Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Hey y'all, got my first globe that has a lens that has screws on the side of the lens and into the milk glass body. Asking for guidance on how to correctly and safely re-mount the lens. When I got this globe, I scraped off some old grout and finally got the screws to budge and got the lens off. My question is, do I just reattach using the screws that go thru the sides of the lens into the inside of the globe or do I use some clear caulk with the screws? Or??? Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Chevroid; Wed May 11 2011 06:16 PM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Do Not use any type of caulk UNDER the lenses. Better for next owner IF you do not re-caulk lenses to body, inside displaying it's not needed.

C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Thanks Dick, I'll just go with the screws. Need to go down to Ace and find some real small washers, the old ones fell apart during removal. Thanks for the help!
Chevroid

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Small Thin Plastic or Thin Fiber washers work great.
IF you must 3-4 small dabs of Silicone just to keep lenses from rattling is OK, DO NOT squeeze/press under lenses.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Do not use any kind of caulk if the globe is to be displayed indoors. It is NOT needed.

As Dick stated, get some small fiber washers for the bolts/thumb screws. Or buy a new set so everything screws together nice and easy.

DO NOT overtighten the screws. They should just 'touch' the lenses - then stop tightening. Remember, things will 'move' as the globe assembly heats up when the light is on. The lenses will move differently from the body and you don't want the bolts too tight.

FYI - I check the tightness of all my lens screws at least once a year. More often if the globe is in a high-traffic area. The vibrations from footsteps can loosen the nuts. Checking them yearly should eliminate the possibility of a lens coming loose and falling off the body.

Later . . .

Jim

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks alot Jim... now i am going to have to check my globes because you are correct that can happen. Bill Fortune knows all to well about screws coming loose.
I built my shelf and tied the shelf to the floor joists and every once in awhile my son will jump upstairs and the lenses will rattle. Makes by bunghole pucker up every time then i have to yell upstairs. LOL

These guys are correct, If globe is inside it doesn't need any caulk. If it is a high dollar lens you can for a little insurance. I like using small rubber washers between the screw and glass as the rubber grips the glass. Those brass screws just seem to move to much for me.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
I have this milk glass globe....is this the type being discussed in this thread.....

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yes.

Later . . .

Jim

O.K......does this globe take special lens with "drilled" holes or do the lens of the "Capco" globe fit and the screws are inserted where the notches are?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: baugie
O.K......does this globe take special lens with "drilled" holes or do the lens of the "Capco" globe fit and the screws are inserted where the notches are?

Lenses for glass bodies have deeper notches than those for plastic bodies. You run the risk of chipping out the notches or cracking the lens when you put a shallow notched lens on a glass body.
Lay the body flat. Set the lens on it. If the screws have to be angled to get them in, then you're looking for trouble.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T-Way above makes lenses and i believe he cuts the notches deeper on his lenses to fit glass bodies.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Thanks.....I'll go on T-way's site and choose the lenses I want and also attach a note that it's for the milk glass globe

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Baugie:

As a 'general' rule, double-strength original glass lenses were made for glass bodies. Single-strength original lenses were usually used on CAPCO bodies.

As stated, shallow notches (on single-strength glass) were only deep enough to locate the lenses on the plastic bodies. If you try to mount these shallow notche lenses on a glass body - you run the very real risk of snapping a lens when you try to tighten down the screws.

BTW - I deep notch ALL my 13.5" lenses so my customers can use them on any body: Metal, Glass or CAPCO.

Later . . .

Jim

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IF your afraid of breaking a lens, send it to Jarvis [he has a reputation that's HARD to SHUCK !]. LOL

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved