Oldgas.com Home  
Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
With one exception this seems to have worked out well.

Hope to see you this Saturday in Boron Jake.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
put together this design tonight:

that is intended to be a stamp 2 1/4 by 1 inch with a stroke thickness of 0.05 inches. I now need to work with a manufacturer of metal stamps to get the final design down. I requested quotes from 4 places tonight.

If any of you are, or know, a machinist who could put together this stamp for me, I'd be interested in supporting the community here!

I am looking to stamp into 18-gauge A36 steel, so I am imagining O1 tool steel is correct to machine this stamp out of ... I can send an eps file to anyone who is interested in machining this item for me.

PM me, or find me at jake@aaroads.com

Last edited by agentsteel53; Thu May 26 2011 11:31 PM.

jake@aaroads.com

any questions about road signs - authenticity, value, etc - ask away!

the AARoads shield gallery - over 10,000 historic highway marker photos

San Diego, CA - US 80, 101, 395
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Scott Baselt
With one exception this seems to have worked out well.

Hope to see you this Saturday in Boron Jake.

every movie's got one bad actor, eh? smile

see you at Kramers!

jake@aaroads.com

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
...Jake, I wasn't worried about a lawsuit, as I posted nothing but public knowledge...I wrote 'fair use' hoping it would make Jim less likely to edit the post; he's done that in the past with information sourced (and duly credited) from websites open to the public...in our litigious society, who can blame him?

...I'm glad you've decided to mark your signs for what they are...I'm only sorry it hasn't happened until now...

...there are some very shoddy repros - made by others - that are obviously fake, yet some people still get fooled by them...I believe your unmarked signs, if 'beat up' and aged, would fool most people - because, for the most part, they are the most historically accurate...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: gulfiend!
...Jake, I wasn't worried about a lawsuit, as I posted nothing but public knowledge...I wrote 'fair use' hoping it would make Jim less likely to edit the post; he's done that in the past with information sourced (and duly credited) from websites open to the public...in our litigious society, who can blame him?

I had no idea! yeah, gotta love our lawsuit-happy society indeed.

Quote:
...I'm glad you've decided to mark your signs for what they are...I'm only sorry it hasn't happened until now...

...there are some very shoddy repros - made by others - that are obviously fake, yet some people still get fooled by them...I believe your unmarked signs, if 'beat up' and aged, would fool most people - because, for the most part, they are the most historically accurate...

there's always going to be people who will buy anything, regardless of how obviously off it is. there's also going to be people that will take a sand blaster to a marked sign.

can't solve the problem entirely in one fell swoop.

jake@aaroads.com

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Jake - Every good movie does have one bad actor lol... Thank you for all you do for those interested in America's Roads, Highway systems and old road signs. Oldgassers...if you have not been to Jake's website I encourage you to visit. Its packed with information on new/old highways...on the road blogs with great pictures, as well as the largest route shield/sign gallery you will find. If you run across a sign and have questions regarding which year it is from, whether it has been altered or is real - send him an email with a picture and he will let you know. He is an invaluable resourse to our hobby. I think the highway system and old road signs go hand in hand with petroliana.

Wanted: Husky Cans/Signs, Interesting Pump Plates and NC Road Signage

Website www.petrojoe.com
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
thanks, grabber!

remember ... guns don't kill people. Dale Gribble does!

jake@aaroads.com

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Ohio Oil
Originally Posted By: Bud Miley
Mac, Since you are both manufacturer and seller, I do believe it is you who is the hardcore counterfeiter here! You seem to have all the answers for making repops.

agentsteel has been an invaluable resource for members on here educating anyone who has a question about route markers....and he has fellow members here as customers.

He has a great website with pertinent info.

He's been a seller on ebay for 10+ years with 100% feedback.

He's clearly communicated what makes his signs different from originals and has agreed to date his signs on the back.

You've been here less than 6 months and are ripping on this guy in two seperate threads...let's see your accomplishments.

I never knew much about these signs until agentsteel began posting here and he is a welcomed addition to our world of collecting. He's always been helpful, polite, and even asked what he could do to help the problem. I'm sure if you keep trying though you can get him ***** off enough that he will join the ranks of others who no longer post here.
couldnt of said it better!! well done!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
thanks Mick; I appreciate the support smile

off I go on my Memorial Day road trip - first the Kramers Junction swap meet, then off to Oregon and Idaho to see what old signs I can dig up out in the sticks. See you guys on Wednesday!

jake@aaroads.com

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Dude,just checked and looks like your still selling a dozen different Route signs without any marks as you said? Item 270778538508. I see you also say this is porcelain but a couple buyers told me it was a Clearcoat Paint like lacie51 has on his signs and not really porcelain? Porcelain is porcelain and paint is paint. Is this why all your auctions are listed as being Private also.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There is never a Fool Prof way of marking all repo signs that can't be removed. A .05 stamping will be almost the same as using Masking Tape w/ a date.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
it will be the embossed signs which will be marked with the punched "REPLICA" on the back. I have not sold an embossed sign without "REPLICA" stamped into it since last month or so when I ordered the die.

the porcelain signs would have their surface shatter if I attempted to stamp or engrave anything into it.

at this time, Bud Miley, I do request you do something more constructive with your time as opposed to endlessly sniping at me. If you think you can do better, why don't you start your own business?

jake@aaroads.com

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
You tell such big stories. Post us a picture of the new signs with REPLICA Stamped in it so we can all see.

You and lacie51 must have the same Porcelin-Coat sign maker. My friend bought one of your advertised as porcelain signs and its a soft clearcoat paint. I poked it with a pin and its soft..clearly not porcelain as you describe on Ebay. He is keeping it because he is not the type to hassle with a return or argue about it. Do you still say your signs are Porcelain on Ebay?

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Quote:
Post us a picture of the new signs with REPLICA Stamped in it so we can all see.

when the die arrives and I can mark the signs, I will post photos. Until that time, I cannot take a picture of what does not yet exist.

Quote:
I poked it with a pin and its soft..clearly not porcelain as you describe on eBay.

this is blatantly untrue. the friend of yours may return the sign for a refund if he is not 100% satisfied, but it is not reasonable of you to attempt to distort the laws of physics in order to defame my product.

like I said, if you think you can do better, go ahead and do so. it's the American way.

jake@aaroads.com

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Originally Posted By: agentsteel53

when the die arrives and I can mark the signs, I will post photos.
Look at your promises from 2009 you made here. http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=136800&page=1

this is blatantly untrue.

You yourself said that you and lacie51 use the same sign company to make your Porcelin-Coat signs which are not really porcelain in the thread http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=252588

these signs have no shelving. he's using the same company which I use to make my route shields.

that's the easiest way to tell them apart from the real thing, regardless of the quality of the artwork.

also, 14 gauge steel isn't commonly used.

BTW I said he is keeping the sign and it looks good to me, nice copy, but it isnt really hard porcelain as you advertised or marked in any way.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved