Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I was surprised (though should I be?) to see this fake 12 1/2 foot, 2-piece Oldsmobile dealership neon sign on eBay. The seller is up-front about what it is.

It's massive, and the description says:
"The face lettering and field has depth, gloss, feel, and sheen of mint porcelain, though are actually thick, multi-layered coats of hard shell automotive enamels – obtaining the near-perfect duplication of porcelain. Exceptional quality and workmanship. We were very lucky to have purchased this sign from the museum quality restoration house which made it."

The sign has the original-type Walker marking at the bottom. It does not appear to be marked as a reproduction. Why would someone put the sign company marking at the bottom if not to deceive?

I inquired, and the "restoration house" that made the sign from scratch is "Martin and Don VanKannell."

Just thought I would pass this along.

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
I find it to be very wrong of them to put original markings on it period. It should be clearly marked reproduction.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Obviously it should be marked reproduction, but that's a discussion that's been had many times before. I also think it is VERY wrong of them to put the original markings on it. If they aren't trying to deceive a buyer down the road, why would they have put the Walker marking on it?

Last edited by Tara Worsham; Sat Mar 26 2011 03:43 PM. Reason: add text
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
those are some really awful welds and yes, it should be marked

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Thanks for the heads up.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
this seller just came up on like 8 of those high dollar gulf lighthouse signs. i think its odd. they auction those off for whatever they can get em for but that sinclair opaline oil can sign is buy it now for exactly what it sold for at a recent auction? i dont like this "electronic" antique buisness

Kyle DeKoning

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
The plus side to this is ..since the welds are very crude, I think most collectors will know its a repop anyway. I know I wouldnt buy anything looking like that.

Last edited by Bud Miley; Mon Mar 28 2011 06:11 AM.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
My first thought that when I saw them on ebay was that this is a great price on this sign until I read further. There will be conflict on not the next buyer, but possibly the ones after that. People have been reproducing big neons for about 15 years now and they are out there already and with non-knowing owners. A friend of mine was the buyer about 12 years ago and looked inside to find out the hard way. Not a happy camper, returned it.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Isn't the maker of this sign a well known sign restorer who should have known better?

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yep.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
& they did as the customer instructed. It's all about $$$$$$$$$$, not what is right or wrong.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If they printed "Walker Signs" that is wrong whether the customer asked for it or not. EVERYBODY knows that

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
KZ, I agree. It's forgery, just like signing another artist's name on a painting. For decorating purposes, there is no need for it. There's only one conclusion that I can draw as to why it was done.

As for the welds, sure, they look awful. But what if they get someone who can weld better next time?

Next time I buy a nice, expensive porcelain sign, perhaps I should ask the seller "I'm just going to spray this paint stripper on it. If it's legit like you say, then there's nothing to worry about, right?? Riiiight?"

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: thermactor

Next time I buy a nice, expensive porcelain sign, perhaps I should ask the seller "I'm just going to spray this paint stripper on it. If it's legit like you say, then there's nothing to worry about, right?? Riiiight?"

That's a Great idea, We can all walk around with little spray bottles of stripper, spray all the suspect signs and stand back and watch them "melt"

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
another?different seller,but sure looks close http://cgi.ebay.com/Vertical-Chevrolet-N...=item19c3d7a008

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved