Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
I wasn't able to go to the show. I'm fairly new to all of this. Everyone has made good points. Something I didn't see anyone say and I could most certainly be wrong. Are the prices high and not a lot to choose from be because "WE" as collectors have bought just about everything that there is? Only so much of this stuff was made and only so much has survived. A few weeks ago I met a guy that told me he use to haul scrap metal for a living and that back in day the he personaly cut up 500 banjo poles to hall off for scrap. He told me that knowing what he knows now he wished he had kept them. IDK JM2C...

Last edited by Miken; Sun Aug 07 2011 02:46 PM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
I had good luck at the show this year. I bought three nice signs that I could have never found in the antique malls.

I've been going almost every year for the past 15 or so. Some of my best signs and clocks came from Iowa Gas.

I think we all get a little spoiled. Where else can you go and see thousands of NICE, OLD, signs, maps, clocks, neons, pumps, etc.... in one long weekend? Part of the problem with a show like this - we have sooooooo many choices. Too many NICE items to pass on trying to decide if you are going to spend your $'s on a killer pump, a light up clock, or a dealership neon sign.

It's all fun.

If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Looking for nice, old soda signs, light-ups, and clocks. Mostly Pepsi and Mt. Dew.
K
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
K
One of the main changes I have seen due to ebay in the last 10 years or so is there is no pent up demand to buy things. Pre-ebay you only had a few chances a year to shop the big shows with the large selection of items. This is the case in all collectible areas. My wife and I used to save her paychecks to to go shop the Indy ad show in the late 1980's. You can shop from home everyday to add to your collection. I have never been to Iowa because I could not be there early in the week. As far as prices go I have always felt that the only way to have an inventory of great items is to have your prices a little higher. If you price your things under top retail they sell quickly. Faster than you can find new items to replace the sold inventory. I always go to shop trying to sell thing not have museum.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I plan all year to attend IG even through work has been very slow or non-existent this year [no job last 2 months before IG]. I enjoy picking & stopping at Friends on the way to/from & at the show. Heat & Humidity has hurt the older collectors at IG alot. I'd bet attendance would increase 4X if they would move to a cooler month.
[Move Peotone to July/August & watch the attendance drop to 1/4th.]

How many of the above posters have Never been to any Gas Show?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Uh oh!, he's back.....

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
P
P
Seems to me we have in Oldgas an excellent way to provide feedback to the Iowa Gas promoters. A couple of properly constructed surveys could give them valuable information to help improve both vender and buyer turnout for future shows. They certainly have a vested financial interest in getting more vendors and buyers to the show and auction, and if "tweeking" the schedule could do that, I'd think they'd be interested in knowing. Moving to another time of year may not be possible, but some other changes might be doable. Of course, someone smarter than me would need to set up the surveys. JMO

Richard

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Peotone and Columbus are the two shows which I attend. It was difficult to get the time off to go to Columbus, and it's probably impossible to get time off for both given many peoples' job constraints.
I imagine that the rent is cheaper during the week, right? Honestly, if the timing for all was handled the way Peotone is, we'd get to more gas shows.
Given the economy and the uncertainty many have about their jobs, something F-S-S would be a lot more attractive.

Veteran Member
OP Online Content
Veteran Member
^^^

I think timing is an issue. Unless you make some sort of a vacation out of it..most people are going to have difficulty making a show that starts on Tuesday.

Although...the Columbus show starts late in the week and I've seen the vendor count drop significantly the last three years running.

How about the Hershey and Carlisle shows...are they staying as strong as Peotone?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hershey and Carlisle has also dropped dramatically in vendors and sales, Sunday only shows have also dropped dramatically, It is more the fact that Gas Shows and Auto swap meets are everywhere, anytime. There are just too many that it is not such a big deal anymore waiting for just one. It is not just the economy.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Great Idea Richard - Jim or one of the moderators can you please set up a survey for Old Gas members that could be forwarded to show promoters? Be sure to give several options on schedule layout so all the bases are covered. I think that could be a useful tool!
thanks

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Might as well set up a survey to send to Hershey and Carlisle promoters to change their setup/sell dates to Saturday & Sunday ONLY. Bet they will get a good laugh out of it!
IG promoters need a day or 2 to rest before going back to work on Monday.

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Wed Aug 10 2011 11:43 PM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved