Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2457 Thu Feb 14 2008 10:47 AM
J
OP Offline
J
I plan on listing a few globes on eBay in the near future and am looking for any helpful hints on packing and shipping them. Thanks, Jim

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#2458 Thu Feb 14 2008 11:28 AM
I dont ship very many globes, but here is what I do.
1. Fill the inside of the globe with packing peanuts. Wrap packing tape around the globe to help secure the lenses to the body. Tape the bottom shut so the peanuts will not escape.
2. Wrap the globe in large bubble wrap.
3. Put the wrapped globe in a box filled with packing peanuts.
4. Put the box inside another box filled with packing peanuts, making the globe double boxed.

There might be better ways, but I have not had one break yet doing it this way.

------------------
visit my website for original gas pump parts

thepumpdump.com

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

#2459 Thu Feb 14 2008 11:45 AM
J
OP Offline
J
Very helpful! Thanks, Jim

#2460 Thu Feb 14 2008 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
After you pack it like Ryan suggested, if you can throw it and it does not break, it's packed good enough to ship. If you don't trust it to be dropped from 3 feet, don't ship it.
Don't think for one minute anyone else cares about the contents of the package but sender and receiver,
unless it gets left on the wrong porch,...lots of insurance, AND PUT AN ADDRESS INSIDE IN CASE OF LABEL DAMAGE.

Reinforce the inside box corners good, there is no telling how much weight will be placed on top of the box you are shiping. NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE DESTRUCTIVE POWER OF THE SHIPPING GO-RILLAS....

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
#2461 Thu Feb 14 2008 02:31 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Much appreciated. Has anybody had better luck with a particular carrier e.g. UPS, FedEx, USPS, etc. when it come to globes?

#2462 Thu Feb 14 2008 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
cant say whose better,but walked outside and watched that guy in the brown truck throw the box with one of my globes off the truck.it survived.when i nicely told him it was fragile,he looked at me like i was a jerk.. good advice from both ryan and joe!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
#2463 Thu Feb 14 2008 02:53 PM
That is so true. Spend the extra time packaging it to make sure it survives. It will save you lots of drama for the future.

Seems like if you put a fragile sticker on the box, then it is almost a contest for them to try to destroy the box in transit. I ship most items ups, especially off of ebay, because of the tracking.

I once had a guy off of ebay say he didnt get his item, and he was mad. I looked up the tracking number and it showed it was delivered over one week earlier and that is was signed for. He replied that he had found it under his porch and it must have blown under there. Right. With todays feedback system, I would just have gotten another negative for no reason.

However you ship the globes, I would make sure they have some kind of tracking number on them if it were me.

------------------
visit my website for original gas pump parts

thepumpdump.com

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

#2464 Thu Feb 14 2008 03:46 PM
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
I think the packing advice is pretty much covered but definately get insurance that's most important+tracking. I hear what you're sayin Mick, I don't know what brown can do for anyone else but I sure know what they've done for me in the past.

#2465 Thu Feb 14 2008 03:52 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
if only to be fair,they have gotten more of them to me in one peice than in kit form.but after three you really start to get biased!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
#2466 Thu Feb 14 2008 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If the lenses are on a glass or metal body, remove them and put them in a separate box from the body, then put both boxes into a larger box. Capco globes should be fine just wrapped tightly in stretch wrap or taped.

Wes

#2467 Thu Feb 14 2008 05:12 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If possible pack the body and lenses in seperate boxes. Then place both of those boxes in a larger box (body on bottom, lenses on top). Be sure to add extra cardboard in the bottom and top of the box in case something is dropped on your box.

If packaged well USPS probably won't destroy it. UPS on the other hand can and will destroy anything! NEVER ship a globe through UPS. You won't need to see them throw, kick or climb on many globes to know why I say that.

Don't count on insurance either. Shippers will try to blame breakage on poor packaging.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#2468 Thu Feb 14 2008 05:22 PM
C
C
Here is another idea on shipping fragile items, Wrap your globe in plastic and put in a large box then fill with spray foam insulation. I have had very good luck shipping USPS Priority with delivery confirmation. Like Ryan it can be very helpful to check on items.....

#2469 Thu Feb 14 2008 07:25 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
When I pack fragile items I use 1" styrofoam. I cut a piece to fit the bottom of the cardboard box, then cut pieces for the 4 sides and a piece for the top. This makes a very strong box and is very light. I use bubble wrap to protect item and fill with foam peanuts.
Wayne

Wayne

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved