Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
very well done mobil 100, both pumps. And right on cue is Mr. Ben.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
what was that a cheap shot. what a stupid comment Dyck. I don't stoop that low, by the way that was my choice not yours, how do figure that was cutting corners, 15 inch lenses arn't cheap no matter what is printed on them, if you do not have anything good say don't say anything. thats right you have to comment on everything.--by the way that is a rotating globe check this you tube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhLJsRXdsMk

Last edited by mobil100; Wed Mar 23 2011 09:56 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I like my gas pumps and soda machines to look stock. I want my stuff to look like it did back in the day because to me they are like a historic artifact. No pinstripes or highly polished metals or stickers everywhere. I have a Mae West to restore, it is going to be basically red paint everywhere because that is how it would have been new. I have been slowly getting ready (14 years now) to restore my Wayne 60. It will have the red and yellow intersecting design like Mobil100 just showed in Gilmore. Mine will have no bling, including no globe. I appreciate all the extra work that goes into the over-restoration, it just isn't for me.

100_4691.JPG
Last edited by gasmelincelr; Wed Mar 23 2011 05:59 PM.
D
D
Over the TOP ? ~~~~~~~> I like it !
But I think I would have spent a little more $$$ on longer hoses -----

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Best thread EVER!

Unfortunately it's lowered itself to calling other members restorations (or at least some of their choices) ugly for no apparent reason - disappointing for sure.

Talk about flingin' the moist cow patties...

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I guess being a HotRod/StreetRod/Motorcycle builder and painter I look at things differently.
I have seen very few pumps that I would call over the top. Customizing is just an extention of each ones own personality. I like to see them all.
I will eventually have in my collection pumps that are painted with spray cans and others that will be highly polished bling-bling in your face. I feel there should be a place for everyones style to be shown and appreciated whether you like the style or not.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Well I just painted my fry pump with a brush and I am going to put it outside next to the garage,my friend came over and said he just sent his to the body shop to have it refinished and powder coated. He could not believe I just painted it with a brush.I told him the skins are very rough and it looks good enough to me.

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Can't accuse me of going over the top!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This should get you all going. What can I say... I love my daughters! I like pumps no matter how they are restored!

05.1 Princess Tokheim 39 Short.jpg

~Jason

6 ft signs & rare pump plates – Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Polly, Flying A, Douglas, Richfield, PDQ, Stinker, Beeline, Neon , Dealership.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jason,

Your girls, with their very own pump, must have been tickled pink! : )

BTW I'm on the fence on this issue. I admire the artistry of the restoration work, but when I paint old equipment from life (last time was tractors) I like really like putting the elegance and beauty of the old patina in a painting.

Last edited by Nicole; Wed Mar 23 2011 08:56 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
PRINCESS GASOLINE.... grin ... pretty pink pump pollyman!

Sell me your Gilmore Oil Co. stuff...
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Thank you Jason. Now this conversation is off on the right track. Motch

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
well i dont think they are over done i think they are all very nice its pretty much a matter of taste imo

Sarcasm Is Just One More Free Service I Offer !
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
WOW! That is pink! I think this topic has brought out some good points and for the most part has been done with respect and tact. I guess I'm personally torn. I truely can appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into the "high end" restorations. I see these as the hot rod equivalent of cars in our hobby. These are flat out personal flavor creations that have their following and niche. On the other hand, we have the unrestored or freshened up and I liken these to "Drivers and Survivors" of the auto world. Then we have the "purists" who like the authenticity and chase of correctness much like the restorers of Period correct and auto clubs that grade on absolute perfection to originality. In the end I appreciate and like all forms though I may not like some restorations in all categories. I can recognize, however, that the diversity in these restorations helps to drive total interest in both cars and pumps alike and in the end is healthy to keeping them both alive and well. To answer Bobs oringinal question, Yes a little over the top..........but still a wonderful piece of work. The unit pictured earlier in all it's full rusty glory looks no less interesting to me in the end because I'll bet it's still a great conversation piece or "Driver".

........Dave
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Having restored my fair share of gas pumps....I appreciate a good restoration. I also can understand the need to do something a little more, than original. I've seen too many buyers walk away from a Skychief pump done in correct plain silver only to buy one nearby done in green and black? In the business of sales, you sometimes do things, to a pump/ drink machine/ candy machine... that you would not do if it were for your own collection? It is inventive. Not wrong by any means and fun to see. Over the top....In my opinion.....Nothing is ever over the top if done with good taste and quality workmanship. Regards, Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved