Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
H
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
H
Couple of months ago, I paid a visit to a toy dealer. While going through the toys he had for sale, I noticed a photo of a gas station laying around a toy cabinet.
I asked Dave if he knew where the gas station was. Dave told me: "yes, it is my girlfriend's uncle in the picture & the station was on Washington street in San Leandro, CA".

Selling 3 brands in one station? Was this a normal practice then?

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
And Shell, Veedol, and Quaker State oil. Neat picture.

Ryan

WANTED: Lonzo Oil, Pacer, Super Par Items
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
Yes back in the days during and after the big depression most of the fuel companies competed hard to show their names.It was very common to see more than one brand at location. Sure do wish they would compete today with pricing wars again.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
the proprietor must of lived next door as all the curb signs are in front of his house..

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
"Independent dealers" (those that actually owned their own stations) could sell what ever brand(s) they wished. There are lots of old photos out there showing multiple brands on pumps in the same station.

Thanks to advertising, customers began asking for particular brands. Thus began customer loyality. Pretty soon, the oil companies realized that they had the power to set the rules. So, if your customers were asking for Texaco, and you wanted to sell Texaco, you signed a contract stating that you would "only" sell Texaco. or Shell etc.

This is why when you get an old pump, and start stripping it, you'll usually notice several different decals.

Of course, another reason for the multiple decals would have been when the station owner changed out his pumps, for new ones, the old ones would be sold to who ever needed a working pump.

A different station, for farm use, or even a company that had a fleet of service trucks.

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
H
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
H
Thanks to azjockey & Don for the education. Very interesting history behind the 3-brand stations. It must have been a big challenge to be able to manage those stations: 3 separate tanks!

BTW, I tied to purchase the photo but Dave told me that his girlfriend would NEVER sell it. I do respect her decision because of the family history behind it. I asked Dave if I could get a professional scan of it . Dave agreed. So, I had it scanned and the image is good enough for a maximum print size :11x17. I would prefer mine on CANVAS. The cost for CANVAS is higher than normal PHOTO PAPER since stretching is required before it is framed.

I told Dave I would provide additional prints should he decides to sell them on-line. Dave will offer the prints on PHOTO PAPER only. Price has not been set!

Last edited by henlovestoys; Sun Aug 14 2011 09:12 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice photo, Henrik. Thanks for sharing it.

You'd also find these "multi" brand stations in rural areas and in "pass through" towns in the 20s and 30s, that highways went through.

I am told, this station in Holy City, CA, sold 10 different brands. On the canopy it says, "NAME YOUR GAS OR OIL - WE HAVE IT." Like Don said, "Thanks to advertising, customers began asking for particular brands."

ca_holycitya.jpg

Sell me your Gilmore Oil Co. stuff...
H
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
H
Gilmore,

Thanks for the great photo & the explanation.
Wow, 10 BRANDS! cool

My choice of gas then: Gilmore! This way, I could get a good look at the RED LION LENSE while pumping gas!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
the storage tanks underground must of been small..

RANDY
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Seems like a lot of the tanks back in the day were 550's or 300's.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast

This multi brand station lasted into the 1970's by the looks of the cars.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
COOL HISTORY ABOUT THE STATIONS AND HOW THEY OPERATED,,TXS FOR SHARING ALAN

Big Al`s Garage
Always looking for::
Veedol-Tydol-Tidex-Cycol-Tycol.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved