Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
Hey guys I know I know the crime I'm thinking of commiting. I never do anything to the signage I get but I have a sign thats hanging in my garage that I don't want to part with. But the quality isnt the greatest. For my eyes only I'd like to try and touch it up some. Now I've seen some amazing artwork from Doc and a few others. I would just like to know the process you guys used to fill in the chip and what paint did you use? I've seen a Porc-a-Fix product that you can fix porcelain chips with used for sinks and whatnot that comes in many colors. Anyone ever try this stuff? I'd like it to look decent and smooth when finished. Not just "touched up" Thanks a bunch..

Mainly focused on Oilzum, Jenney, Harris Oil items & original paint gas pumps.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It is the knowledge and artistic talent that will give you a good job, The material itself is irrelevant if you don't have the "touch"

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Amen KZ! I've seen a skilled painter with cheap house paint make a sign that you could hardy read look like a Million $$$$$$ and i have also seen $80.00 a pint paint applied to look like cheap house paint!

Rare pumps, Chevrolet items, Goldon Tip Gasoline, Marathon (running man)
Cell # 1-502-396-3435 email lowright@aol.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
NO paint/Porcelain Filler will ever be as hard as the Original PORCELAIN.
Most restorers are using a Bondo/Epoxy type filler & doing it in layers to give the depth of layered FRIT that was screened onto sign prior to firing in the oven. SOME are re-painting the entire sign because of Fading in different areas.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I tried the "touch-up" paint from the local appliance store for porcelain stoves, it worked no better than a little bottle of Testors model paint. Brady

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved