Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
Well guys during my 8 hour trip to pick up my 9th pump yesterday I had plenty of time to think. I wondered if I was nuts for going on an 8 hour detour from where I was headed in NY...and was curious how long (miles/hours) other oldgassers traveled in their searches for pumps? I will say one thing, I never get tired of seeing the beautiful country side and always enjoy the sites I've seen along the way. I saw my first gas pump graveyard. It was on the side of the interstate and it seemed they had over 200 pumps just lined up in rows. All newer ones ofcourse. Nonetheless it was a very cool sight!

Mainly focused on Oilzum, Jenney, Harris Oil items & original paint gas pumps.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Well......I have done 2 12-hour round trips to pick up 2 visible pumps

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've driven to a Carlisle, PA Antique shop for my Neptune red Seal. A drive to the Boston area for a Tok 39 which I restored. To Northern Jersey for another Neptune Red Seal and to Newburgh NY for my Wayne 90. Not too serious distances, but great roadtrips overall. wink

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thirteen long hours in one direction! It was a pump that I really wanted and I would have driven furthur if necessary. Normally I would ship one that was that far away but I wanted to visually inspect the pump and get a look at a super nice collection at the same time.I spent the day with the owner and I have a good friend from the experience. Definitely was worth it!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
I have been lucky enough to find the ones I want within 1 hr from my house. Max I would go is 3 hrs. But then again I'm not really into a lot of pumps. Only like certain ones.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: 57tbirdkid
Only like certain ones.

Yeah, the cheap bargain priced ones that will offset the cost of travel expenses! LOL! Just like me! wink

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
I have traveled 12 hours one way, got several pumps and made a good friend also.

Thanks, Phil
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
back when i had my shop i went from michigan to calif stockton to be exact for a pump auction bought alot of pumps and parts and meet alot of nice people they got a little upset when half those pumps came back to michgan that was a job in itself i am currently downsizeing now as the wife and i want to retire and enjoy are streetrods and motorcyles later dave

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
well I havnt gotten a pump yet but ive gone to connecticut to pick up a car. And would have no problem going that far to get a pump I wanted

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Drove by myself from Portland Oregon to Nigado New Brunswick to pick up pumps and other stuff. Came back down through Maine and went to the General petroleum Auction where Mathews auction was at in Where ever they were and back. Long drive, but the worst was getting lost in Detroit on the way there with alot of cash in my pocket, tools in the truck, and just me with Gangs on the corners burnt out houses around and I was the only light person there. They kept me at the border after I finally got there on the Canadain side and searched my truck for not knowing to declare the Ten Grand I had with me for the stuff. They wanted to take my money and not let me go. I told them what I was there for and offered the phone number of the guy I was seeing. They laughed and searched anyway. Lost twelve pounds by the time I returned, but sure got alot of stuff. Still have the truck, one of the pumps, and of course the wife who thought for sure I had gone to see another woman. Yeah Right!!

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Armstrong BC to Harveys Lake PA, 5700 miles in 5 days for 2 Wayne 730's and 3 Wayne 866's. The one 866 only made it as far as Clear Lake IA, and was replaced by a 36B Clockface.

This was the trip where I found the mud filled crate of 12 Pepco globes, and took this one because it was laying on top, all the others were caked in mud and totally washed out, just faint images on glass, could have had them all but there were so rough it wasn't worth packing them, but thats another story.

Visit our Website or FaceBook Page

Lance @ Pogos Garage

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Went from Kenosha Wis. to Brownsville Tx. to get a pump once..took 2&1/2 days one way,non stop,but it was worth it to me.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I went from North of Detroit (about 80 miles) to Sourthern California to pick up two Eries. One ad glass and one not - and of course one of the pumps had the very rare glass top too!

No way I was trusting that top to ANY shipper, no matter how well packed. LOL

The wife thought I was kidding when I told her mid-week that I was leaving Saturday for CA - she wasn't laughing when I pulled out on Saturday though!

Later . . .

Jim

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
I went from colorado to Baltimore MD more or less. over 4000 miles round trip. Stopped at Mi gas on the way back. I have also went from Co to KY and got a pump from Pill.
Brandon

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
My dog and I motored from San Antonio to north of Waco (about 400 miles round trip) for our 1st and only pump thus far. I have every intention of getting a clock face or the like within the next year -

TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
Originally Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Originally Posted By: 57tbirdkid
Only like certain ones.

Yeah, the cheap bargain priced ones that will offset the cost of travel expenses! LOL! Just like me! wink

Yup You Got it !!!

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Craig Osbeck wrote......
"Long drive, but the worst was getting lost in Detroit on the way there with alot of cash in my pocket, tools in the truck, and just me with Gangs on the corners burnt out houses around and I was the only light person there. They kept me at the border after I finally got there on the Canadain side and searched my truck for not knowing to declare the Ten Grand I had with me for the stuff. They wanted to take my money and not let me go. I told them what I was there for and offered the phone number of the guy I was seeing. They laughed and searched anyway."

.......you got to see the good part of Detroit, (you should see it now with the auto industry in shambles), and you also got to experience the border hassle we face on a daily basis when crossing from U.S. to Canada.......AND I'm Canadian.

Last edited by baugie; Fri Mar 25 2011 10:57 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I drove 30-40 minutes to pick up a pump once.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've made two different six hour trips one way - but I enjoy a road trip. Brady

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I drive to Iowa Gas not knowing if I'll buy anything to keep.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A couple of times I/we drove from Portland OR, to Mexico City, then up to Montreal, down to Atlanta, across to Seattle, then back to Longview. We did pick up a few pumps along the way. (Ofcourse, racing the cars was the real reason for the trip) Does this count? wink grin

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I drove to an auction around 7 hours one way. If you are looking for pumps come to see me or go to Iowa Gas. Last year my Dad, Brother and I took over 40 pumps to the show. We have been selling some around here but I think we will be back with at least 30 pumps this year. These are from 2009 and 2010. This was only one of the 3 trailers we took.

IMG_2192_s.jpg IMG_2534_s.jpg
Last edited by racecop; Fri Mar 25 2011 07:43 PM.
T
T
I picked up my first pump but had to drive 3hrs each way after work at 930pm, got caught in a thunder strom and real heavy rain. got lost, but got the pump. The seller told me the eaisest way back to the freeway was turn left at the end of his drive way, ( it was about 1 in the morning now) we ended up on a seasonal road that was about 2" wider than my truck slippery and muddy, but made it home, about 4am, then back to work at 8. still worth it though.

Always looking for Pumps and signs in Michigan and surrounding areas
www.murraysbodyshop.com
www.rustynutsrestoration.com
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I almost drove my wife crazy one year. But it took all summer!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I drive from Caifornia to Iowa every year -Do the Iowa Gas thing then return home. I always find more out and about than I purchase at IG. Except for the year I hauled home six A-38s from IG.
Rob

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved