Print Thread
#27057 Mon Feb 12 2007 08:52 AM
C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Quick question...

I finally got a blast cabinet of my own for doing small stuff, cast iron, etc and noticed the sticker that said "Do not use SAND or media containing Free Silica" and was wondering why? Aside from the obvious health risks (always wear a respirator), why can't you use this media in a blast cabinet? I typically use plain old sand in my pot blaster to blast frames, etc cause its cheap and can't really be recycled when blasting out in the open and I really don't care if there's some minor pitting on frames etc. Anyone have an idea?

Chris

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
The health risk to humans, silicosis is a respiratory disease resulting from the inhalation of crystalline silica. It typically occurs after decades of exposure (but can occur quickly in cases of massive infusion of freshly crushed silica), during which crystalline silica is trapped in the lungs, because the crystalline particles repeatedly injure the lining of the lung wall, and we mount an immune response (technically a nodular fibrosing pneumoconiosis, if anyone cares ). There is more to the disease than simple cutting, however. When crystalline silica is deposited in the lung, SiOH groups on the surface of the particle eventually form chemical bonds to membrane proteins and phospholipids, and these chemical reactions with the lung lining lead to denaturation of the membrane proteins and phosopholipids. Ware a reparatory don’t breathe the dust.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Mr Bill (edited 02-12-2007).]

Bill
C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Thanks Bill! Is that the only reason? I always wear a full mask respirator when I'm blasting, in the open or a cabinet. I was aware that Silca is particularly bad for you, but glass beads, black beauty, etc can't be that much better?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
As long as you don't breath the dust you will be ok.....the dust is some MEAN stuff
if you breath much...Yeah what is glass made from .....silica....but I think it has something to do with sharpness of the dust paticals....beads may breakdown different.
Joe

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Howdy Chris,
Just my 2 cents but with everybody trying to sue companies for health risks using their products the blast cabinet company is doing their part in warning the consumer and covering their ASSets.
My next BIG tool purchase will be a blast cabinet. I have so many projects in need of one.
Mike

C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Thanks for the replies. I figured it must have had something to do with the liability aspect but wasn't 100% sure. I'll probably use a less pitting abraisive for the small stuff I do in the cabinet, but was just curious. I've found that the $3 a bag "play sand" when run through a screen strainer is great for blasting big stuff like frames outside... why spend $15-20 a bag on the more expensive stuff? I take my skins to a professional though, less pitting and warping that way.

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I use silica sand in my blaster. It is a open blaster I use out side in the open. I also wear a full face filtered mask. I also wear one of those white full body suits to keep the sand out of my clothes. It is a dirty job but it brings out the best results. Like everyone else has said the dust is real nasty stuff.

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
I use silica in my cabinet. I tried using the industrial sand from a friend with a big sandblaster and the sand ate out my tips really fast. I went back to silica. I also like it because it doesn't pit the cast aluminum as bad as the industrial.

Alan
Custom Decal Printing
www.KILLERDECALS.com
C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Brad, by the way, tried sending you a few emails but they got bounced back. Got the globe and it looks great! Thanks!

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Glad you are happy with the globe Chris. Also glad to help get it to you. This is what this site is about helping each other out

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
go to www.tptools.com for blast cabinets, supplies and info. they are great.

Rick H, Sacramento Ca.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved