Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#270611 Sun Aug 28 2011 09:31 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Quick question.
I am restoring 2 M&S/Wayne 80 Conoco pumps and have heard varying remarks about the new, after market door gaskets. I have heard from a handful of people that when they have restored these pumps to just leave the door gaskets off. The reasoning given is two fold:
1. The restoration gaskets are junk and just don't look correct or fit right.
2. The pump also looks cleaner without them.
I also need to be pointed in the right direction on where to find a Red Premium Ad Glass insert. One of mine is cracked.
Any thoughts or help with this would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks.....

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
I completely disagree with both 1 & 2. On the M&S 80 if you don't have a gasket the doors won't latch correctly in my opinion. It will also prevent the doors from chipping paint when it presses up against the side skins. If your going to restore a pump, restore it, don't half ***** it. Here is a M&S 80 I did.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I just looks right with the gasket. Just my two cents. Any of the aftermaket places have the red premium ad glass. Just take your pick.

Mike

Last edited by DasFast1; Sun Aug 28 2011 10:45 AM.

Life is like a video game. The more you play, the better you get!!!
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
We have restored a bunch of these pumps and never used the door rubber. You can see some on my site. Just a choice on my part. Never lost a sale because it was not there. There was an older version that had actual one piece hinges.It did not use the rubber and was shipped this way from the factory. The adglass might have to be fabricated? Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Sent ya a PM.

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
When installing these door gaskets do you use the pop rivets supplied with the kit or do you use something else? How do you guys get the curves to lay down flat without starting to wrinkle?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I like the finished look with it, plus it will help prevent potential damage.
Just my personal opinion.

Looking for anything JENNEY OIL OR GAS
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Originally Posted By: tbert1
When installing these door gaskets do you use the pop rivets supplied with the kit or do you use something else? How do you guys get the curves to lay down flat without starting to wrinkle?

You need to cut away the excess rubber. Start by making relief cuts in the wrinkles then cut the excess away. This will make it bend with the curve of the door easier. The gasket however will move away from the door when it's not closed. To me it’s not that big of a deal since the door is usually closed. However you can use double sided tape to help in the corners if you want. The best adhesive I've used is that window covering tape you put over windows in the winter. I think most hardware stores sell the tape separate from the kits. Anyway, you have to go through the same thing by applying one side and then making occasional relief cuts, trim the excess and once you like the way it lays, take the covering off the tape and stick the gasket to it. To me this is a bigger pain than its worth but it is another option. All depends on how picky you are.

Mike

Life is like a video game. The more you play, the better you get!!!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved