Next Thread
Print Thread
#245876 Wed Apr 06 2011 10:18 AM
fast66 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hello,
I have a conversation with this seller about his plastic Pegasus. I wrote to him to express my concerns about its originality. We have a healthy conversation and he has asked me to post the question here. So lets hear your opinions - was there ever a Pegasus like this in the US - is it original as the person who sold it to him says?

Item #190519585179, or link http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190519585179&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

br
Claes

A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
My GUESS, is that was moded from the real deal. Might be worth 2-300.... my opinion... I have been wrong... many times smile

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've seen a couple fiberglass pegasus on buildings back in the early 60's. From what I know of them, the one for auction wasn't one of them.

As they were often hung on a wall and/or facade of the station over the office doorway or roll-up bay doors, a station owner needed to ensure that they wouldn't come down in a stiff breeze or wind.

The ones I have knowledge of, had heavy brackets on them. These were re-enforced inside, with marine grade 3/4" plywood to ensure the wind wouldn't tear the fiberglass apart.

The station in my hometown had such a Pegasus, and my father worked with the station owner to re-enforce these gussets and brackets on more than one occasion after a winter storm rolled in off of the ocean and up the Columbia.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Looks to me like a run of the mill fiberglass reproduction.

Please visit my website Gasstuff.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If it was to be original still not worth 300. WHY would Mobil not paint the white lines

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
M
M
Hi, I am the seller of the Pegasus in question (like he is a suspect in a crime, ha!) Anyway, Fast66 suggested I join the forum. I have been reading on here for years and always thought of joining, but just never did. I collect and like most of you I'm sure, also sell from time to time to support my collecting. I am not out to just make a buck so it is important to me that I have knowledge of the things I am selling. The story on this horse was that it was made in the 50's. It came from a really nice gentleman in his 80's. I have bought, sold and traded many items with the man and I trust him. His family has owned the service station from the 30's and still runs it as a repair shop (pumps are long gone). He told me this was an original wall hanger.

For those of you wondering if I have lost my mind, no, I don't expect to get over $3K out of the piece. I just didn't know enough to price it properly, so I thought I'd let the people decide. I love the comments and really want to know it's history.

Since I am posting here anyway, I may as well ask about another piece. I also purchased an original lollipop / sidewalk sign base and pole from him (no sign or hanger/frame). It still has some red paint on it and has the gargoyle, Mobiloil and property of Socony... I am sure it is legit. The pole is solid, no holes. What is its general value?

Thanks and I am happy to finally be a member of Oldgas!

Last edited by Stock67Bird; Wed Apr 06 2011 01:38 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
i cant say original or not,but here is mine which is a repo and i paid 100.00 for it. when i got it it did not have the white,i had my sign guy do that for me(much steadier hand).i have heard these(mine)were made using a metal embossed sign as a mold,but do not know how true that is.anyways,just thought it would be good tocompare to.there are two wire type hangers imbedded in the fiberglass to hang,one in the nose and one 1 the top wing.look identical to hangers on ebay horse.

Last edited by oldnfuelish; Wed Apr 06 2011 02:18 PM.

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
M
M
Thanks for the picture, nice display. It looks pretty close. I am going to take some better pictures (the ones on ebay are a bit blurry) and some with a tape measure showing exact size. I'd really love to get to the bottom of this. It seems that there is a lot of question as to if these things even existed in fiberglass before they were repoped. Thanks!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've never seen a fiberglass or plastic pegasus that wasn't new. The one I have is just like the one Mick has. I think I paid about the same price.
Don

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
fast66 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks everyone for your opinions!
br
Claes

fast66 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
...and Welcome to Oldgas!
//Claes

M
M
I found a good solution... since I can't determine if the pegasus is old or not, I decided to just keep it and mount it over my two-year-old's bed. He like the "ha-osie". Thanks everyone for your input.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved