Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#26149 Sat Feb 14 2004 09:35 PM
M
MM Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I have found some old pumps at some farms around me. How do some of you go and approach people that have an old pump? Typically do people sell them? Do they know what they are worth? I plan to get jacks book here to help me so it will give me an idea on prices etc. My plan was to carry a wad of cash and offer to buy pumps on the spot. Im just a little intimidated since I have not done this before... just wondering if anyone can offer some insight on how you do it. Thanks!

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#26150 Sat Feb 14 2004 09:46 PM
A
A
I've never bought a pump before (my first was an xmas present) but my best advise would be to walk in to the situation armed with as much info as possible and make an offer your comfy with. If the pumps aren't restored, in use, and are left out in the weather, can't see why the owner wouldn't sell.
If the pumps are left outside getting all weathered up, the owners either don't know what they're worth, or don't have the time or skill to restore them.
Thats my 2 cents.
Jimmy

Speaking for:
Awesome Consepts Enterprises
#26151 Sat Feb 14 2004 11:51 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I have purchased many pumps, but I have always approched the subject by asking first "What are you going to do with that old pump out there." Many times this is the answer "If you want it get it the hell out of there."
If they say they say they want to sell it, ask how much they want for it. Always remember they are the seller, they should set the price, it is not up to you to set the price. Again ask them how much they want for it, if it to high (you can determine this by having a copy of my book) either make an offer, or walk a way, if the price is reasonable, buy it.
Jack Sim

[This message has been edited by Jack Sim (edited 02-15-2004).]

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
#26152 Sun Feb 15 2004 07:11 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good advice Jack! I have about 25 pumps in my collection and almost all were bought that way, right off the farm.

Mike

KJV Psalms 16:11

Thou wilt shew me the path of life:
in thy presence is fulness of joy;
at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved