Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
Many good hidden deals on ebay. I found an original 1920's Porcelain ford parts sign in near mint condition listed in the wrong area with a vague title for a steal. The stuff is there just look.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
BIGTOM, I collect two companies, one pretty common and I have history with,thru my work.Other was bought out during depression in 1940, so not so common and not easy to find items.I have contacted collectors that buy and sell, have websites shared that I have interest in this company and they give me heads up when they get items, for resale. I don't sell, unless I replace a item with a better condition item. So everything is not for sell, not here anyway. Changed the course of my interest,, and did sell some texaco stuff, but I sold to friends that showed interest. Got out the other day and found small town stuck in time, still has bulk station, about 20 DX pumps lined up on a old house porch. Just got to keep your eyes open, and willing to explore out of the way places.

Last edited by Loyd Pierce; Tue Apr 26 2011 07:25 PM. Reason: spelling---------------

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
Hey I wish I lived closer to Always Lookin....I'd be at his place once a week to see what was new! I wish I had a few friends here in MA like that. Nothing wrong with making an honest living. It's hard work MOST of the time!

Mainly focused on Oilzum, Jenney, Harris Oil items & original paint gas pumps.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Old Iron
I hate to correct you Bigtom,but you are wrong when you say "99%of stuff is for sale" regardless.You have to understand that to many collectors,collecting for the enjoyment of the hobby and preservation of history as primary motives,money is of little significance.

I could point to several examples where very valuable pieces and/or collections are being donated to museums reater than being sold.A couple of examples have been posted on here.

Further,around here,I could name some collectors who have been asked to "just put a price on it" and responded "not for sale".Money can buy things from people who want money;it can't buy history from those who value it more than money.

Like many collectors I buy a few items to resell to help fund my collecting. The focus of my collection has changed over time so I sometimes sell off pieces that no longer fit in with the focus of my collection. Under the right circumstances I might even sell a portion of my globe collection, but about 1/3 of my globes and my Sinclair collection will not be for sale in my lifetime.

Back to the original topic....
The stuff is everywhere. You have to work at it! Local auctions, flea markets, automotive swap meets, petroliana swap meets, ebay, petroliana auctions, and antique malls, dealers and collectors.
At this point I mostly buy at petroliana auctions and from dealers.
Collect what you like and what you can afford. You'll likely refine the focus of your collection over time.
When I was starting out a veteran collector friend would preach to me condition, condition,condition. He would tell me no matter how much money I had to spend at a show or auction I should buy the single best item I could afford rather than buying multiple cheaper, less desirable items. That was excellent advice.
Most of us collect a variety of things but focus mainly on certain items like handy oilers, or gas pump salt and pepper shakers, or signs, or anything from a certain company. Some guys won't buy anything unless its a deal. Once you refine the focus of your collection you'll likely be less concerned about finding a "deal" than buying an item that you need to fill a void in your collection.
Go to as many petro shows and auctions as you can. Network with other collectors and dealers. The friendships you make at the shows and auctions will make the hobby that much more enjoyable.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved