Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#26951 Fri Jun 17 2005 08:28 PM
S
stumped Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I recently acquired a Pure Sign. It has the tapered base still intact with it and the round top sign says "Be Sure With Pure" and it says Pure in the middle. It has the frame around the sign and that is still intact also with some paint left on it. There are some rust spots on the sign, but not too bad (I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to clean it up)and no holes in it. This is a HUGE sign. The diameter of the actual sign is about 72" and the length of the base and the sign together is just over 18 feet. Any idea how much this is worth?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#26952 Sat Jun 18 2005 05:15 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I sold the same sign last year for $400. These large signs with pole attract a limited amount of collectors because of their size, transporting it and setting it up. So I would estimate $400-$600.

As for cleaning, I use something like 409 or even Gunk with a scrub pad. Then a good coat of wax. There are numerous references on this site about cleaning signs. Just do a "search" for the topic. Good luck.

#26953 Sat Jun 18 2005 06:55 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Be careful with degreasers. I have found if something is really bad, a good soaking with WD-40 and a srub with OOOO steel wool (4 ought very) fine works really well. Porecelain is tough and the fine steel wool won't scratch but has enough bite to get rid of stains. I have also had luck with Bartenders Friend brand of cleaner. It's like Comet but very fine. Then a nice buff and polish with a professional buffer for the final step.

I have also had luck on really tough stuff by wet sanding with 2000-2500 grit sandpaper, then a polish and buff with a profesional buffer, just like you would do on a car. This does require a bit of finesse to get it right. Practice on someting first. I practiced on my mower before I got comfortable with it.

Sounds like a great sign. Would really like to see some pictures. Good luck.

Always looking for Ithaca Gun and Lucky Sam soda items!!!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved