Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Books | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Topic Options
#257282 - Fri Jun 03 2011 06:44 AM Richfield clock...
gulfiend! Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina
...sure looks like an old clock with a new face to me...the font at the bottom, used for the 'Pam Clock Company' type, is Helvetica...I'm all but positive it should be a different font...

...any thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Richfield-gas-oil-service-station-clock-sign-/270756186829

#257300 - Fri Jun 03 2011 08:39 AM Re: Richfield clock... [Re: gulfiend!]
always lookin Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Pa.
No expert but, all the pams I sold read "Brooklyn 1, NY" at the bottom and the font is not right at the bottom either. No copyright symbol either.

Attachments
DSC04083resize.jpg

Edited by always lookin (Fri Jun 03 2011 08:39 AM)

#257326 - Fri Jun 03 2011 01:08 PM Re: Richfield clock... [Re: always lookin]
agentsteel53 Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
that isn't even Helvetica - it's Grotesque*. Note the shape of the stem of the letter "R".

*yes, that is what the font is called. it's about the least grotesque font out there, but that is its name.

Grotesque, the font, was invented in 1911, so it is plausible, but what is less plausible is the horizontal stretching by about 40%, which is evident not only in the new width, but also the fact that the stroke thickness is much more on vertical strokes than on horizontal ones.

Stretching a font like that is extremely difficult to do with older projection systems, but very, very easy to do digitally.

I don't know anything about clocks, but I do know fonts and digital design and that copyright blurb screams "digital".

Edited by agentsteel53 (Fri Jun 03 2011 01:17 PM)

any questions about road signs - authenticity, value, etc - ask away!

the AARoads shield gallery - over 10,000 historic highway marker photos

San Diego, CA - US 80, 101, 395

Moderator:  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun, Watchdog5 

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2017 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved