Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: lordparaffin
we have the unrestored or freshened up and I liken these to "Drivers and Survivors" of the auto world. Then we have the "purists" who like the authenticity and chase of correctness much like the restorers of Period correct and auto clubs that grade on absolute perfection to originality.

...and those folks have my respect, as they are doing a real service by preserving history...

...the 'over the top' crowd have made a conscious decision that the history of a given pump (and its significant role in the history of our country during the 20th century) is less important than their personal taste...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Now if I painted my Polly pump pink you all have my permission to put me out of my misery.

polly pump.jpg

~Jason

6 ft signs & rare pump plates – Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Polly, Flying A, Douglas, Richfield, PDQ, Stinker, Beeline, Neon , Dealership.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: pollyman
Now if I painted my Polly pump pink you all have my permission to put me out of my misery.

laugh

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
gasmangp-Paul, said it best a little bling,tastefulley done is where I'm at. I wouldn't throw down my hard earned money for the pump,we started this post with, but it has it's place in the collecter world,and if it floats your boat I'm cool. I agree with a lot of post that good condition survirers should be left untouched. We have had a lot of good out of this, and have found that there's no wrong or right,and every form of restoration has it's place.

JASON Don't worry if you paint your polly pink, I will dispatch the west coast goon squad.

Last edited by Loyd Pierce; Thu Mar 24 2011 08:56 AM. Reason: corrected some spelling

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Quote:
Over the top....In my opinion.....Nothing is ever over the top if done with good taste and quality workmanship.
I respect all opinions of this thread (one of the best thus far IMO), but the above is probably the most accurate of all. Again... IMO.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Originally Posted By: pollyman
This should get you all going. What can I say... I love my daughters! I like pumps no matter how they are restored!

I saw them selling that brand of gas at Disneyland last year. It is real. LOL

Mike
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I like that Polly pump! Now it is time for me to chime in.

Over the top, no. Every sign, can, pump, cabinet, display case etc...has it's place. The over the top as you might call it has it's place just like an original rust bucket. If it matches the theme around it, then it's done correctly. If it does not, then it is time to make the surrounding items match in quality. Kind of like spending $10000 on painting a car and throwing the pitted and non polished trim back on the car. It looks all wrong.

Mike
O
O
Quote:
...the 'over the top' crowd have made a conscious decision that the history of a given pump (and its significant role in the history of our country during the 20th century) is less important than their personal taste...

So if I add a polished nozzle, maybe some chrome and color sand my 2-tone pump I'm now turning my back on "the history of our country"?

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
And may I add to that, So Chip Foose and others should not touch great american muscle cars and their significant role in the history of our country during the 20th century. you wont find to many people who would cut his work up, and he goes over the top on his cars, and most likely would with a pump

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved