Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member

RARE Mobil Pegasus "Perfect Gasolines" porcelain sign.

Listed on Ebay #150591644216
Enter number in Ebay box below.

Email :john@barnquiltshop.com

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
Web site: www.barquiltshop.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Never seen before, sign has a lot of holes in it-
what did it mount to? It doesn't look like it was meant to come off- Is it authentic?

RANDY
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
This is a regional oil company from the Lacrosse Wisconsin area. In the early 1930's they were affiliated with Wadhams out of Milwaukee. Two signs are mounted back to back with a 6"? porcelain stip in between them. And the pole ran inside.

I salvaged 45 of these signs that were the sheathing for a farm shed.That was about 10 years ago. The grey paint looks like it is still on the back? The signs all faced in. When the owner opened the door and I walked in I was speechless! They painted the outside grey....and I didn't notice they were all porcelain signs from the outside! They even cut them for the gable ends. The extra holes are from the spikes that were drove through into the Oak studs. They utilized the existing perimeter holes also. I had to grind the heads off with a angle grinder since I could not pull them of the oak. Two days to get the job done. Over a ton of signs!

Here is the regular Wadhams versions.

wad_gas1.jpg

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Some more info on John's sign:

Could only find this picture of the inside of the "Perfect" building. I have more pictures somewhere. I am pretty sure if you find one of these signs...it came from this building. I have never seen any others. I hunted all over the property trying to find those Mobil shield attachments....no luck there.

The story is two old bachelors who had the old farm and built the building,also ran some kind of gas station contracting business.

The building was going to be bulldozed to put in a road to a new subdivision. The building was right near the road on a major highway.

Jim

perfectsigns1.jpg

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks for the background Jim. So the three small holes were from nails not bullets I guess. This one looks like it had a frame around it. I wonder what happened to all of them after you sold them. This is the only other one I have seen besides yours.
So, yes very authentic.
I wonder how many more times people will come across stuff like this.
Thanks again Jim for the clarification.

Last edited by Old Racer; Thu Apr 14 2011 04:48 PM. Reason: Typo

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I wonder what happened to them also. I may have seen one other since I sold the main bunch of them in one deal.

Yes that would be nail holes. They drilled a small hole and then drove a 16D spike through it...found some broken drill bits in some of the holes. Thats why it flares out like a bullet hole. The signs overlapped so the mounting holes lined up...the building was painted after it was put up...that may make it look like a frame was attached?

I think nail holes are more desireable than bullet holes. smile

Jim

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Now that you explain it Jim, it all ties together. Good thing they only put the three small holes in it. The rest of the field looks good.
I actually hate to sell it now that it has been touched up and it took over a year to find a shield for it. I have just run out of room to put big signs.
I was thinking of starting on the house, but my wife said NO!

I also wonder what happened to all of those shields???

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved