Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I have also done pumps to more than factory condition, and like Jim said it is all up to the person what they want. Bernie matchen does over the top stuff and it is always stunning as others that also are on this site. In fact Frank's Bowser was another beautiful Restoration to me, but its all in what people want. I like pumps just in Primer so you can enjoy the pump itself, but that is just my opinion.

Craig
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
PUMP POLICE ARE OUT!!!!

Who cares how guys restore there pumps. I am getting ready to do mine and it will be over done.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Lets ruin it some more people... we already have tons of stuff not getting posted because of repop guys stealing images and now guys won't post pictures of pump because they will be afraid someone will tell them it's over done.
We keep going this site will be worthless.

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
John I think you're feeling the fumes from the black stuff in your conduit. LOL ;;;;;;;;;;Ron

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...oh, please - it's ever so tiring to read all of the Pump Police garbage anytime someone posts anything other than 'yay, great job, Skip! I'm drooling'...

...sakes alive...maybe we should just make this site one big frilly maypole dance with lots of pink lemonade for everyone - why should anyone offer differing opinions about anything?...some grown man's feelings might get hurt... cry

Last edited by gulfiend!; Wed Mar 23 2011 07:42 AM.

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
+1

Originally Posted By: Jarvis
Lets ruin it some more people... we already have tons of stuff not getting posted because of repop guys stealing images and now guys won't post pictures of pump because they will be afraid someone will tell them it's over done.
We keep going this site will be worthless.

Mike
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I agree with Jim,"to each his own".Looking at the Veltex,most of the other pumps in the pic also look very highly detailed.IMO all the restorations were done to someones taste in pump restoration.I've got no problem with that and I think displayed togather they make a very eye catching presentation.

That is another question I have had to deal with over the years,"how far do I go with it?"What I do is display several pumps in various conditions;unrestored in need of restoration,restored but not really overdone(just off a pump island?),highly restored (very shiny,everything chrome or highly polished)and unrestored in displayable condition as found.

Then I point out that how far to go with it depends a lot,IMO,on what else is going to be displayed with it and the setting it will be in.To me,it is important that everything looks like they belong togather so to speak.

Then I wish them well in whatever they decide to do.

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
I don't think it is overdone. Very nice looking. I really really like the globe. Jarvis, where do i get a pair of repop police lights. I need those for my lubester. hehehe!

If I had the cash I'd over do mine too!

Last edited by DasFast1; Wed Mar 23 2011 08:13 AM.

Life is like a video game. The more you play, the better you get!!!
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Well, considering these pumps are basically ENORMOUS over-glorified lamps, do whatever you want. Dont forget, overdone isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's just a term. Like restored cars; I like them all for what they are, some are 1959 caddies, some are 1962 plain jane ford falcons with a straight 6. Both are cool and both are classics. Just my 2 pennies.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I like them all. Way overdone, overdone, restored to original factory, original unrestored, pile 'o rust. Don't matter.

Keith

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
I think the question was ...is it over restored..yes...yes it is.

Always looking for good Pure stuff, dude...
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Well atleast I got people talking and thinking... confused

There has been no name calling, throwing of chairs, etc.... shocked

So,it must be true... I'm getting old and losing my touch... cry grin

I think, most in the hobby who are nearing 60 and above remember gas pumps as the "work horse" in a station. A lot of us worked in stations as kids and young adults, those stations are considered "vintage" now... We cleaned windshields and all the windows, popped the hood and checked the oil, fluid levels and belts (there were no serpentine belts back then, thank god), we checked tire pressures even asked if the driver would pop the trunk lid so we could check the spare....As Jim said we remember the hand painted surface of a pump, because some of us did some of that painting.....

I guess my favorite pumps are those that look like they could be used at any time.... Hopefully, I do appreciate the beauty, skill and workmanship that goes into a "well polished" pump. To me these types of pumps become more a "work of art" than a pump and I'm more secure with an old work horse.... something I can relate too....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...there's no denying that all of the pinstriping, chroming, 6 layers of clear-coat, Native American imagery, etc. take many hours...

...is it worth it? not to me...I'm more concerned with historical accuracy...anyone with enough money can spend their life savings turning their van into a dog...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
B
B
I think it looks good.
To each his own.

Big Al
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob, Sorry as i didn't answer the question on hand. Yes.. it is over done. Little more than my liking but i an going to restore mine to over done also but not quit that much. LOL
base clear paint, redone chrome, powercoated frame inside and original globe and sign.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved