Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
gbates Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I just picked up my first gas pump, a National 64. It is light green and has the globe top, but no globe currently and all the inners are there (man is it heavy!) Missing door glass and ad glass...
Just a few questions
1. I need parts and cant find this pump info anywhere, are the parts the same as the National A62?
2. What is the difference between the A62 and 64 pumps?
3. My face plates have some wear, but the replacement ones out there are for the A62 and are different (mine has a red box around the Red National logo and the replacements dont)and appear different in size?
4. It appears to be porcelin coated, but there are serveral areas of wear. Is there a good way to repair or is the best option to media blast and paint?
5. Is the casing a Tokheim 39? It has a small accessory Tokheim ID tag below the National one. If so, is this the direction to take to find my door replacement glass and seals?
6. And of course value is always an issue when restoring an item (well for most of us smile ) Anyone know the value of a restored one of these?

Sorry for all the questions, but excited to get my new project started....always wanted one of these things and finally got me one!
Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Tok. & Nat. merged to Tok. Pump & Tank Co. so you can go either way w/ pump.
Post a pic BEFORE sandblasting, let US help ya to decide.

G
gbates Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Hope the pic worked

pump1.jpg pump2.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
GREAT JOB.
Glad ya didn't get FRUSTRATED w/ posting pictures, some here gave up trying Years ago.

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Tue Aug 23 2011 10:32 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would replace the ad glass and let it alone, nice looking pump! Brady

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is mine restored to Shell. National 64 is basically a Tokheim 39 except for the top and faceplates. Tokheim faceplates will work as they are the same except for the wording. Ones with National on them are hard to find.

Keith

national64.jpg

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I wouldn't blast and repaint this. You have a great "original" porcelain pump. Just clean it a bit, and replace the ad glass. See Mike Slama in Portland, he's close and good for glass.
Nice pump,
Don

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
pump doesn't look to bad, I would remove pump & motor to make pump a little more manageable to move around get a set of pump signs with ad glasses to match & you got a
nice orig. pump..

RANDY
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
I agree . If it is green porcelain, lighten the load, a little cleaning, replace the ad glass and sign and you've got yourself a nice original.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IF you want, have a paint shop to match the Green Porcelain [best they can] & fill w/ some Bondo then touch-in the chips.
Because the doors are NOT drilled for signs, use deals or Vinyl signs [to make like signs have decals/vinyl added to magnetic material, then grind screws off of heads & Hot Glue heads to magnet. Glue squishing out under heads will look like small washers].

G
gbates Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thanks for all the advice...Actually the doors have sign holes drilled. Both have 2 larger holes, and one has 4 more smaller ones..looks like for some type of signage. There are also 4 holes on the side for another sign, Leaded gas signs?

Well then my new friends...keeping it original, what would be PERIOD DECALS AND GLOBE that you woud recommend? Any suggestions???

It presently has 1/2 ad glass that is the "100+ octane" ad, but I dont thing the mustard yellow ad looks too nicely with the green...

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
How about Flying A for signage?

Looking for Tydol-Veedol-Flying A items, especially globes.
Nice "survivor" gas pump. It is your pump, but I'd prefer polishing the porcelain and maybe touching up the chips if it were mine. Take off a part, polish it up and take it to an auto paint store. They should be able to mix an acceptable match for touch up.

Here's a pic of a National A62 with its Flying A porcelain color, ad glass and sign.

national-A62-flyingA.jpg
National porcelain A-62 Flying A

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Pump pictured in my previous post is not mine. It was posted years ago on this forum.

FYI:

Guide to Gas Pump Restoration says 1946-1959 Flying A porcelain pumps had decals and painted pumps had signs. Both were square, not round.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
BUT some DID have Company Signs screwed/bolted on Porcelain pumps.
Have had several both ways [decals & signs].

G
gbates Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thanks for the tip.. saw the Flying A globe on Mike Slama's website and think it is a perfect match. Glass globe and not a cheapy plastic one...Flying A globe is outlined in the same shade of green! Plus it is from that period and they are both west coast! Pump is from the west coast division of Tokheim and the Flying A gas company is from the bay area if I am not mistaken. Keeping it true to its roots! This is the route I am going to take! Thanks for all of your input!!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IF your adding a FLYING A globe to a 64 National, it should be a 13.5" Capco [plastic body].

G
gbates Offline OP
OP Offline
G
what is a Capco? is that the appropriate size? Thanks for the heads up before I spent the money....

Last edited by gbates; Thu Aug 25 2011 09:03 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

G
gbates Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Was looking at perhaps Texaco Fire chief ad glass...were any Texaco pumps green? Would this look strange? I really like the Texaco logos...All the pumps I see are red...

Last edited by gbates; Fri Aug 26 2011 10:42 PM.
G
gbates Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thanks for all your input on my first pump! Here it is semi restored..Thanks to Gas Pump Heaven who gave me info on this pump and informed me that only Flying A had these green porcelin pumps, so I was able to keep it true to original. Still having difficulty with the spinner replacement (any suggestions? see spinner help post) Well were it is!

pumpCa.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It looks great!

C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
Great job !

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard