Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
T
Originally Posted By: BIGTOM
Like restored cars; I like them all for what they are, some are 1959 caddies, some are 1962 plain jane ford falcons with a straight 6. Both are cool and both are classics.

Tht pump is not my taste but still beautiful.

I am still new to pumps but have been building / restoring cars for over 20 years now. Like BIGTOM said I appreciate them all (cars or pumps) for what they are and the work that goes into them. For me, I like to know what the original paint color and scheme was; however, that does not mean I am necessarily going to follow or recreate it. I have heard comments from some people on my pumps that the paint color is wrong, they never came with that paint scheme, you have the wrong nozzle and the list goes on and on. I listen to their critiques and take / learn from them; however, in no way do I ever let someone else tell me what I like or is "approved". People build what they like and how they like it. I have built cars for people that I would not be caught dead driving but it is what they like and that is all that truly matters.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Some guys sure put allot of money and work into restoring their "globe holders". wink

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
a labor of love.i like it,and if thats what you like go for it.if you dont like it,dont do it.easy enough.

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Makes me want to post another pump picture ????

V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
I have to say that I really enjoy "over the top" type restorations. Eye candy. But I also really like rattle can and brush jobs.
"Your pump, do as you like with it" is the best advice ever given on this forum.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Tazz
I am still new to pumps but have been building / restoring cars for over 20 years now. Like BIGTOM said I appreciate them all (cars or pumps) for what they are and the work that goes into them. For me, I like to know what the original paint color and scheme was; however, that does not mean I am necessarily going to follow or recreate it. I have heard comments from some people on my pumps that the paint color is wrong, they never came with that paint scheme, you have the wrong nozzle and the list goes on and on. I listen to their critiques and take / learn from them; however, in no way do I ever let someone else tell me what I like or is "approved". People build what they like and how they like it. I have built cars for people that I would not be caught dead driving but it is what they like and that is all that truly matters.

...no one is telling you or anyone else what you like or what is 'approved'...you are obviously free to paint your pumps with polka-dots...while I think that would be an unfortunate choice, I don't care...but I honestly wouldn't be surprised...

...now, if you want to do that and then tell me, from a historical perspective, that it doesn't matter...well, you're just wrong...and telling newbies that it doesn't matter what they do is irresponsible...

...what if you told every new collector that sign and globe lens restoration was acceptable and made no difference in the value of the piece? Sure, there are some feel that way - but are you doing them a favor or disservice by telling them that?

...either a given pump is restored to how it would have originally appeared, when used, as spec'd by the oil company - or it's not...hence the 'right/wrong' comments...and, despite comments to the contrary, MOST of the companies that you guys go bonkers over DID spec color schemes, decal placement, sign location, etc. for their pump/station imaging...

...did some pumps get brush paint jobs during their years in service? Sure they did - that's how they were kept painted...

...were newly-crated Tokheim pumps delivered to Texaco stations in 1950 requiring a brush paint job? Of course not...

...did a few independents allow 'anything goes' with their pump paint schemes?...of course...but most aren't restoring your pumps to those obscure brands...I swear, sometimes it seems like half of us have to have a Polly pump...

...there are those who would sooner drink drain opener than buy a repro or fantasy sign (or one that's been 'restored')...but for some reason the standards they use to guide their sign collecting go out the window when it comes to pumps...

...NEWBIES: if you restore a pump as authentically as possible, you will be better off in the long run...whether you decide to keep it or sell down the road...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Don't let a few people stop you from posting pictures of your gas pumps, Tom. Look at all the great comments you got on your Tokheim 34 Veltex in the Showcase forum. Most guys enjoy seeing restored gas pumps in all sorts of variations. But you can't make everyone happy.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Pump companies were in the business of making money, they had to stay competitive w/ the other companies making a similar products.
Sure they could have dolled them up as we are doing today, polishing, plating, color sanding out imperfections, etc etc. BUT they couldn't have stayed competitive. Even in the day $100-150 was a lot to pump gas & if they were lucky they made a PENNY Per Gallon.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...Jim - my comments were not directed at any one pump...I'm all about people posting whatever they want...there's no healthy discussion when everyone is in complete agreement about everything...of course intentional hurtful comments have no place on Oldgas - but honest debate keeps us on our toes and makes the hobby stronger...

Last edited by gulfiend!; Wed Mar 23 2011 02:36 PM.

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
POST them Tom, YOU won't receive .0001% of the FLACK I did/do for making use of pump parts. Bet they will even wait for the cow paddies to dry before slinging your way! laugh laugh

K
K
I think the Texaco pump is killer looking. To me the extra detail work shows off the natural beauty of the pump. I would have to agree that it's over done, but I see no negative sides to that unless you were trying to convince somebody that's how it was back in the day. When I get started on my pumps they will be over done, but that's what floats my boat. Being a body man by trade, I will have to say I'm all about the details. I do think the huge letters on the Veltex pump are a little too much though. Just my opinion though.

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Looks as though the restoration isn't the only thing over the top.

When I was younger I used to have this girlfriend that would ask me a question during a fight, immediately answer it "for" me and then get even more po'd that that "my" answer was ridiculous.

I can't seem to find the post where anybody claimed that restoration was historically accurate. So to argue on that point: Melanie, is that you?

Jim, I couldn't have said your first post any better, thank you.

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
i restore all my pumps over the top,like my texaco. the pump had alot of detail. so why not show it off. I can't figure why a person would spend so much time, and than not polish the the brass screws, or then paint some of the cast pieces, when with a bit of elbow grease they could shine them up or plate them. if it's a question of money, well save up another couple months. but thats my opinion, thats like restoring a car or custom building one. theres nice ones and so so. but to each own

Last edited by mobil100; Wed Mar 23 2011 04:56 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
& then cut a corner w/ Ugliest Gilmore globe on the market!
What is the purpose of the double globe holder?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
& then cut a corner w/ Ugliest Gilmore globe on the market!
What is the purpose of the double globe holder?

Rotater......

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved