Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#264991 Mon Jul 25 2011 07:55 PM
K
OP Offline
K
Hi all
Im new to the forum here and new to pump all together. A few months back I decided that I wanted an old pump to dress up my back porch. I have been looking since then and finally came across a good deal on a Tokheim 39 short. It needs to be restored but it is all there except the globe. The computer faces and all the trim is in pretty good shape, The body has a nice patina of surface rust. I really want to restore it back to original if possible but I really dont know where to start. How many color and looks where avalible?
Also I think its worth noting that the serial # and date stamp are readable... its dated 12/51
here are some pics

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Tokheim made a number of pumps that they put the 39 on, what is more important is what is listed on the ID tag after the 39. It appears to be a 39-L EZ, it is shown on page 287 of my Gas Pump Identification book (for more info on the book see: www.petrocollect.com).
As for restoring it:
Take it apart, take a lot of pictures
Have it sand blasted.
Check with anybody, family, to see if any of them once owned a service station, then decide what colors to paint it. The guys here on this website will assist you in the colors.
Then try and remember how to reassemble it.
You can buy the globe from Gas Pump Heaven, check out their website.

If you want to see pictures of your pump, go to my website: www.petrocolect.com

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WELCOME to Oldgas.
It's hard on all of us to admit that we have an ADDICTION.

I wouldn't restore it to any company that wasn't in business when your pump was made [but Lots of others have & do].
get a few vendor catalogs, Select the company, buy the Globe, Signs/Decals then have Paint MIXED to match decals/signage. Not all old paint codes are easy to switch over & NOT all decals/signage/globes are an exact match to old colors.

As Jack said take LOTS of pictures while your tearing it down & BURN TO A CD, computers DO CRASH & wipe-out files.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WELCOME TO OLDGAS. YOU HAVE SOME VERY GOOD ADVICE THERE. THERE WILL BE MORE PUMP TO COME. LOL GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN

Always looking for grizzly gasoline stuff, or any Montana gas and oil stuff.
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Welcome to Oldgas!Looks like you have a nice straight pump to start with.The 39 is a good one to start with also.Good luck on your project and keep us posted on your results.Mark

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good advice from two guys who no pumps for sure. The 39 is a good pump to start with they come apart easy and go back together easy. I agree with jack take lots of pictures as you will refer to them on the reassemble. Welcome to oldgas

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
s932 #265027 Tue Jul 26 2011 05:22 AM
Welcome to Oldgas.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to Old Gas! Theres a wealth of information available amongst the membership and most are very willing to share. Don't be afraid to ask questions and we'll do our best to answer them.
KEVIN

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
K
OP Offline
K
thanks everyone for the warm reception! I have done some car and motorcycle restorations over the years. I am in the middle of a semi restoration on a super beetle... I really like putting old stuff like that back to original condition or as close as finacially possible.
This pump was originally red so I am thinking that I would like to go back with a red scheme. Is there a resource that shows all the original schemes that were avalible on these model pumps? or were the painted and dressed up to go with the specific station that they were placed with?
Also because I dont need the pump to function I was thinking about removing all the internal pumping mechanics... is that a terrible idea?

J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Welcome, and congrats on your first project. Great pump to get started with. You will find this site to be full of knowledge and lots of people willing to help you out. The most important advice I can give you is to Have Fun!

JamesD #265091 Tue Jul 26 2011 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to oldgas & great pump you have,with a name like KINGSNAKE you can't go wrong with anything,glad to have ya around Texan!

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
DIESEL #265166 Tue Jul 26 2011 07:40 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Another VW freak, I used to own a business here in St. Louis called the "Bugghouse." This was the first all VW parts house outside of Calif. Owned over 1500 VW from 1972 and 1982. Had three split windows lined up in my building. Good luck on your pump and your Super V.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
JamesD #265168 Tue Jul 26 2011 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome Jamie, There is a lot of good advice on here and ideas for your pump restoration. And no it is not a terrible idea to remove the internal pump. Just a lot of dead weight, makes a lot easier to move around in my opinion , how often are you going to open the doors? And also there is a book called Guide to Gas Pump Restoration that shows all the color schemes.

K
OP Offline
K
Well I took the pump all apart tonight taking many pictures along the way... I also ordered in a copy of the restoration guide. Wow!!! That book goes for $100.00 on eBay and amazon?? With a little looking it seems that the book is almost as collectable as the pumps are.
Next step is to take the parts into work (I own an electroless nickel plating shop) and sandblast everything. And I have a few parts like the door locks that need to be straightened out. I'll take more pics as I go and keep you guys up to date on the resto
Does anyone here know what material the trim pieces are made of? I am thinking about nickel plating them but I can't do some metals.
Also I need new rubber for the windows. What is a good source to buy stuff like that?
Thanks for the help and intrest in the pump

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Vic's 66 and Gas Pump Heaven for all your parts, they make and reproduce every thing your working on. For your pump
The trim pieces are made out of stainless steel they even have those too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved