new discovery was mentioned I thought no way...Now that I see it in person it's got to be a possibility. I had a long talk with the 70 yr old gentlemen who sold me the pump. Here's the deal. He is not a gas & oil guy at all. He bought this old farm in upstate NY and this pump was attached to the ground still sitting on the property when he bought it. So back in the 90's he decided to get into it a little and start a restoration. He quickly found the pump was originally a Sinclair by the ad glass (it was destroyed but I have it)that was in the top. The doors were painted the Richfield cream yellow and relabeled but the inside of the doors are still the old sinclair red. So it seems it was a Sinclair after all, so the gentlemen started to bring it back to it's original life. Hence him paintng the top red and repop globe/ad glass. He primed and or painted the top, base and frame. Now I asked him about sight glasses on the top or a different top and he said "Absolutly not, This is how we found it, and it was rusted together pretty good" After a quick assembly just to dry fit the doors and top it fro sure seems as though it's made for it. The mounting holes on the pump top line up perfect with the mounting holes in the frame top. As the following pictures will show, it looks as though the frame top mold NEVER supported a glass and the door is not cut for it. Enjoy the pics and tell me what you think!

E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
pic123

pumpny1.jpg pumpny2.jpg pumpny3.jpg

E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E

pumpny4.jpg pumpny5.jpg pumpny6.jpg pumpny7.jpg

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That is cool. Looks like the real deal to me. If Jack does book # three this pump needs to be in it.

E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
Matt, I got the original pump plate too... it claims it's a model 90 SRC

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I'm somewhat confused, does this pump have a computer or a clock (non-computer)?
It appears this is low-dollar pump (without a sight glass) probably for a taxi garage or a truck garage where they could care less if they could see the gas flowing.
During the 20s & 30s the oil companies felt it was very necessary that they show the gas flowing through the pump, into the hose and into the tank. By the early 50s, survays were taken, and they found out the buying public could care less if they saw the gas bouncing a few marbels up and down, thus, first they went down to one sight glass on the side, then to none.
But, for years, the pump companies offered pumps without the sight glass to as I said taxi garages, truck garages, etc. This is the same reason they offered pumps that were non-computing.

One last note, since the last book I wrote I have been able to identify about 300 more gas pump that are not in the previous books, but alas, the sales of the last book (very low) will not warrant any publishing company to publish a third book. I probably sell more copies of my book than anyone, but I only sell about 3 per month and I believe the Krause Publishing Co. has about 5000 of them sitting on their shelves. My opinion is that many guys would rather come on this website and want you to identify a pump they find, rather than buying a book that identifies 1900 pumps. $25.00 is too much to pay for knowledge.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved