Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Books | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#289338 - Tue Dec 06 2011 10:22 PM Re: Standard Oil Crown Gas Globes [Re: maojunior]
Maps for the memories Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Midwest
I parse that to read that the gasoline, not the crown, was dyed purple.
But, how recently was non-farm use fuel dyed? The cigar box shows the late '40s-late '50s version of the torch and oval. The "purple power" advertising sign I've seen dated from the '30s.

With Chicago so close to Whiting, I'd guess that the more unusual marketing would be in the Chicago area. By the Pure Oil research center in Crystal Lake was a frequently updated test market station. Such fun!

Edited by Maps for the memories (Tue Dec 06 2011 10:25 PM)

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#289353 - Wed Dec 07 2011 12:15 AM Re: Standard Oil Crown Gas Globes [Re: Maps for the memories]
maojunior Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: NY
Maps, isn't that slogan great on that box? "A good gasoline is like a good smoke!'...can you imagine the uproar for similar advertising today! I concur it is quite fun putting all the clues together!

#289477 - Wed Dec 07 2011 03:02 PM Re: Standard Oil Crown Gas Globes [Re: maojunior]
Petro Enthusiast

I'm always amused when I see smoking items, especially matches, used to advertise gasoline.
"Here, try these together and see what happens!"

Another amusing cigar box I've seen featured the Milwaukee Public Library.

#289527 - Wed Dec 07 2011 05:43 PM Re: Standard Oil Crown Gas Globes [Re: Maps for the memories]
maojunior Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Maps, any links to the purple power ads of the 30s that you mentioned?

#289595 - Wed Dec 07 2011 10:02 PM Re: Standard Oil Crown Gas Globes [Re: maojunior]
Petro Enthusiast

No links saved, but I'll see what I can find. There was a picture on Oldgas of a roof rack sign with 3 sides and suction cups at Peotone last year, if I recall.

In the Duke collection pointed out in another thread, I saw a purple Pan-Am billboard (not in color) using the old sunburst Pan-Am logo. With the Pan-Am/Standard of Indiana connection, that's another clue toward the pre-WWII vintage.

#289599 - Wed Dec 07 2011 10:25 PM Re: Standard Oil Crown Gas Globes [Re: Maps for the memories]
Dick Bennett Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Santa Paula, Calif
Quote:
roof rack sign with 3 sides and suction cups

I've got one, BUT they are 2 sided like a laying down V, made for the roof of car/truck. Has "it's Purple---it's Powerful", in the middle has a RED CROWN.
As w/ the link above it shows an advertisment picture, it advertises RED CROWN Gasoline as being PURPLE, Nothing mentioned about a PURPLE CROWN.

#289777 - Thu Dec 08 2011 08:08 PM Re: Standard Oil Crown Gas Globes [Re: Dick Bennett]
Petro Enthusiast

I found the definitive article from the 4/5/1954 Chicago Tribune. Referring to the 4th:
...yesterday announced a new regular grade gasoline "with a difference you can see."
...said it had colored the product a "distinctive purple" to identify it as the gasoline with the highest octane rating for regular grade in the company's 65 year history.

So, I guess I was off on the dates and apologize for that. Now the Torch & Oval sign makes sense.

#290015 - Fri Dec 09 2011 10:46 PM Re: Standard Oil Crown Gas Globes [Re: Maps for the memories]
maojunior Offline
Petro Enthusiast

another pic of that crown...hard to see the true color...if it was oxidized red, wouldn't it be a blood red? This coloration looks lavender in places. Fascinating!

#290017 - Fri Dec 09 2011 10:49 PM Re: Standard Oil Crown Gas Globes [Re: maojunior]
maojunior Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Also, that place is a architectural salvage company with access to some absolutely amazing finds in history rich Chicago. They have pieces of old theaters, for example, that are simply stunning. I am still trying to find out the exact station location where they located this. Again, the photo is not totally true to actual color.

Edited by maojunior (Fri Dec 09 2011 10:50 PM)

#290055 - Sat Dec 10 2011 08:41 AM Re: Standard Oil Crown Gas Globes [Re: maojunior]
Lastgas15 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: illinois
That's a red crown.

http://www.lastgas15.com/

#290057 - Sat Dec 10 2011 08:44 AM Re: Standard Oil Crown Gas Globes [Re: Lastgas15]
maojunior Offline
Petro Enthusiast

how do you know, lastgas? By the styling? I defer to your knowledge, and I'm sure you have seen tons of these globes in various conditions. I'd still love to see a photo of a purple crown. Has anyone seen one in any of the books?

Edited by maojunior (Sat Dec 10 2011 09:44 AM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun, Watchdog9 

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2017 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved