Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#26510 Tue Jan 24 2006 08:58 PM
C
OP Offline
C
So I went and bought three Gilbarco pumps (model 966??) with the hopes and aspirations of making one decent pump from them. Now a couple questions.

How much of the guts does one typically strip out? Is there any market for the "computer"?

Is the paint that I am about to strip off really lead based? Wife is just a little paranoid.

What books/websites etc should I check to make this project easier?

Thanks in advance,
Chuck

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#26511 Tue Jan 24 2006 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey there....

I would strip out all of the guts except the computer. There may be a market for them but I have yet to see one. If the pump is there i would get rid of it, too heavy.

I wouldn't worry about the lead based paint possiblity. Just wear gloves and a mask if you strip or sandblast them and you'll be fine, and do it outside. Paint could be anything.

This website has a great search engine for past posts if you have any questions. I have used it many times. Also any books that you find on the subject you might want to look over.

Always looking for Ithaca Gun and Lucky Sam soda items!!!

#26512 Tue Jan 24 2006 09:16 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Chuck...most everything beneath the bracketry that holds the computer in can go, except for hinging and door-latch mechanisms. There are many informative links on this site and vendor info is also available.

Seth Robbins www.vics66.com

#26513 Tue Jan 24 2006 09:23 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is a little bit on a recent restoration of mine...
http://www.oldgas.com/shoptalk/ubb/Forum4/HTML/001239.html

Its a 96C, which should be similar to yours. As far as websites, your here, and welcome aboard. For books, go to our bookstore here, and get " PCM's Guide to Gas Pump Restoration" Not only will it give you some insite to a restoration, but it also has HUNDREDS of pictures (drawings) of gas pumps painted in numerous companies colors. The descriptions will also tell you what sign, decal, and/or globe, along with what dates that they were used, that should go with you restoration.

Good Luck, welcome aboard, and hang on for the ride....

P.S. post some pics for us. If you need help e-mail them to me, and I'll post some for you...

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
#26514 Tue Jan 24 2006 09:28 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WELCOME Chuck in WI, When you nee parts go to gaspumpheaven.com They are the suppliers to all the vendors. Again Welcome, Larry BS

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
#26515 Tue Jan 24 2006 11:13 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
There is no other way to put it Larry than that you are flat wrong. You may only deal with Andy & Diane, they are great people & great friends of mine, and so I wouldn't blame you. But every vendor whether it be me, Past Gas Florida, Pergl's, Time Passages, Weber's, Scobie, Slama etc. manufacture parts. There is a lot of trade that does go on between vendors, but to say that no one else manufactures parts is false and belittles the efforts of a lot of good people right here on this website. Like I said, I appreciate you promoting your favorite catalog, by doing so you are helping me sell me more parts thru them. They are good folks who I speak with daily and they do manufacture a lot of parts, but fact is fact....they are my biggest account that I sell to and I am theirs. We are partners in a great many projects, so please continue to promote them. Just try and do it in a respectful and informed way, as their are literally hundreds of people across the country manufacturing pump parts.

Seth Robbins, Owner
Vic's Place, LLC www.vicsplace.com

[This message has been edited by Seth Robbins (edited 01-25-2006).]

#26516 Tue Jan 24 2006 11:21 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Oh and Chuck in Wisconsin....I am sorry to act like a turkey on your first thread, this is generally a good website with lots of good info.

#26517 Wed Jan 25 2006 07:28 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
"Past Gas Florida, Pergl's, Time Passages, Weber's, Scobie, Slama "
Pogo, GPH, etc.

Guess they agree a low profile is better than bad carma !
db

#26518 Wed Jan 25 2006 07:34 AM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Why is it bad karma to post on internet forum? Did you read my post earlier in this thread...."a lot of good vendor info on this site", what a jerk I am, huh? I really don't recall what I did to merit this kind of treatment, but if participating on oldgas is bad karma for my business, than I guess that is news to me. Maybe there is a deeper issue that has yet to reveal itself....., but wouldn't it be easier to pick up the phone and say "look, this is what you did to me" rather than consistently call me out on a message board?

Just wondering why it's bad for me to be on here, as a vendor, when there are lots of other people on here promoting their own interest (business) also. On this site, my priority list is as follows: friends first, help second, sell third. I don't see the problem?

[This message has been edited by Seth Robbins (edited 01-25-2006).]

#26519 Wed Jan 25 2006 08:06 AM
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
Larry (st rod)

I hate to disagree with you on this and it is in no way personal but to think that gph manufactures all the parts in there catalogue is just plain wrong. Next time you talk to diane ask her if she manufactures all the parts in the catalogue? Ask her if she maufactures white cloth hoses 13and a half globes. Now dont get me wrong here diane and andy are great prople who have brought some great products to the market but they are not the only ones that make great parts. Mabe seth can tell us of some of the parts that he vics brings us if he so chooses I know of no other source for milk glass bodies ect. I know personaly that it is not easy to make parts. I have a clear vision 700 here that needed skins and no one was making them any more so I had to get a run made. It is not easy to find someone with a 6 foot slip roll that will make a tapered roll for you and laser cut out the holes but i did. And it gives me a new found respect for parts vendors how many pumps do you think would be restored without them.

#26520 Wed Jan 25 2006 08:42 AM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I love all the gas pump parts suppliers. Each does something the others do not. Take a look at their website (listed here at oldgas under links section). Give them a call if you can't find what you need. They are all good people who have a genuine interest in this hobby. God knows its not for the money...

------------------
Scott
Wanted- Powerine and Powerlube items!

Scott
Wanted- Powerine and Powerlube items!
#26521 Wed Jan 25 2006 09:01 AM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Thanks Scott...and you are right about the money part...I used to load trucks at Nabisco and needless to say, it was a MUCH more comfortable situation. I'd be better off, chucking the repo parts biz, and just selling original stuff. A lot less stress, I guarantee!

#26522 Wed Jan 25 2006 10:37 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Just yesterday I called Seth about a random pump part question. He returned my call quickly and was very helpful.

I've NEVER bought anything from Seth in the way of pump parts. But that doesn't stop him from extending a hand in the name of professional courtesy. That speaks volumes for me.

There's no stopping the Cretins from hopping
You've got to keep it beating for the hopping Cretins
#26523 Wed Jan 25 2006 11:29 AM
S
S
This is my first post, though I frequently read the board when my husband is on. I would like to thank the people who have kind words to say about us and our business. I would agree with scootdog that this business is not always about the money. We often times spend nights and weekends up here (with 4 kids 10 years and down) building parts or packing orders, we also spend a lot of time traveling to shows (again all 6 of us) trying to make personal contact with customers. We meet up with a lot of oldgassers out there on the road and it is always nice to put a face with the name. I guess all I'm trying to say is, that if trying to help people on a web forum and occassionaly making a sale is bad karma or wrong, then we are guilty as charged. My first & probably last post, but I'll always look over his shoulder!

Melynn Robbins

#26524 Wed Jan 25 2006 11:54 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Chuck stick with the pump and don't let it get to you. With three pumps you have all the parts you will need. As far as the paint it's hard telling what was used just use a little protection and you will be fine. This is a great hobby and there are a lot of great people on this site that will help you along the way. I must warn you that it is addictive, its hard to stop at just one pump. Richard

#26525 Wed Jan 25 2006 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
just wanted to add my 2cents seth has helped me directly an indirectly he has alot of petro knowledge, where can you get that kind of help with out a bill in the mail? thanks seth for all of your input on this site. cggas

#26526 Wed Jan 25 2006 05:33 PM
Online Cool
The participation of a vendor on an Internet forum is always a balancing act. Some users resent vendor posts that offer items for sale. Most users of this forum appreciate hearing from an experienced person even if he might be a parts vendor. Vendors are a necessary component of a community that needs parts to restore vintage gas pumps.

It has been a long standing policy of Oldgas.com Shop Talk that we encourage vendors to share their expert comments and allow them to plug their store and offer items for sale as long as it is in direct response to a question. The experience of petro vendors is something I would like to see shared more, not less. Vendors may also post "for sale" topics in the appropriate forum just like anyone else.

I wish all vendors had the time and attitude to answer questions on Shop Talk. Most petro parts vendor businesses are a "mom and pop" operation with precious little time for anything other than business.

Seth Robbins and Jack Sim have consistantly offered information and advice over the years on Shop Talk. But they occasionally receive negative comments, possibly because they are trying to sell something.

If anyone has an unresolved dispute with a parts vendor or has concerns about their messages on Shop Talk, please contact me or one of the other moderators. We can often resolve issues in a non-public way, keeping a more positive face on the public activity on Shop Talk.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#26527 Wed Jan 25 2006 06:47 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
I must say, in response to the original question, what you appear to have gotten into is a hornets' nest! I'm having a little trouble believing where this thread went. Don't judge the site by this tangent, it's still full of great people. I guess like any family, we have our spats. After this though, I'm sure what you'll discover is that you've gotten into something that you just can't stop yourself over! Where's that next pump,that undiscovered treasure, what shall I do this pump in? Most of all, welcome to the sight and have fun!

#26528 Wed Jan 25 2006 07:38 PM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
WELL... lets look at the big picture here.. last time i looked i was still living in America where i can still voice my opinion.. sure.. i can be as controversal as the next guy.. i try to play within the guidelines of this site altho sometimes... as some of you... find it hard. i don't mean my posts to always be a damn debate but.. well... sometimes it just goes that way. GOOD.. maybe it just goes to show that i am into this hobby.... o.k.. blah, blah, blah... true... have fun with this junk. meet the people... have fun... form your own opinions... when the fun goes out.... collect stamps... no disrespect to the stamp collectors... lol...

kmann

#26529 Wed Jan 25 2006 07:38 PM
Online Cool
Thanks for the reply, Dave. Now back to Chuck, if we haven't scared him off yet...

Welcome to Oldgas.com Shop Talk.

If you remove the paint with sanding or sandblasting, you should be concerned about lead in the dust. Lead was commonly used on old paint. Use the recommended respirator for yourself. Consider where the dust may settle if it may go where a child could touch the dust and ingest it. Chemical stripping adds another hazardous concern. I recommend all these operations should be performed away from your residence. Even an attached garage could allow some hazardous stuff to get into the living areas.

You are on the right Web site to get questions answered, even if there may be a little extra friction between some people from time to time. We would like to see your pumps. Send me a picture attached to email and I'll help you post it here. shoptalk@oldgas.com

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#26530 Wed Jan 25 2006 08:29 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Chuck, Welcome to the best gas/oil site on the web! You'll find that collecting this stuff is, first of all, habit forming, but, for me, is a fun hobby and a stress reliever. I know you'll find this site fun, and foremost, a valuable source of knowlege and advice. Many of the members have had a lot of experience fixing or getting around a problem that might seems impossible to solve at the time. Don't be afraid to ask. The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask. I might add that this bunch of guys/gals are the most compassionate group with the biggest hearts that you'll find anywhere just short of a family reunion. They are very willing to lend a hand or offer kind words to anyone with a real need.
I always test out the electric motors (which you won't need in your restored pump) that I remove from the pump with a pig tail wired to them and plug into a power strip before discarding/recycling. I hate to throw anything away that I might need someday. These make good buffing/polishing tools for the trim etc.
Don't forget to take lots of pics during the disassembly to help later as you try too put the pump back together. We all really enjoy before and after pics. It's always an inspiration and gives the rest of us ideas for our next restoration.
Good Luck and have fun with your pumps.
Rod

------------------

#26531 Wed Jan 25 2006 10:30 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm not a pump restorer but I can appreciate the workmanship that goes into a restoration. You guys that restore pumps are lucky to have so many vendors. I hear posative things about most of them too. Our online community is lucky to have knowledgable people sharing information.
I participate on a racing web site and their seems to be a lot of bickering there too. Its just mid-winter blues. So how about everyone step back and take a deep breath and relax. Try to be tactful when you post and when someone isn't try to have thick enough skin that it doesn't get to you.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#26532 Thu Jan 26 2006 09:57 AM
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Kinda surprised no one has mentioned the ELECTROLYSIS to remove the paint..Cost is next to nothing and you can re-use it over & over again..

Is there any problem like chemical strippers... NO. NO.

I have a very good blasting cabinet which will take any & all skin sizes..I WILL NEVER USE THE CABINET AGAIN TO REMOVE PAINT.
THERE IS NOTHING AS GOOD AS ELECTROLYSIS FOR THIS TYPE OF WORK..

How many here have tried it, and what were the results ??????

------------------
Regards ....
Jerry J .....

Regards ....
Jerry J .....
#26533 Thu Jan 26 2006 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I thought electrolysis only worked on rust. Not to remove paint?

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
#26534 Thu Jan 26 2006 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
#26535 Thu Jan 26 2006 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey Chuck, 3 Gilbarco pumps (model 966??) - that ROCKS. I never care how bad a pump is - it can ALWAYS be turned around. DO not toss away any parts that WORK if you plan on buying more pumps from farmers. I always keep the guts for the pumps that I know work - if I am not sure I will toss it. Farmers will always buy a working pump or trade you out for there own pump you want for even. I have built bases for the working internals and fired them up to prove they work - GREAT to trade old parts you would toss for a non-working wayne 60.

AS FOR SETH - you still rock.... I knew you had a wife, but never knew you had a better half! lol

ANYWAY - I would buy from whoever you want Chuck. I buy from them all. I like Seths http://www.vicsplace.com/ because my parts come to me in about 2 days, nicely packed and always have had the order correct. ALL of the other venders have sent me things broken or not the correct part. IN MY OPINION vicsplace.com has the best online order system.

In the last 10 years webers has gone kinda down hill. I was very impressed with webers shop when I first went there in 1996 - but when I went back in 2004 I was not greated well, they were kinda grumpy, and the shop was not clean or orgenized. They were too busy with there internet orders to even bother looking at me, and I had 3 grand in my pocket. I drove on back to Kansas and saw Vic's bilboard on I-35. I pulled into Vic's place and it was VERY CLEAN - nicely orgenized, the people were FAST to great me, and help me find what I was looking for. I left there with all of the parts and info I needed on the FRY I just bought - and spent about 400 bucks on that order. Since then I have spent about 1600.00 on things from his shop and bought about 75.00 worth of things from webers - where I used to buy all my things.

Seth the owner has always gone WAY out of his way for me, even though I like to kick him on the board from time to time.... It's FUN... Gota keep the fire burning on the bridge with just enough water to keep it from burning down, and just enough fire to keep it nice and warm.

Later,

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

#26536 Thu Jan 26 2006 05:22 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Hey Travis...you still coming to the sale? We are again going to do our 'garage sale' midnight madness at the shop. Cash & carry discount on parts for 2 hours only + we bring out all kinds of "**** " that was damaged in shipment or discontinued and throw it in the middle of the floor. Lots of $5, $10, $15 items....plus free grub!

How many Mae Wests are you bringing me? As much stuff as you've ordered over the years, it's a miracle we've not fouled up in some way....I do STILL have humans packing the orders!!

[This message has been edited by Seth Robbins (edited 01-26-2006).]

#26537 Thu Jan 26 2006 05:29 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
I have used electrolysis on three pumps and am sold on this method. All that I can say is that it worked GR8 for me and plan to use it again once the weather warms so I can keep my water in the 65 degree or higher range. It turned, what I'm sure was leaded paint, to scum that rinsed off with the garden hose after only soaking a few hours. I was amazed at its efficiency and lack of work on my part. It also removed what I thought was light surface rust.
I might have liked my sandblaster better if I would have bought a bigger compressor. I spend a lot of time waiting for mine to pressure up and sweeping up the sand to run it through a screen to clean it before reusing. I think it took me 6 hours to do my A-38.
Rod

------------------

[This message has been edited by danceswithpumps (edited 01-26-2006).]

#26538 Thu Jan 26 2006 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
"damaged in shipment or discontinued"

OH DOGGIE BISKETS!!! THAT IS MY KIND OF STUFF! !!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!! !!!

And, yes the plan is still on for coming down and I am trying to get you a west this week...

TODAY I was working deals out with some farmers on 2 Fry Wests, and 2 G&B T-177's, and 1 more FRY 73, 2 Wayne 60s', 5 tall tok t-39's, and 1 G&B T-176. Lots of my wifes hard earned money being tossed around in faces this week... Oh and I forgot about this really coooooooooooool Hayes big Visy that is still being used.

I am glad this topic came back up about the electrolllllllllsyssyysys how ever that is spelled? I was just thinking about that again today while I was driving. I think I am going to give that a try. Need to save some $$$ on the sand blasting = that is getting kinda hefty this time of year.

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

#26539 Thu Jan 26 2006 06:07 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Maybe we can get a monitor to bring up an old post by PollyMan from 11-18-04 on electrolysis. I just found it on a google search, it is an unbelievable post on electrolysis. I'm going to try it, the cost of starting is less than having one pump sandblasted.

Brian

Always looking for SKELLY items.
#26540 Thu Jan 26 2006 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
scroll up a few posts... Thunder posted the link.

Wes

#26541 Thu Jan 26 2006 06:18 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Wow!
Does this electrolysis method work on cast parts like 36B tops and bezel frames?
What do you do to dispose of the waste material?

#26542 Thu Jan 26 2006 06:22 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
You do like any red blooded American does, you dump it down the drain.

Just kiddin. What do you do with it.

Brian

#26543 Thu Jan 26 2006 06:42 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
One web site says you can dump the solution anywhere, it's harmless. Skim the paint out and put it in the garbage and dump the rest anywhere (down the drain). I was kidding about the drain before, but I guess it's OK if you don't use stainless steel.

Brian

[This message has been edited by BLange (edited 01-26-2006).]

#26544 Thu Jan 26 2006 07:02 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IF YOU DON'T NEED THE 36B TOP, SEND IT TO ME.
PUTTING IT IN YOUR DIP TANK, YOU'LL THINK I STOLE IT !!

DO NOT PUT POTMETAL or ALUM. ALLOYS IN DIP TANK.
db

#26545 Thu Jan 26 2006 09:08 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IF YOU USE STAINLESS STEEL - you have TOXIC WASTE - this process releases the cancer causing CROMIANAM 45. Remember the Eric Brockedvich movie? You have to let the solution evaroparate and bag the dust for toxic disposal wearing a cemical mask.

If it was me, I would just dump it...

YES my spelling sucks - but u got the point.

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

#26546 Thu Jan 26 2006 09:21 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
I left the stainless trim and pot metal ad glass bezels on the doors of my BOWSER 565 for about 4 hours with electrolysis. It took paint off but no harm done to trim. Acid gets things to smokin' real quick and will eat em up as Dick says.
I've had good/fast results with getting the paint off cast bases too which is usually harder to do than sheet metal.
Rod

------------------

#26547 Fri Jan 27 2006 12:30 PM
B
B
Chuck,
I live in De Pere also, give me a call, maybe we can get together on some pumps.

Bob 336-1797

#26548 Sun Jan 29 2006 07:49 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Speaking of the lead issue...isnt lead exposure like asbestos exposure?...takes years and years of continous exposure to cause harm?

Bobby

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved