Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Classifieds | Bookstore | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Topic Options
#244272 - Wed Mar 30 2011 12:36 PM Does anyone else collect vintage envelopes?
Bob Richards Online   happy
Veteran Member

Loc: Longview, WA
As most of the "older members" know I have a "thing" for smalls. Started collecting a new, for me, item and thought I would share.

I picked up a couple old envelopes and incorporated them into my displays, if you haven't thought of using these bits of history... Might be something to think about?

Attachments
Wadhams envelope 3-30-11.JPG

Description: Wadhams 1935 postmarked envelope

Wadhams collection 3-30-11.JPG

Description: Wadhams collection

Pierce Oil Company envelope 3-30-11.JPG

Description: Pierce Oil 1920 postmarked envelope

Pierce Pennant collection 3-30-11.JPG

Description: Pierce Oil collection

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#244276 - Wed Mar 30 2011 12:49 PM Re: Does anyone else collect vintage envelopes? [Re: Bob Richards]
okoil1 Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma
I have a few 3 ring binders full of letterhead stationary and envelopes from obscure oklahoma oil and gas companies. Most are from the teens-1930's. Probably have nominal value but I see it as a preservation of history.

#244277 - Wed Mar 30 2011 01:01 PM Re: Does anyone else collect vintage envelopes? [Re: okoil1]
Nicole Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Maryland
Are some of your sticks early dipsticks? I ask that because here in MD a few years back the extension service was handing out grass height rulers with lines for the height of grass mowing in winter vs summer. Those just had a couple of lines on them for the grass height instead of all the inches marked out. Yours to the left of your second pic only have a couple of lines--or is that just the backs of advertising rulers.

I was wondering why one end would be rounded if they were just rulers...

Nice way to display them. : )

And the envelopes...that really opens a larger dimension for collectors. Are the prices fairly reasonable or are they high demand? There must be some really old compnay letterhead and envelopes out there.

Edited by Nicole (Wed Mar 30 2011 01:04 PM)

#244281 - Wed Mar 30 2011 01:26 PM Re: Does anyone else collect vintage envelopes? [Re: Nicole]
Veteran Member

Nicole, the "sticks" are both advertising yardsticks and for the most part , over 50 now, gas gauge sticks for Model T fords and early Chevrolet's. I try to collect sticks that advertise gas and oil companies.

As to the envelopes I went on ebay and just typed in "vintage envelope". Once they were brought up clicked on "advertising" and then "gas and oil".... Prices were between $5-$15 ea. for the 2 I have.

#244430 - Wed Mar 30 2011 10:43 PM Re: Does anyone else collect vintage envelopes? [Re: Bob Richards]
Loyd Pierce Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Mt. Juliet, Tenn.
Looks good bob, glad you didn't focus on the pennant can, just cleaned up my computer from all the drool.

#244438 - Wed Mar 30 2011 11:53 PM Re: Does anyone else collect vintage envelopes? [Re: Loyd Pierce]
Veteran Member

If anyone by chance has a Tide Water and/or Associated Oil envelope, I would be very interested in it!

#244964 - Sat Apr 02 2011 06:30 PM Re: Does anyone else collect vintage envelopes? [Re: okoil1]
hawkike Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: citrus heights ca.95610

Uploaded with

Uploaded with ImageShack.us/imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

These all are for 3 ring binders,dated 1953.I have a no. of each.

#244970 - Sat Apr 02 2011 07:00 PM Re: Does anyone else collect vintage envelopes? [Re: hawkike]
Veteran Member

For some reason, I love old envelopes, letterheads and invoices from the Old Gas and Oil Company's.

Now if only I could find a Tide Water and/or Associated envelope. I have a "ton" of invoices and such from a Tide Water-Associated Jobber, but no envelopes....

#244977 - Sat Apr 02 2011 07:10 PM Re: Does anyone else collect vintage envelopes? [Re: Bob Richards]
hawkike Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: citrus heights ca.95610
Bob,if you want the 3 Shell that i posted they are yours.
Frank

#245005 - Sat Apr 02 2011 08:27 PM Re: Does anyone else collect vintage envelopes? [Re: hawkike]
Veteran Member

PM sent Frank, thanks...

Since I don't have an envelope yet, but have a ton of invoices. I used one from 1948. For me atleast it seems to tie things together even more than it did.

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2016 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved