Next Thread
Print Thread
#263367 Sun Jul 17 2011 06:27 PM
M
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
M
Ok I am a little confused as usual.Did the early oil companies have aviation grade gasoline at the stations for auto use?I have seen several picture posts that showed aviation gasoline offered at roadside stations for auto use.Was this common? Thanks

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Most oil companies did not market a true aviation gasoline for use in airplanes, at least after the mid-1930s, due to liability issues. True aviation gasoline is refined more carefully and filtered more that automotive fuels and practices are in place to minimize any water in the fuel.
Prior to that, airplane gasoline was not significantly different that the highest quality automotive gasoline. Oil companies beginning in the early 1920s used the designation "aviation" (sometimes "aircraft") to indicate that this was their top grade fuel, but it was, indeed, marketed through regular service stations for automotive use. The practice was largely eliminated by the late 1930s due to the potential confusion of mis-fueling an airplane with automotive fuel.

Wayne Henderson
Petroleum Collectibles Monthly
Kernersville, NC

Wayne Henderson
Petroleum Collectibles Monthly
Kernersville, NC
M
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
M
Thanks Wayne.I have always wanted to restore a pump with one of the many aviation globes offered.Just trying to get a little more history on the different intended uses.Makes it more desirable to me knowing it was used as automobile gasoline.Thanks again.Mark

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved