Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#249350 Thu Apr 21 2011 08:19 AM
D
Dkinev Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Once you find your favorite display spot for your gas pump you need to route your electric light cord underneath the pump so you can plug it in. What is a common method to raise the pump off the ground a half inch or so while maintaining stability and route the cord underneath? The pump is a Wayne 60 wide body. Thanks, Dan

Dan Kinev
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Dkinev #249354 Thu Apr 21 2011 08:37 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dan........that's wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy to much trouble to mess with ,just drill a hole about a eighth of an inch,or "cord size" and slap a rubber "thang a ma jiggy", its alot easier ! i forget what there called but you can get a box of them at "lowes or home depot" they usually have about 4 or 5 different sizes in a box!

_1.jpg

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
DIESEL #249356 Thu Apr 21 2011 08:40 AM
If you have the pump base painted black, then 4 hockey pucks will do fine, (blend in with the base....gives you nice rounded corners....soft enough not to scratch/hurt the floor underneath...also provides good air circulation)
adapted from an air compressor installed on the garage floor in order to deafen the vibration noise.

Last edited by baugie; Thu Apr 21 2011 08:48 AM.
Dkinev #249360 Thu Apr 21 2011 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You only need about a 1/4" for most 16/2 lamp cord. A little more if using a 3-wire cord/wire.

If you are putting this directly on the house floor, try considering a wooden base between the floor made of 3/4" plywood cut slightly larger than the pump base esp if inside the house. If in the Garage, then figure a decent clearance for the wire and make a base. Either way, you'll have to cut a groove in the wood to allow the wire to go from the inside under the base to the outside and an outlet. I know some people have their pumps on rubber caster wheels for moving convenience and wire clearance. I have also seen some people drill a hole in the lower bottom side corner and put a wire stop in the metal so the wire isn't up against the metal.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
baugie #249363 Thu Apr 21 2011 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sometimes on different brands of pumps, there is a little room between the sheet metal and the base, where you can route the cord thru. On others where thats impossible, a small hole and rubber grommet is the best solution

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
½ inch clearance is ok on concrete or short carpet. ¾ inch is minimum on longer pile carpet with a pad underneath. That’s my experience anyway. But like Doc said it does depend on the type of cord you use. I have some thicker cord right now that I’ll likely create a ¾ gap for concrete and 1 inch gap for carpet. Anyway, here is what I did. The swivel caster wheels I chose were the exact height as the inside of my pump base. So since I wanted ½ clearance, I took ½ inch plywood and traced the inside shape of my pumps based and cut to fit. Then I screwed the caster wheels on with just barely enough clearance to the sides so they wouldn’t touch. This made it easy to move. It didn’t sit on the cord and cause the pump to tilt one way so it was level and it allowed me to display the pump from what ever side I wanted with out a cord taking away from the pump’s looks. I also didn’t have to have a platform or base to take away from the pump either. The only down side to this is that it is not as stable as a base that the wheels are placed on the outside. But if you’re not trying to win the Indy 500 you’ll be fine. It really all depends on what you’re going to do with it, if you’ll move it a lot and how particular you are.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Life is like a video game. The more you play, the better you get!!!
Dkinev #249386 Thu Apr 21 2011 10:39 AM
I'm with Chris. Run your cord through the side of the pump using a rubber grommet. It's clean and professional looking.

D
Dkinev Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks guys! All great ideas that are no doubt proven to work. I really appreciate you all taking the time to write in and send pictures to help me out. There are several indivduals on this website that have in the past few months provided me with parts and information to complete this pump. I will take a few pictures and upload them once I get the pump finished. Thanks, Dan

Dan Kinev
baugie #249432 Thu Apr 21 2011 01:48 PM
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Originally Posted By: baugie
If you have the pump base painted black, then 4 hockey pucks will do fine, (blend in with the base....gives you nice rounded corners....soft enough not to scratch/hurt the floor underneath...also provides good air circulation)
adapted from an air compressor installed on the garage floor in order to deafen the vibration noise.

Spoken like a true Canadian!

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Eh.....hockey pucks are in good supply up here and are NOT just for hockey......Eh

baugie #249513 Thu Apr 21 2011 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: baugie
Eh.....hockey pucks are in good supply up here and are NOT just for hockey......Eh

LOL grin

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This is what I did. Made a pump Island out of 2x4 pine and tounge and groove boards. Wired it up for electric and put outlets on the top. I set the pumps over the outlet and plug it in. That way you do not have to drill into the pump doors or anything and it gets it up off the ground a couple inches like they were when in actual use.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
The little tongue and grove project is pretty slick-rick. Mine is going to be sitting in a corner and will have the rubber gromet with a cord coming out the side - simple, inexpensive and effective.

BIGTOM #249752 Fri Apr 22 2011 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I always grind a deep groove in the bottom of the 'backside' of the base before any paint work is completed.

Then I simply route the cord under the base through the groove and plug it in. As long as you make the groove deep enough, you can push in/pull out as much cord as you need and not have a bunch coiled up on the floor bahind the pump.

Later . . .

Jim

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved