Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Oldgas Online Cool OP
OP Online Cool
A Shop Talk member has suggested that we expand on our Petro Places to Visit listings to include collectors willing to show their personal collections.
The collectors general location and specialty could be shown without a specific address or directions. Setting up an appointment to visit would be the most host-friendly thing to do.
I realize some collectors would not like the public to know about them or to drop by for a visit. This could be for security or privacy reasons. But I think there may be lots of individual collectors out there who would be willing to share their collections with other enthusiasts face-to-face.

I'd like to hear from you about this. Will it work? What are your concerns? Will you volunteer to be on the list?

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jim, I don't have much to see but sure. I would like my phone number only and they can call because i would want to talk to some one on the phone before hand. For me that's half the fun... the search or hunt, shows and auctions, and talking on this site and showing off your collection. That's to me is what it's all about.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
Jim I don't have any problem with active members seeing my collection. I'm like JJ I don't have much but will to share. Richard

F
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
F
Good Morning Jim...
I also think that is a great idea. I would be willing to share what little I have with others on this site. Of course for privacy purposes, I would want only a general location and phone number posted.

------------------
Frank

Frank
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Half the fun of having this junk is getting to show it off to your buddies. In fact, South Carolina collector Daniel Lappin just left my house about 2 hours ago. He was in the area picking up some goodies and wanted to come by. I showed him my collection and he showed me what he bought and we had a great time. Vote me in on this one!!!!!!!!!

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Hi Jim,
great idea. I would warmly welcome any collectors who wish to drop by. Even short notive is fine.
I think it would be great for all of us fellow collectors to be able to plan a cross contry "automobilia" sightseeing trip. What a fun combination. Meeting new collector friends and showing off your stuff at the same time.
I'm in.

Ralph

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
IM w/ everyone else phone # first then we can work the rest out. Just like Roger said thats half the fun, the other half is sometimes being cramed and twisted up in some junk pile hoping someone will come and pull you out. But you got that can or sighn to show .

WTB - Any thing from ILLINOIS FARM SUPPLY COMPANY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I assume that most everybody knows that if you list only your phone number it only takes a few seconds on Google to get your address by only typing in the phone number. In this world now nothing is really private.
Tom.

Always buying gas pumps and parts.

Visit my web site: www.gaspumps.us
Buckles Vintage Gas Pump Parts LLC
Carthage Indiana
M
M
sounds good to me! my 2 cents.

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I'm in...

Oldgas Online Cool OP
OP Online Cool
Tom is right about phone numbers that are in one of the databases that are available. They can be looked up in reverse. Not all numbers can be successfully looked up. Try your number in the Reverse Lookup linked in our Web Directory.

I'm thinking about an appointment system via email that would hide the recipient's email address in a Web form. This would offer protection from spam and privacy concerns. The form would include required fields for the name, address, phone, requested date, number in party, Shop Talk user name, etc.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Sounds good to me also.I dont have alot to offer & it is all not organized but I am willing to show it off.I think it is great to meet people who share the same interest.I showed it to Bob & we could of talked for about 4 more hours.So count me in.Brad

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
delete

[This message has been edited by bettin (edited 08-22-2005).]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I wish I had more to show, but would like to meet more of you anyway...if someone is in the area they could look around the room, then we could shoot pool and wet our whistles if so inclined!!
I LOVE seeing the collections of others.
As far as security, I have motion detectors, trip wires and armed guards on duty 24/7...as far as you know.

~ Tokheim

F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
I think that this is a good idea. Right now when I get a call, it is from someone I know or a friend of a friend.(never had a problem) Email would be best because it is less disruptive. This would open up more collections to other oldgas guys without having to bother the guys that don't want to open there collections to others. The bottom line is that these collections were made to look at and most guys including me love to show them to other guys that appreciate them. With that said, I do agree with Ron. Make sure you have a good security system in place.
My two cents worth
Craig

Craig
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved