Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
A little harsh there KZ1000....

I think Jack was just trying to make a point the the "deals" in reality happen prior to the show, regardless of when the show starts.

Maybe he wasn't exactly on target of the main thread of the discussion (when can most people be available to get to the show)but he certainly added a dose of reality for newbies like me. Pre-sales can't be stopped by the show organizer and are human nature.

I know there is a lot of "history" between veterans on this site, but hostile postings are as much a turn off to the younger generations who discover this site as high globe prices or low vendor turn out at a show. Hell even a crusty 52 year old SOB like myself would rather not see artillery practice on the web after a long day in the mines.

Peace brother,

Lee

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I agree witn Jack. As for the show dates I like the Thurs, Friday vending with the Auction Saturday but will support the show either way. The promotors must be doing something right to make it the biggest gas show that has lasted for 20+ years.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't think you have to be there as early jack says at all. I will agree that it is somewhat a competition at times don't let 20 bucks get in your way at a show as the item will be gone as soon as you put it down if it's priced right. I have said this before many times things are presold way before the show and people are just picking it up. I still think you can find things on the last day and get some good deals as well. I encourage everyone to attend shows they only get better by you attending as Maurice said. When you go find out what works for you. Although I don't agree with Jack on being a day or two early that's what works for him. The trick is figuring out what works for you to make it the best show possible. Iowa gas is the best show out there and you will always find something to take home.

Last edited by s932; Thu Aug 11 2011 08:22 PM.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
My remarks were a little misinterped, or possible you missed the point I was trying to make.
Guys were saying thay could only get off for one or two days and couldn't make the whole show, my advice was that if possible those two days should be at the beginning or the pre-beginning of the show, then go home if you have to. Again I will repeat, you won't find any bargins on Saturday afternoon. I never told anyone not to come to any show.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
K
K
KZ is right, if people adhered to rules no one would miss out on anything. The current setup of the shows eliminates those working adults like me who can't devote 7 days to an event. I for one was completely turned off by the Iowa Gas structure to the point I cancelled my day off from work when I found out I would need 3 days off to get stuff.

This whole thing is making me reconsider my entrance into this hobby and consider moving towards soda memorabilia or another hobby altogether.

You retirees may enjoy having these 4-5 day events that you can go to, spend time with friends and the like but for those of us under 60 who have to be at work on Monday morning no matter what would greatly prefer a Friday/Sat event with drive home time on Sunday. I don't get why an old timer would care what day it ends, they have nowhere to be anyway.

The ONLY reason the early selling goes on is because you all do it. If you didn't do it, arrived on the right days and got setup you would have more buyers and more buyers equals more money and more items sold.

In conclusion, I'm probably going to finish restoring my pump, monitor these threads and make a decision on whether or not to consider with this hobby.

FYI, for anyone who cares, I'm a 34 married technology executive in the midwest. I would never drive 2000 miles for this hobby (at this point in my life). I want to acquire these items because I love classic americana and want to keep nice things around for future generations.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I was 43 when I 1st went to IG. I left on a Monday & was home on Saturday, 4,000 miles driving by myself. Sure I could have flown, but they don't allow pumps in overhead storage!

IF it rained or was windy for 2-3 days when show is scheduled, would have been a waste of time/money for outside vendors & they would think twice about the next year.

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Auction Thursday
Show Friday-Saturday

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Kooky,

You are close enough to get to IG on Tuesday night and be there when the show starts on Wednesday morning. You won't miss much as most vendors do not set up until Wednesday morning, the ballromm does not open until 8:00 AM on Wednesday and many room vendors are not open until Wednesday. You can then be home later that night for work on Thursday. There is so much stuff to see inside and out at IG that you can't be the first to see most of it anyway. I would not decide if I am going to be in tis hobby only based on if you can go to one show. Peotone is even closer for you if IG does not work.

I am 41 and take the whole week off for IG simply because I love the show and this hobby.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
globes and signs, great idea, auction on thursday, show fri and Sat

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
It's not necessary to attend any shows connected with this hobby. I've been doing this "hobby" for about 25 years and there is enough stuff around the area, on here at Oldgas, and the www to keep me happy. I have a gas station that's full of stuff, two garages and a barn all have stuff. Have never been to a show and see no need to go yet. No one will ever get the best collection, always someone somewhere that has more, better, bigger wallet, etc. I just collect what satisfies me and the biggest, best is great but who cares??? not me.

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
globes and signs, yes great idea.auction on thursday show fri. sat.

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
This was my first year and I would agree that a Thurs., Fri., Saturday would work better for alot of folks. But now that I know the rules of the road and that I should arrive on a Tuesday night I will adjust my schedule accordingly. If it works out I'll go. If it doesn't, it doesn't. Not a big deal either way. I do see how a big part of the event are the relationships people have. It's like a big guys weekend. And when it's about the relationships it doesn't matter what days the event is, you're gonna find a way to go and hang out with friends because it is great feeling to see friends you haven't seen in a while. So, my vote is for a Thursday, Friday & Saturday. If nothing changes, no problem with me I'll deal with it accordingly.

Last edited by DasFast1; Sat Aug 13 2011 02:10 PM.

Life is like a video game. The more you play, the better you get!!!
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Originally Posted By: DasFast1
I do see how a big part of the event are the relationships people have. It's like a big guys weekend. And when it's about the relationships it doesn't matter what days the event is, you're gonna find a way to go and hang out with friends because it is great feeling to see friends you haven't seen in a while.

I've stayed out of these discussions so far but many of you know I can't stay out of them forever. At one of my previous jobs they used to call me "2 Cent" because I always gave my 2 cents! Is anyone surprised by that??
Das, your right about the friend thing. A lot of the guys know each other and it's a great time to meet up again. But I go every year with my friend from NE. He's a family guy who works hard but only has a limited amount of vacation. I have a limited amount too but IG IS my vacation! But if your like him and only get 10 days of vacation a year it's hard to tell your wife and kids your going to blow 3 days of it in a parking lot in Des Moines!
I just think it would be much easier for more guys (sellers and buyers)if it was closer to the weekend and shorter. I make almost ALL (80%) of my IG purchases and sales between Tuesday afternoon and Wed. afternoon. 24 Hours!
My opinion (2 cents) is that if the show was a weekend event (Sat and Sun) then many more guys would find it easier to go. Because they might only need to use one day of vacation instead of three. If I had a family I don't know that I would want to use up my vacation that way either! How many guys a day away from IG don't go for the same reason my friend almost hasn't the last couple years? It might be more than you think! You need to take Tues off to get to a show that starts Wed. and by Wed night you've spent your money and you have to take Thurs off to get home! And if there is something in the auction you want it's cheaper to bid on it online and have it shipped than miss a fourth day of work...and maybe end up sleeping on the couch!!
I think Iowa Gas IS the greatest show on earth but how much better might it be if it was on the weekend!
How many auto swaps and flea markets do you see happen in the middle of the week? Maybe some but not nearly as many as on the weekend!
Is Ron an oldgas user? I've never asked him but I am curious to know why they do plan it in the middle of the week. Lot's of guys I know are always asking the same thing.
chris

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
So it gets moved to Fri,Sat & Sun, & all the church guys [sellers & buyers]leave on Sat morning to be home for church on Sun!
No matter what days it's held, it'll never please the ones that don't/won't go now.

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
So it gets moved to Fri,Sat & Sun, & all the church guys [sellers & buyers]leave on Sat morning to be home for church on Sun!
No matter what days it's held, it'll never please the ones that don't/won't go now.

But also a major part of my point is it seems too long! What's wrong with 2 days? Swap one day, early swap and auction the next! And at least SOME of it on the weekend! I haven't stayed for the auction since probably 6 or 7 years ago. But I might stay if I hadn't already spent 3 days there and I need to get home!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved