Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
eshaver Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I have kidded several times on several forums that I conduct a Not on the Chamber of Commerce tour of former service stations here in Richmond Virginia . FINALLY , Nicole and Bob took me up on my offer . I bet I surprised them . We had a delightful lunch next door to a Pure Oil Cottage in historic Ginter Park . here are some of the sights :
Built about 1920, this was one of Atlantic Refining company's first attempts at retail when they broke away from the Standard Oil trust in 1911. It's at 17th and East Broad ;

In Highland Park, Richmond's first Streetcar neighborhood , Conoco built this Cottage in the middle 1930's

Atlantic used a Greek Revivial several times in the Washington D C area as well as their home of Phillidelphia pennsylvania . We have three such examples here . This is a suvivor of one of their 1 bay stations.

Directly accross the street, this former Gulf was built about the same time on Lombardy street at Overbrook rd .

This famous station has been photographed several times . It was built as The Harvey system or a Atlantic Super station and accessory store . Around the side , there were two repair bays . Two seperate pump islands graced the area closest to the front . A curved far island graced a place a short distance away .

Nicole , hope ya enjoyed the show ....... Ed Shaver

Last edited by Oldgas; Fri Jun 24 2011 06:11 AM. Reason: name correction as requested
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ed, any chance you have pictures of when they were in use as stations?
db

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
The last pic looks like the station that was in the movie Cars.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bob and I had a great time. The tour was a wonderful running commentary not only on the stations but about Richmond Virginia.

There was another cool looking station at the beginning at the beginning that had some really interesting design work along the roof line (Ed, I forgot what brand they sold) that the owner came out of and wasn't too happy we were parking in his lot (tow signs everywhere!), and when I asked for permission to take the picture, said no. The business was on a public street and we could have taken a picture across the street, but why get someone mad.

There was also the station I'm posting here, not as significant as the ones Ed posted, but next to two others that Ed posted, on the same intersection. Ed told us that at one time they were all selling gas. How on earth did they manage to compete?

Then Bob and I spent a few hours at the Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden which was stunning plus had a 100 year old mulberry that you can climb! As an added bonus we passed the Hornes station that Wayne talked about in Port Royal Virginia.

All in all a great day, so thanks Ed!

DSC01660.JPG
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
looks like a real cool tour!enjoyed it very much! thanks mick

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
eshaver Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Dick, uh I wish I could provide "Vintage " shots of any of these stations back in the day . Saddly, I can not . Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved