Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
OP Offline
E
Hi, This is my first post on this forum, but I'm excited to have found it, since it looks like a great place to learn a few things.

First a short background. My grandma has an original Mobilgas Special globe from my late grandfather's old Mobil station. I would like to make a base for it (likely out of oak) with a light in it so she could display it as a lamp. I would like very much to shape the base like the top of the pump it would have sat on, but my limited research has shown the globe on top of multiple different styles of pumps.

I don't have any pictures on me, but the globe is white glass. The printed glass sides are attached with two screws/bolts each, located on each side of the plaques. The bottom of the globe measures 5" across, and there is a threaded brass ring with it.

I was wondering if anyone could maybe post a good close picture of the top of the pump it would have been mounted on (rough measurements would be good for scale as well). I'm also curious if anyone could tell me about a secure way to mount the globe to the base.... as the brass ring is threaded onto the globe, but it just ends underneath.

If other info is needed, please let me know. I would love to make a cool display for my grandma.

Thanks for your time... sorry for the long post!

Eric

Last edited by Eric Bergstrom; Sat Mar 19 2011 01:44 PM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hi:
Welcome to Oldgas. The globe you have could have been used on several different pumps. You stated that you had found pictures of different pumps with the globe on them. Just pick the one you like and pattern your base after it. You could drill and tap holes in the side of the base and put screws(usually three or four) in to retain the globe or install a metal globe holder, available from several different places, to the top of your base. Hope this helps...

Wanted: Champion Spark plug, Shell, Pennzoil, Kendall, and Woco Pep signs...Dale Stephens
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome Eric!

As Dale said, the globe could/would have been on any number of different pumps.

Checkout the photo library here, on Yahoo or any search engine and decide the pump that catches your eye. From there you can ask for measurements and most likely someone here will be able to help.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Check w/ Grandma for pictures of the Station they ran.
Just guessing it was in the 50s & they had Wayne/M&S 80's.

V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Welcome to the site Eric. Sounds like a cool project that your Grandma should appreciate.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
E
OP Offline
E
Wow thanks for the quick replies everyone! Very cool.

First: Where can a person buy a metal globe holder and roughly what should I expect to pay?

Second: I'm not sure if we have any pictures of it. I can ask, but I'm not holding my breath. Dick (or anyone else) if you have any pictures of a Wayne/M&S 80 pump, that sounds like a great place for me to start.

I'm not super picky as to which pump I go with, but I'd like to know that it's a correct pump for the globe (which you look to have named already!).

Thanks again guys!

E
OP Offline
E
[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/ericdbergstrom/5541120498/[/img]

Found this picture on this site. This would be a perfect pattern! If anyone has a pump top similar to this, maybe they could snap a picture or two with a tape measure in front of it in a couple different places so I could get a correct scale?

Thanks for your help!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There is a Wayne 80 on ebay right now that is in a Mobilgas wrapper with globe. # 280577645271 here is the photo;

Wayne 80 with globe in Mobilgas wrapper.JPG
Wayne 80 in Mobilgas wrapper with globe

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to Oldgas Eric, where in Sweden do you have your roots?
br
Claes
Stockholm, Sweden

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
If you just wish to desplay the globe, go the this website:

www.gaspumpheaven.com

They have some nice ways to display globes.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Sat Mar 19 2011 10:36 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
E
OP Offline
E
Thanks for the link Jack. That will prove helpful.

For that matter, maybe I should look for a pump top like the one I posted in one of my earlier messages. I've painted an handful of antique tractors and I think I could make one look like that. If anyone has a good lead on one, I would consider it.

Also, I'm going to take a picture of the brass ring that threads onto the globe next time I'm at my grandma's place, because I can't see where any set screws have been tightened into it. The ring probably extends down roughly 3/8" from the threads and ends there. I'm a bit mystified about what held it on the pump back in the day (unless someone cut off the bottom of that brass ring instead of removing it in a less destructive manner). It even makes me wonder if it could have even been from a visible pump? I know very little about gas pumps.

E
OP Offline
E
Claes, I'm not sure exactly which town in Sweden, but I'll figure it out and let you know. I had relatives on the other side of my family from Trondheim, Norway, but I will need to ask about the Bergstrom side.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have a M&S 70 top. Not as fancy as a M&S 80 top. You can PM or email if you are interested.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
E
OP Offline
E
Matt, I sent you a PM. Thanks!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved