Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ebay gets SCREWED again, The very reason us Legit sellers have to keep paying more and more in fees.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
If a seller ends an auction early they should compensate e-bay, they used them to advertise the item. As to the question is it okay to end an auction early, NO ;;;;;;;;;;;Ron

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
ebay already got there money once from the sign on the first sell. Franklin got a good deal... sold it and made a few bucks.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Ebay gets paid the minute item is listed! Its called a listing fee!
Its also perfectly legal to end the auction early!
Get over it UNTIL Ebay changes the rules!
Yes they miss out on a final value fee BUT it's still the rules!

He bought a sign with the buy it now at a great price then resold it for a HUGE profit!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nothing wrong with making a big profit, But using ebay to advertise it, then yanking it to circumvent their fees is WEAK

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
To say a seller is NOT legit is weak! He followed the rules!
To call him names or illegitimate is weak and AGAINST oldgas rules!

*I know the seller and he he didnt sell to avoid fees! he sold because of an offer he couldn't refuse...THATS the rules...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wah Wah, everybody is out to "Beat" the system.

I DID NOT call anyone names

A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
opinions vary !! wink

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Ebay has become a VERY unlikable bully that online sellers have basically no other viable choices to replace it with. My opinion, if there is a loophole in their system....use it. If Ebay was not screwing their sellers(their cash cows)without remorse so often, taking advantage of a legal loophole like this would not be as pallitable.

Jim

Last edited by Mr.Wadhams; Thu Mar 31 2011 07:50 AM.

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
I agree with you Tom,,,, Ebay is doing quite well looking after themselves,, bidders/buyers that don't like auctions ending early are just poor loosers afraid to make a generous offer and buy it early..they are the opposite end of the seller, he wants all he can get and the buyer wants to spend the least.. this conversation is as old as dirt..

Wes.......
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
...poor losers?

...nah - I just like seeing auctions end as scheduled, so everyone can learn the value of a given piece...especially those of us to whom money is definitely 'an object'...

...of course - it would be interesting to see how some of you who defend the practice would act in the following situation:

SCENE: some auction house, during a petroliana auction...the auction's humming along, and during the bidding on a given piece, a man walks up to the auctioneer, interrupting the bidding, whispering in the auctioneer's ear...the auctioneer nods, and the man hands him a wad of cash...the auctioneer then gets back behind the podium...and announces that all bids on that item have been canceled...

...boy, I can see some of you big spenders losing your religion right now! mad

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: gulfiend!
...poor losers?

...SCENE: some auction house, during a petroliana auction...the auction's humming along, and during the bidding on a given piece, a man walks up to the auctioneer, interrupting the bidding, whispering in the auctioneer's ear...the auctioneer nods, and the man hands him a wad of cash...the auctioneer then gets back behind the podium...and announces that all bids on that item have been canceled...

...boy, I can see some of you big spenders losing your religion right now! mad

Nearly this same thing happens all the time at auctions I attend. It's called an "unannounced reserve". Many auctioneers around me let the bidding go to the end....then say "I'm sorry, we need more than that for it". Or we need "$$$ for that item to let it go --- anyone want to bid that?". Or "owner has an offer for more than that". If it's not announced as an absolute auction....they can pull any lots they want. There is more than one auctioneer around me who just sells to a "house" number and it often shows up again at a later auction for another try!. Sometimes dozens of items out of a single auction!

Another thing pertaining to "cheating" or "using" Ebay came to mind...what about when you guys give advice on finding the value of some rare or one of a kind item: Just run it on ebay with a stupid reserve and you will know how to price the item?? (This advice is flawed anyway as an unmet reserve tends to kill bidding)

Jim

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I agree, an auction is an auction and for-sale is for-sale. Anything in between is simply muddying the waters to bend things to suit our needs. Don't like chancing the results to an auction, then SELL IT straight up at your price and wait for a buyer.

........Dave
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S

Mike
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved