Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Classifieds | Bookstore | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Topic Options
#244864 - Sat Apr 02 2011 09:05 AM Ad Glass Shelf / Childs Night Light
DasFast1 Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Kearney, NE
Inspired by D Phillips's post a little while back about how people display their ad glass, I felt the urge to act on idea (Adult ADD will get you everytime). Right about that same time I came across a listing on e-bay that showed a Phillips 66 aviation oil can that I had never seen before (remember I am new to this). I eventually purchase this can from Racecop and find that this was the catalyst for this project. Wanting the ad glass sign to match the oil can, I talk with Jim Treadway (T-ways Graphics)about adding black and orange shields to a flite fuel ad glass. We settled on aviation instead and it turned out pretty good in my opinion. Then found some 12 volt orange LED lights on e-bay and 12 volt transformer and here is what I have come up with for an Ad Glass Display/Oil Can Display shelf that will be used as a night light. Still trying to decide what color to stain it but thought it was far enough along to share.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by DasFast1 (Sat Apr 02 2011 11:08 AM)

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#244880 - Sat Apr 02 2011 09:50 AM Re: Ad Glass Shelf / Childs Night Light [Re: DasFast1]
itsagas Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Four Corners
Very nice. I like the orange LED's.

#244900 - Sat Apr 02 2011 10:50 AM Re: Ad Glass Shelf / Childs Night Light [Re: itsagas]
coopwyo Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Cheyenne, Wyoming
Nice job! Anything that combines woodworking and "old stuff" is right up my alley!

It looks like you used poplar to build it -- if so, whatever color you choose to stain it, make sure you use a gel stain or it will get really blotchy.

I hope you don't mind if my students use your idea -- that looks like something some of them would really get a kick out of building.

Chris

#244901 - Sat Apr 02 2011 11:03 AM Re: Ad Glass Shelf / Childs Night Light [Re: coopwyo]
DasFast1 Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Kearney, NE
Chris,

Don't mind at all. Extra credit for your students - The next thing I would like to incorporate into it would be a photocell so that when the room light shuts off, the LEDs come on. Just not sure where I want the hole for the photocell.

Edited by DasFast1 (Sat Apr 02 2011 11:06 AM)

#245313 - Mon Apr 04 2011 02:26 AM Re: Ad Glass Shelf / Childs Night Light [Re: DasFast1]
racecop Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: The Hawkeye State, Iowa
Very nice! I know your son will love it.

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2016 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved