Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#244151 Tue Mar 29 2011 05:22 PM
cggas Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
i dont know how u can put somthing in the forsale section saying you r taking offers. do your homework figure out a price and put it in the forsale section....unless jim wants to add another section that says (forsale & i dont have a price but if you offer enough i will sell it) when someone is taking offers they are usually fishing for a sucker...just my 2 cents. chris

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
if oldgas doesnt want me to put it in that way im sure they will tell me i put it on that way so no one can say im overcharging everyone can look at it and make an offer that way its up to the buyer to put a price he feels comfortable with im not looking for a sucker or someone to debate my way of doing this so if your upset with my way of selling im sorry but i already know you cant please everyone if i put something on for free someone would put their two cents in on how it should be done their way , so for those out their ive upset with my way of listing things im sorry but until im told not to do it like this buy oldgas well thats how ill do it if im questionable about what something is worth

There is no question that most buyers prefer to have a set price stated in topics offering items for sale on Shop Talk. Our policy is to encourage sellers to state a price.

I feel that if we make a requirement that items must have a stated price, we will see a drop in the number of items offered here because some sellers don't know what to ask. In this sale, it looks like a buyer offered the right amount so that both buyer and seller are satisfied. In the end, that is really what items are actually worth.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I personally won't respond to a "make an offer" ad. What usually winds up happening is a private auction,which in my opinion never ends well. Just my 2 cents

Please visit my website Gasstuff.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...can I buy some punctuation?

...seriously, folks - the only person who benefits from 'make an offer' is the seller...the buyer is expected to:

(1) appraise the item, at no charge

(2) risk offending the person from whom you're trying to purchase an item (unless you're psychic and can read their mind to determine how much they really want for it)

(3) basically 'lay their cards on the table', and thus surrender any bargaining power...the seller has nowhere to go but UP...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You know whats funny to me,as soon as you set a price on a item in the for~sale section & have done your due diligence & posted a fair price.......all the sudden, here comes all the tire kicking offers,trying to beat you off of your price, It's as if you had a "MAKE OFFER" listed in the subject line in "CAPPS & NEON & BLINKING......MAKE OFFER"

_1.jpg

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
please just let him sell it how he wants.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ok, guys, we're kicking a dead horse now. Points have been made, let's just drop it now.

M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Diesel,

I am certainly guilty of that-offering another price.
But then again what a "fair" price to you is something different to me.
And buyer and seller are usually at some distance from each other pricewise-seller on the higher end to make some money and buyer on the lower end to get a deal.

I always view asking price as a starting point unless marked "firm". (I have bought a few things for less than the "firm" price....)

There are some differences in "make offer" deals:
in charley's case, he was trying to be fair to his fellow oldgassers. It's a not so known sign with a variable value.
Sellers dont always know what they got(young relative imherits granpas stuff) and they dont research it, they have to get it out of there. So they ask make offer to get whatever out of it figuring a collector will get close on price.
The other type is the one who knows what he has and is waiting for Daddy Warbucks to stroll buy and offer millions for his junk.
You make an offer to seemingly answer his question of "what its worth?" and lo and behold he does have a price in mind, you just had to guess it.
Those are the make offer deals that make my head spin.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A few weeks ago I listed some stuff in For Sale w/ a price. I received a few PM's & emails w/ lower offers that I Trashed as I didn't ask for offers. A couple that had made offers were upset they didn't get the item when I marked it SOLD. OH WELL.

H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
While you guys all sat around bitching and moaning I made a fair offer and bought the sign. I think it's just fine to say make an offer...just my 2 1/2 cents

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
good for you, hotcider. see it does work.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Damn it Ray, quit "beating around the bush" and tell us what you really think. wink laugh

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Originally Posted By: hotcidr
While you guys all sat around bitching and moaning I made a fair offer and bought the sign. I think it's just fine to say make an offer...just my 2 1/2 cents

I agree.

Over the time I have been on this website, I have seen people on here list items at a higher price, then lower the price significantly within the same day or or two. They too are fishing for "suckers". SO IT HAPPENS IN BOTH FIXED PRICE AND MAKE ME AN OFFER SALES.

"Make me an offer" is fine with me. At least the seller is offering it here first before anywhere else. I have not yet posted on the for sale section here, but I have purchase both fixed price and Make offer items.

Mike

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved