Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2680 Wed Sep 18 2002 09:07 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
How do you guys wire your globes for display?? Do you use lamp cord wire with nite-lite bulbs?? Standard fixtures with say 15W bulbs?? I try to see what other hobbyists are doing in 'Braglines' in the CTO! magazine or Petro. Collectibles Monthly and sometimes it is hard to tell. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.....

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#2681 Wed Sep 18 2002 10:18 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
most of the wireing in the old pumps is still good , if i can't git the switch to work i cut the elerical tubeing to git to the wire in order to install a toggle switch, a lot of times i will take the light sockets apart clean them put them back togather , put 15 watt bulbs in and plug it in , i only had trouble with one pump to where i had to replace a couple of sockets , the tokhiem 36-b in the show case i put male and female plugs at the top of the pump and into the pipe in order to plug it in . clean it up and try , thats all you can do , because a lot of eletrical companys didn't want anyfires from there product, that they put warm tar down in the pipes and buddy you can't git it out , it has crystalized over the years , good luck, it just takes time and patience, hope i helped a little .

#2682 Thu Sep 19 2002 12:30 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I used two layers of 1X12 for my shelves. I plowed a groove for the wire with a router then drilled holes in the top layer where the globes were to go. I used a high quality 12 gauge drop cord wire. I ran the wire through the groove, up through the first hole, into a 1/2" deep round electrical box, back down, and over to the next globe, leaving a small loop of wire at each box. I used simple porcelain light fixtures like you might see in a closet (Capco globes don't fit over all of these fixtures, so be sure to check that first). I also used globe rings. I wired each row of globes to a switch. I started off with 25-40 watt bulbs, but they were way too bright. I mostly use 7 watt bulbs and a 15 watt for some globes.
I've seen guys use cheap lamp cord. Resist the urge to do that! If you're lighting up a bunch of globes the wire won't be heavy enough. That leads to FIRE!
I hope this helps.
Bob

Edit to insert image as requested

[This message has been edited by Oldgas (edited 09-19-2002).]

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#2683 Thu Sep 19 2002 01:40 PM
I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
15W bulbs in globes? Seriously? Is that what most people use in them? I'd think that would be awfully dim.

------------------
Jim Hinds
Columbus, Indiana

Jim Hinds
Columbus, Indiana
#2684 Thu Sep 19 2002 02:20 PM
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
I use a 25w appliance bulb. Wired the shelf through a single switch so they all come on at once. On the metal band globes I raised the light socket on a threaded stim so the bulb was a couple of inches higher into the body.

Had twelve globes on this particular shelf for about 15 years now. No overheating or problems of any kind.

#2685 Thu Sep 19 2002 03:58 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I wired mine with romex and steel boxes and flood light housings. If you look under showcase and see Rex Benson's stuff you will notice he has all 150 globes lit. I asked him how he wired his and it is really easy. You can buy the heavy gauge extension cord wire and they sell a deal that clips on the wire and has a plug in it. Then you buy the plug with the light bulb end on it and you are done. The cool thing is there is no wire nuts or cutting any wires. You can remove one in minutes and Lowes sell these things. Here is a picture I hope.

Light socket

Rec. Plug

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
#2686 Thu Sep 19 2002 05:00 PM
Online Cool
Thanks, Guys!

This is the kind of discussion that I envisioned when I started Shop Talk. Collectors helping collectors. With lots of unregistered users looking in and learning something. Keep it up!

------------------
Oldgas
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#2687 Thu Sep 19 2002 06:22 PM
I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
I guess my question should have been what wattage bulb most people have found to have been "original equipment" for pump globes. I was thinking that the last few which we still had in service, by the time I came along, had 60W bulbs in them. No?

------------------
Jim Hinds
Columbus, Indiana

Jim Hinds
Columbus, Indiana
#2688 Thu Sep 19 2002 08:52 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jim,
I have no idea what wattage bulbs were used as original equipment in pumps. The higher wattage bulbs give off more heat which can damage the paint on the lenses. Most globe collectors that I've talked to use 7W to 25W bulbs.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

#2689 Thu Sep 19 2002 09:55 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
sorry about the mix up on my first post , on this subject, to answer the question on the size of bulbs they used , in the beginning they had no way of resrickting the wattage ,before they made the globe glass protrude it was flat and it burned the paint in them , the glass in my 16" seaside globe was all burnt , i had to redo it , so some companys went to a three sided globe , but the paint in the one i have was burnt also but not as bad , but most of the pumps iv'e taken apart used 60watts , but if you do just put your hand on it after about 15 min.it will burn you good , 15 watts is the best for me if your going to use them alot .and its safer on the eletrical cords ,

#2690 Fri Sep 20 2002 08:56 AM
M
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
Much thanks to all of you for the input!! Lastgas...what a neat display!!! This helps tremendously. The last visible pump I bought had a real old Sylvania 60W bulb, but that HAS to be too hot and bright. I agree with Dwaine..if it is too hot to keep your hand on it is too hot for the globe. Not only will it hurt the paint but I would be concerned about it cracking the glass too. I suppose a guy could wire in a rheostat to tune down the wattage too.....Again, thanks a lot to all of you!!

#2691 Fri Sep 20 2002 12:44 PM
B
B
I also was worried about heat damage to my globe on a tall Tokeim 39 pump. I found a cool watt bulb at the local Sam's Club. It is a 60 watt bulb that puts off very little heat. It is sold in packs of 5 and come with either a 5 or 7 year warranty i forget which. It is a funky looking bulb that has a small tubing that spirals to the top and appears similar to small neon tubing. After burning it for over an hour you can grab the bulb with your hand and not get burned. I tried several different bulbs before settling on this brand. If anyone needs more info I still have the package as i am saving it for warranty info.

Brian S.
#2692 Fri Sep 20 2002 05:27 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
On a final note from the fat boy out west , to lastgas15 nice bunch of globes Bob, you should be proud,

#2693 Fri Sep 20 2002 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks for the compliments.
Bob

#2694 Fri Sep 20 2002 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Orig. bulbs in the pumps and globes were 60 watt. BUT they were outside on the Islands and in the cool of the evening/nite, AND used as an advertising item. Plus the globes were a cheap item THEN.
Inside the house or garage, if you lite up more than one globe/pump, it would be too bright, AND they are not a cheap item anymore.
I use 7 1/2 watt in the 15in. and 15 watt in the White Eagles. With 40 globes lit, I like it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved