Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#24992 Mon Feb 21 2005 08:35 AM
A
OP Offline
A
I purchased an original Milton driveway bell off ebay last week and it was supposed to be in "working condition" but guess what it is not. The problem seems to be this: when you plug it in and force air through it the plunger sticks in what I think is the magnet portion, as soon as you unplug the bell the plunger falls back into its seat. I noticed that the magnet the plunger goes through can be removed, can these be purchased? Does anyone have any questions on how to get the bell working? Thanks in advance for anyhelp!

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#24993 Mon Feb 21 2005 08:43 AM
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
I would remove it and take some sandpaper and lightly sand the portions around the plunger. The coil is magnetic and pulls it up there, and the steel has to be clean in order for it to magnetize. I hope this helps.

Thanks, Phil

Thanks, Phil
#24994 Mon Feb 21 2005 08:50 AM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Andy, it sounds like your transformer is sticking. Try some contact cleaner and sandpaper to clean the contacts. If that doesn't work try and find a cheap doorbell transformer 110v and replace it.

My kids and their friends love my driveway bell. Most of the time it drives me crazy because they jump up and down on the hose. Definitely lets you know when someone shows up at your house though and brings a nostolgic tear to the eyes of those of us that remember that familiar sound.

C Cragg
#24995 Mon Feb 21 2005 10:52 AM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
You know they only work if the rite side is turned up ,try it both ways.
Also I had one that just vibrated like yours never got that one working sold it on feegay as needs help.Good Luck Andy and thanks again for the map sleeves.
REX LIKES KYSO

#24996 Mon Feb 21 2005 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Andrew, Rex is right... make sure it is standing up or mounter to the wall. Then don't use force air... just lightly blow in the end because gravity is how it works. I have 2 of them myself. Not much to them. LOL Let us know what you find.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
#24997 Tue Feb 22 2005 08:54 AM
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks everyone for the help. I got brave and took the bell apart. I cleaned the contact and plunger. Seems to work great now. It really is a simple design just need a good degreasing/derusting. Thanks again!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved