Next Thread
Print Thread
#24574 Sun Apr 10 2005 07:47 PM
W
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
W
I need to know how to get the pump mchanism on a visible unstuck it is a clear vision pump. Is there something that I could pour in there to disolve to rust. how about our resident machinist dodo got any ideas

ward

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#24575 Sun Apr 10 2005 08:17 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Ward, there are endcaps on the cylinder, unbolt them , oil it up after cleaning, should help. Could put oil in the pipe from the top, but pulleng ends off will likely show what is wrong.

#24576 Sun Apr 10 2005 09:58 PM
W
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
W
dodo

I pulled the sides rusty in there looks like some one way valves too. Does the whole piston move or do the one way valves just open the walls of the pump are rusty funny thing no rust on the outside. What kind of oil just regular motor oil what weight mabe penitrating oils?? There was a lot of dirt in the pump I left it in the parts washer filled the larger side full. Any other ideas

ward

#24577 Sun Apr 10 2005 10:45 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I am going off the parts book, never been in one.

The pistons are sort of like a dumbell, should be near flat on the end you see when you pull the cap off. They are hooked together by a centre part with a hump in it, a link goes from this to the crank handle. The pistons assembly I would think is cast so be careful. There may be a flapper or valve on the piston face, would make sense.

Clean out what you can in the bores and try to get oil in the middle part, penetrating oil should work but any oil is better than none. You should be able to pound on the piston with a 2x4 or 3x3 using a framing hammer or light ball pein, just tap from one side, them the other, keep oiling.Try tapping before you haul out a torch.

Are the end plates good?, many are brazed up from freezing. Are you trying to get it to feel like it works, or actually use it??

#24578 Mon Apr 11 2005 04:34 PM
W
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
W
Dodo I got it going had to clean the bores with a sanding flap wheel as they were rusty. I pounded on the pistons as you had said they are brass by the way and after I got it working really quite well I sprayed the bores down with white lithum that should keep it nice and free

ward

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved