Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#247371 Tue Apr 12 2011 08:50 PM
cormy Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I won a thin metal 24x18 sign on one of the last auctions. Credit card bill came with a $35 shipping fee. I thought that was high. Throw in the 15% surcharge and it starts really add up.

Just thought it was high shipping..

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
packed and shipped for $35 is a good deal from an auction house

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I bought five items from different Matthews auctions and never had a issue with the shipping charges. They are cheap compared to some stories I heard from other auction houses.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
P
P
I agree with Neil, $35 doesn't sound bad. However, I'd suggest you contact the folks at Matthews Auction if you're not satisfied......they have a reputation for fairness and customer satisfaction. Then let us know here on Oldgas how it turns out.

Richard

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
It does sound reasonable given todays high shipping cost. Seems everytime I sell something I lose money on the shipping, rates just keep on going.
Craig

Craig
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
You have to remember also that they pay for the pacakaging materials plus the shipping. I have never had an issue, think that sounds reasonable.

Thanks, Phil
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sounds like a very fair price. By the time he pays for packing materials and pays someone to package stuff he's probably losing money on the shipping.
Have you called Matthews? Not sure why you'd post here if you hadn't called him first.
For future auctions you could save on shipping by attending the auctions in person. With possible lost wages for the day of the auction and maybe a couple of travel days to and from the auction, meals, lodging, fuel......hmm, all of a sudden shipping prices don't seem so bad.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
They could have done like some ebay sellers, Roll it to fit into a mailing tube or Fold to fit a Priority Box!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
35. is cheap...

RANDY
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Barking up the wrong tree on this one. They are good people to work with.

Craig
cormy Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Don't recall saying they were bad people..it was an observation I had.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have heard many high shipping cost stories. Recently bought a few items from a Mathews auction and was pleasantly surprised at the reasonable cost to ship to Canada...

Colin Latreille
Always looking for Quality Canadian Oil & Gas & Ford Signs
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I have bought from a number of different auction houses including Matthews and have never thought any of them were out of line...I guess that's because I have also done a lot of shipping and packaging and realize that it is not cheap and is time consuming. Whenever I buy a globe off of ebay or elsewhere from somebody that is not familiar with correctly packaging it, I send my specific instructions as to how to pack it and offer to cover any additional costs they may have for proper materials or oversize shipping. Well...I ended up paying over a hundred dollars once to have a globe shipped from CA to MI...but it came in a box half the size of a refrigerator and was triple boxed. The point here is that it arrived UNDAMAGED...as many of us know it is a whole lot easier to pay for shipping, materials, and time to properly package an item than it is to receive a damaged item and then try to file a claim and hope for a refund. Just my thoughts on the issue.

I offer quart can re-lidding, can rolling, lid stamping, and dent removal.
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Just as a comparison about a month or two ago I won a Quaker State tombstone sign that measured approx 26.5 x 28.75 off a Proxibid auction and I ended up paying around $47 for shipping.

Life is like a video game. The more you play, the better you get!!!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
$35 bucks to ship and insure a sign that size was not unreasonable at all. Shipping costs have gone up considerably in the last few months and good old FedEx and UPS are throwing in fuel surcharges on top of the increases. If I double box a globe going to the West Coast shipping and fuel surcharges are $60+, insurance with UPS is now nearly a buck per $100 in value, and it costs me $10-12 for boxes and bubble wrap. Throw in your time to pack an item properly and there are very few people that make anything on shipping.

Just my 2 cents!

Lonnie Hop

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved