Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
top one is real !!???? Darker blue, font looks older... how did I do ??? lol
ps I wrote this before I read the text. Dick would be soooo proud of me wink

Last edited by always lookin; Wed Apr 20 2011 12:33 PM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
It's getting scary out there,these fakes are getting good.Every smallest detail has to be gone over.The best way,of course,is to hold in hand!

Robert

Searching For SunRay DX and Diamond Oil Signs
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...counterfeiters (and some hack artists who make dated repros) are lazy! They set type on a computer instead of recreating the original, hand-created type? Why? Because it's hard to work from a lo-res image, or they don't want to take the time...

...train your eyes, people...it would be great if we had more posts asking 'original or fake?', and less people worrying 'how much is this worth?'...it would damn sure make it harder for the counterfeiters to rip you off...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
How do they dare to print another sign makers name on it?? Thats not reproduction, thats fraud!
Of course if its foreign made, they could give a rip.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R
Thanks gulfiend for your posts.

Looking for photos, etc from 60s era Shell-A-Rama gas station and Pal's Diner, Rt. 17 Mahwah, NJ
& US or state highway signs, shields, route markers
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Well here's mine, I was going to bid on the one VCM was but something just didn't feel right about it, to perfect??

E
E
Fake.......no doubt about...I can't even believe anyone thinks different...... that is the worst attempt of a stamped makers name i've ever seen on porcelain.....even TRay would be embarrassed of it.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
This new seller must have got scared off. The fake sign has been pulled off!

Robert

Searching For SunRay DX and Diamond Oil Signs
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Magneto,
Let's see a picture of Minute Man sign.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I see he as relisted the sign with a nice message to the experts. Mitch #250808564787

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...and either he's got a shill or a pigeon, it's got a bid already...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Quote:
Seller..SHOULD YOU BE INTERESTED IN BUYING THIS SIGN, IT IS FOR SALE FOR THE PRICE LISTED. $599.00

That Statement tells me he knows/suspects it's a REPOP & is just trying to get money he paid for it back.

An Original in that condition would be in the Thousands, not Hundreds & seller would have a Reserve.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
i want to change my opinion after further looking into it i cant say for sure it is real or reproduction, the owner told me he has over 1000 signs and if you own the sign being experienced and cant tell and giving me a story different 2X ?? i have found several other Veribrite greyhound same measurments out there identical to this one but again couldnt tell. it scares me enough i wouldnt want to buy it for 599. I also saw a Porcelain Oilzum Sidewalk sign that was done correct where if the owner hadnt told me and it wasnt for sale i would of paid. thats whats great about getting opinions from other collectors and dealers on Pri Petro Old gas, because i almost paid for this greyhound sign. I do love the real unquestionable signs though.

tjccafferty@yahoo.com
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Looks like he pulled it again. It didn't look like mine due to the fonts. My greyhound sign has "the" in script. There are a few versions i suppose but i couldn't say on his if it was real or fake. Good to have the info on this site.

M
M
Originally Posted By: tjccafferty
i want to change my opinion after further looking into it i cant say for sure it is real or reproduction, the owner told me he has over 1000 signs and if you own the sign being experienced and cant tell and giving me a story different 2X ?? i have found several other Veribrite greyhound same measurments out there identical to this one but again couldnt tell. it scares me enough i wouldnt want to buy it for 599. I also saw a Porcelain Oilzum Sidewalk sign that was done correct where if the owner hadnt told me and it wasnt for sale i would of paid. thats whats great about getting opinions from other collectors and dealers on Pri Petro Old gas, because i almost paid for this greyhound sign. I do love the real unquestionable signs though.

I think you need a new keyboard or something.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved