Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#270492 Sat Aug 27 2011 06:14 PM
OP Offline
Well, I got my first visible today! It is a G&B 176 First version (I assume)acording to the ID book by Jack Sim.The pump has great solid skins,original glass cylinder.Great shape in my opinion!

Anyway,I have a question for you pros that have been there done that!The pump is froze up and will not move.Can I remove the skin off one side to try to free up the pump?It does not look like there is much holding these together other than the skins.Would it help if I braced up under the pipe that goes to the tank?

I am going to do a complete restoration on this but it will be a couple of months before I start(Have to recuperate from the purchase of the pump)!But untill then I would like to get the pump freed up and do a few other things.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
55gasser #270518 Sat Aug 27 2011 07:11 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I Suggest you work on removing the glass cylinder BEFORE attempting ANY things else. A Broken cyl. can/will cost $500+ to REPLACE w/ glass.

IF you insist on removing the Front [NOT THE BACK] sheet metal before removing Cyl. TIE the upper area to a strong post as it will be somewhat top heavy.
MOST G&B T-176's have a Brass sleeve over the steel rod that slides in/out of pump mech. A little rust/moisture gets in there & the rod refuses to slide either way.

TAKE LOTS OF PICTURES BEFORE & DURING DIS-ASSEMBLY & burn to a CD, COMPUTERS do crash & PIC'S will be lost.
Been there, Done that.
db

55gasser #270603 Sun Aug 28 2011 08:22 AM
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
We fill the pain from recovery. But DB right first thing remove the cylinder and put in a safe place .All the metal can be repaired,but breaking a glass cylinder will make you cry like i did. Take the before and after pictures.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved